Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM

138 posts, read 181,628 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Just learned something yesterday that blew my mind. Apparently Einstein discovered a state of matter other than solid, liquid, gas and plasma -- it's what happens to the atom as it nears absolute zero.

At that point, the atom is unable to tell where it is, or what it is, and as a consequence it goes it into an identity crisis. At that point it is everywhere and nowhere at once.

At absolute zero, entropy (chaos) reaches the minimum possible value.

In the meditation traditions, the goal is to free oneself from the confines of the mind -- the chaos of the mind. In some spiritual traditions, they believe that God is everywhere/everything, and the ultimate spiritual goal is to melt and merge with God -- to cease to identify, and to relinquish the ego.

Thus, once the human reaches the minimum value in chaos, he ceases to identify as a human, and, giving up his ego, is able to just be one with all that is.

So, here we see that the goal in the meditative traditions actually matches what occurs to an atom when it reaches the minimum value in chaos.

Your thoughts?

Peace!
Light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I have no idea how this relates to meditation or god...But the physics are interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28F_oPDZHSk

Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
What a wonderful analogy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks! Peace!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have no idea how this relates to meditation or god...But the physics are interesting.

This is an awesome video! Thanks for posting it!

When I said this somehow matches up with the idea of the spiritual goals of meditation, what I meant, is that in the meditative traditions, the mind is seen as a chaotic state. We have so many thoughts crowding our awareness, that we are unable to see objective reality as it truly is. It is the chaos that disturbs our awareness. It is also disturbed by our need to identify: I'm a male; I'm American; I'm Christian; I'm tall; I'm a civil engineer; etc. All of these aspects of identification are centered in the ego.

In the meditative traditions, the goal is to release the ego -- and to be freed of the chaos of the mind. Eventually, the yogi realizes that there is no need to identify with any of the categories to which he belongs. In this advanced state of spiritual evolution, he is content to just melt and merge with all that is -- becoming one with all that is. In that "frame of mind," if you could even still relate that experience to "mind," the person would not need to cling to any aspect of his ego, his personality, his self. He would be content to just have reached his goal -- becoming one with all that is. In this state, he is finally freed from the chaos of the mind. He is everywhere and nowhere at once -- and is one with all that is.

So, when I learned about these atoms and their behavior at absolute zero -- the minimum possible value in entropy, and thus, the minimum possible value in chaos -- I realized that the atom then behaves just as the yogi expects to feel, as he attains to spiritual enlightenment, releasing his ego and melting and merging with all that is.

Just as the atom ceases to identify, and feels itself to be everywhere/everything at once, so, too, does the yogi cease to identify, becoming everywhere/everything at once.

That's why I drew the parallel between this state of matter and the goal of the meditative traditions -- because they are the same goal/state of being.

I don't say any of this from personal experience, but instead from my understanding of the topic (to the extent I can understand it).

What do you think?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:49 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
I liken the meditative state to just witnessing........ no thinking. When you get good at it, you can do it anywhere, while walking, laying down, sitting etc.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Walking is Zen; sitting is Zen.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I liken the meditative state to just witnessing........ no thinking. When you get good at it, you can do it anywhere, while walking, laying down, sitting etc.

This is true. Although it takes (at least for me) a great deal of work to get it.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Thanks for sharing sanspeur...it's definitely intriguing!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Here's a nice little article about the physics you mentioned. Check out the pic of of the rubidium atoms as they collapse and "go into a meditative state." Cheers!

Happy News - What Happens at Absolute Zero?

The description in the video is like drops returning back to the ocean....... as you say, losing their individual identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality