Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
For now lets start with reading the introduction.
Jazzed: Are we reading the intro of "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist?"

--I'm a bit slow today; just wanted to make sure that I am "on the same page" (literally, as well as metaphorically!) as everyone else!

Thanks,
June
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,227,358 times
Quote:
Yes, please do join in! We're reading "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" by norman geisler first. Then the God Delusion.

We're just getting started!
Fine, I'll order it now. I'll catch up with you once I get it.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,904,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Jazzed: Are we reading the intro of "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist?"

--I'm a bit slow today; just wanted to make sure that I am "on the same page" (literally, as well as metaphorically!) as everyone else!

Thanks,
June
Yes, we're reading the introduction. Maybe I should make new posts for the reading assignments?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Fine, I'll order it now. I'll catch up with you once I get it.
Welcome Ian! I think we are going to have some great conversations. Are you an atheist or believer? Male or female?

Here's the breakdown for those already doing the challenge:

Name b/a m/f
MontanaGuy a M
June 7th a F
alpha8207 b M
blue62 b F
jazzedforhim b F
winkie2 b f

Hmm...I just noticed that most of the people that backed out were atheists. We need more atheists I think.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Default IDHEFTBAA Reading 1

Please read through the introduction to page 33.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM

73 posts, read 346,278 times
Smile yes!

Book just arrived, I am now an official participant.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkie2 View Post
Book just arrived, I am now an official participant.
All right...we are a complete team now! I hope others will join in too!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Default IDHEFTBAA Introduction

Quote:
Please read through the introduction to page 33.

Disclaimer: I have never been in a book club of any type, much less done this online so I will never be offended by anyone stepping up to add things or suggest changes!

Questions to think about/discuss
1) Do you believe in absolute truth?
2) If you were presented evidence of Christianity would you be open to hearing it as the authurs discuss on page 30-31? What if you heard evidence against Christianity?
3) Is there any part of the introduction that concerned you?
4) Is there any part of the book that you are particularly looking forward to?

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/character00248.gif (broken link)

Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,860,068 times
Quote:
Disclaimer: I have never been in a book club of any type, much less done this online so I will never be offended by anyone stepping up to add things or suggest changes!

Questions to think about/discuss
1) Do you believe in absolute truth?
2) If you were presented evidence of Christianity would you be open to hearing it as the authurs discuss on page 30-31? What if you heard evidence against Christianity?
3) Is there any part of the introduction that concerned you?
4) Is there any part of the book that you are particularly looking forward to?

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/character00248.gif (broken link)

I thought, when I read it, that the intro was a bit condescending to an atheist. Understand though, that at the time I was reading it, I had MontanaGuy in mind and was thinking 'What will MG think?" the whole time.

But I will say this, the point of will wass very interesting. I know people, and people on this forum who will themselves to NOT believe. In other words, they don't want to believe and so they don't. If the evidence is looked at objectively and you look at the reasonable doubt aspect, I think there's substantially as much evidence for God than against.

Thoughts?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Alpha:
I was thinking the same thing about the introduction being a bit harsher towards the atheist...and I was wondering the same thing...if I was a atheist what would I think of this and would I still be objective in my reasoning while reading? I guess well need more athesists to speak on that.

If I had evidence against Christianity I would look at it objectively. True, I am going in with a bias, but I would look at it. In fact, I think that's what we do now on this board a lot of times...debating the issues and such, but with less factual evidence.

I'm really looking forward to reading more of this book...I mean the whole thing. I found the idea that you need more faith to be an atheist very interesting. I had never really thought about it like that before. I think many times Christians are so busy defending themselves that they don't even realize how much evidence there really is. I'm looking forward to finding out more!

I was a bit comforted about the discussion on will. Because sometimes I feel like I'm laying out a good "case" for Christ and sometimes people just don't want to believe or even conceed that you MIGHT be right. Even when I was a non-believer I thought there probably was a God but I just thought everyone worshipped the same one in the end. So, it was kind of neat to know sometimes people are just not open to it no matter what you say. I really work on not being that way personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality