Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times

Advertisements

It seems very strange to me that the Bible spends so much time discussing the unimportance of wealth and material things but have any of you read Revelations 21 which describes heaven? Here's a portion of it:

Quote:
He took me in spirit to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God.
It gleamed with the splendor of God. Its radiance was like that of a precious stone, like jasper, clear as crystal.
It had a massive, high wall, with twelve gates where twelve angels were stationed and on which names were inscribed, (the names) of the twelve tribes of the Israelites.
There were three gates facing east, three north, three south, and three west.
The wall of the city had twelve courses of stones as its foundation, on which were inscribed the twelve names of the twelve apostles 11 of the Lamb.
12 The one who spoke to me held a gold measuring rod to measure the city, its gates, and its wall.
The city was square, its length the same as (also) its width. He measured the city with the rod and found it fifteen hundred miles 13 in length and width and height.
He also measured its wall: one hundred and forty-four cubits 14 according to the standard unit of measurement the angel used.
15 The wall was constructed of jasper, while the city was pure gold, clear as glass.
The foundations of the city wall were decorated with every precious stone; the first course of stones was jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald,
the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh hyacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.
The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made from a single pearl; and the street of the city was of pure gold, transparent as glass.
16 I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God almighty and the Lamb.
17 The city had no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gave it light, and its lamp was the Lamb.
The nations will walk by its light, 18 and to it the kings of the earth will bring their treasure.
During the day its gates will never be shut, and there will be no night there.
The treasure and wealth of the nations will be brought there,
but nothing unclean will enter it, nor any (one) who does abominable things or tells lies. Only those will enter whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Doesn't this description of unimaginable wealth seem to contradict the basic philosophy of the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
In heaven it's about beauty not wealth. You won't be using any of this to buy a thing.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Jazzedforhim wrote:
Quote:
In heaven it's about beauty not wealth.
Did you check out number 26 "the treasure and wealth of the nations will be brought here". If it's not about wealth then why would heaven take the largest plunder in the history of mankind, basically everything of any value, and put it in heaven?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
In heaven it's about beauty not wealth. You won't be using any of this to buy a thing.
Yes! When I look at the beauty that is here for us to enjoy I get very excited because the beauty of Heaven will be so much greater and to be in the presence of Jesus forever!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:17 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Once again, these all seem like manmade imaginations to me. The heat of hell alone is one that comes to mind. I'm taking it that spirits can feel hot and cold and pain right? Because there would be no other way for something to be miserable. Likewise, in heaven, God has the perfect AC system because everyone is so comfortable and at peace. What is there to do in heaven? I'm sure the only reason there's no mention of watching TV in heaven is because it hadn't been invented yet! I bet that if the TV had been invented around the time the bible was made up it would say "And in heaven lie a jumbo TV, and all the men will gather around and watch football in awe of it." It's just ridiculous.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Jazzedforhim wrote:

Did you check out number 26 "the treasure and wealth of the nations will be brought here". If it's not about wealth then why would heaven take the largest plunder in the history of mankind, basically everything of any value, and put it in heaven?
What version of the bible are you getting that from? King James (and all the other major ones) say different.

Revelation 21:26 (King James Version)

26And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Jazzedforhim wrote:
Quote:
What version of the bible are you getting that from?
Actually I got it from the internet and I just went back and checked and it looked like it's Catholic. All of my belongings are packed so I can't check my Bible (yes, I do actually have one). How does yours compare with the rest of the text?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Once again, these all seem like manmade imaginations to me. The heat of hell alone is one that comes to mind. I'm taking it that spirits can feel hot and cold and pain right? Because there would be no other way for something to be miserable. Likewise, in heaven, God has the perfect AC system because everyone is so comfortable and at peace. What is there to do in heaven? I'm sure the only reason there's no mention of watching TV in heaven is because it hadn't been invented yet! I bet that if the TV had been invented around the time the bible was made up it would say "And in heaven lie a jumbo TV, and all the men will gather around and watch football in awe of it." It's just ridiculous.
What we'll be doing is worshiping and praising Jesus and thanking Him for saving us from eternal hell. Don't you want to join us

Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Jesus prepares a place for us. Regardless of how it "looks" it will be one of complete peace.

John 14:1-4
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

Revelation 21:4 (King James Version)
4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:40 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,063 times
Rev. 21: 26 in the NKJV states it as, "And they shall bring the glory and honor of the nations into it".

This means, as I have read the interpretations, that we, His people, will bring the glory that He gave to us into His place that He has prepared for us. We will give back the glory and honor to Him in gratitude for having prepared a place for us.

Revelation is a difficult book to read being that it is written from the viewpoint of someone 2,000 years ago who had a vision. I wonder sometimes what it would be like for someone of our time and age to have the same vision and interpret it in our present day language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality