Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Yes this is a great resource for normal people. I've had so many books destroyed from the library it is actually cheaper for me to buy them online or at Borders...LOL
LOL... but if you're friendly to your librarian, we just might cut you a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I have no idea how to do this! Suggestions please! We could read one together and then discuss as we go...or read the opposite one of our belief and discuss. What do ya'll (more Texas practice) think?

I went to the local bookstore tonight. Man, The God Delusion is only in hardback right now so it was $26.00! I waited to get it because well, that's a lot of money...when's the softback coming out? Also, I hadn't checked the computer yet so I wasn't sure if there were enough wanting to participate. Ya'll have been busy over here. And, to answer your question Alpha it is a pretty long book.

Another thing I'd like to do, if you "guys" are cool with it is identify everyone's gender. I am female...but I have no idea which way to address you all...he/she...I'm so confussed!

I'm excited about doing this! I would really like to have the thread be as MontanaGuy suggested: conversations of respect and with information gathering in mind and not personal attacks.

Here's who I have so far:
MontanaGuy
June 7th
gizmo980
alpha8207
gcstroop

Did I miss anyone?
Yes, we have reading assignments. I'm going to order the books tomorrow from Amazon. I do need feedback from ya'll however...what is the best way to do this online?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Default Suggestions...

1- Decide what book we are reading first
2- Set a date by which we all need to get that book
3- Determine how much to read (first chapter to be discussed, or up to a certain page? The entire book?)
4- Determine when that should be read by
5- On the designated "to be read by" date, post a question based upon the reading...

--And you can just keep on repeating that. After completing the first book, we do the same with the second. (Which at that point, we will all have had enough time to order/purchase the second...)

That's my best idea. I've been in book groups in the past where they did it that way, but this is my first "cyberspace" book discussion group, so I'm open to anything!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
June7

That sounds like a good plan. I would really like to read the book "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist" and since it seems that those who are atheists have already read The God Delusion that might be a good place to start for us all.

Date: Our group is pretty small so let's notify each other when we get the book. I may try to order through the bookstore, since it will be a bit faster. We start when we all have it.

Yeah? No?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I would really like to read the book "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist" and since it seems that those who are atheists have already read The God Delusion that might be a good place to start for us all.
Jazzed: So which book are we starting with?? (Haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, so I'm still waking up!!) --Also, are we all set on the two above listed titles? (In the event people decide to order them online in one "fell swoop.")

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I've got both books so I'm all set. Also, I order from Amazon all the time, it's cheaper and it comes right to your mailbox. I guess once we've got them you can work out how to coordinate our reading. Hey, it's just like a school assignment. Oh, and you asked about genders. Obviously I'm a guy, so is Alpha, & GCSTroop. June 7th and Gizmo are female. I hope we get solidsquid since his posts are so good (at least I think he's a guy) and maybe we can get a few more while we're waiting for books.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've got both books so I'm all set. Also, I order from Amazon all the time, it's cheaper and it comes right to your mailbox. I guess once we've got them you can work out how to coordinate our reading. Hey, it's just like a school assignment. Oh, and you asked about genders. Obviously I'm a guy, so is Alpha, & GCSTroop. June 7th and Gizmo are female. I hope we get solidsquid since his posts are so good (at least I think he's a guy) and maybe we can get a few more while we're waiting for books.
I'm lovin' this "school assignment!" Looks like Gizmo and I might have to "recruite" some more women just to round things out here along gender lines! What is the breakdown between believers vs nonbelievers? (Ideally, it would be great if one side didn't outweigh the other, ie, a balance on both sides would be terrific!)

Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I'm lovin' this "school assignment!" Looks like Gizmo and I might have to "recruite" some more women just to round things out here along gender lines! What is the breakdown between believers vs nonbelievers? (Ideally, it would be great if one side didn't outweigh the other, ie, a balance on both sides would be terrific!)
If I were a bettin' man, I'd say the nons are gonna outweigh the believers. But we'll see.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
june 7th wrote:
Quote:
Ideally, it would be great if one side didn't outweigh the other, ie, a balance on both sides would be terrific!)
You know that's a good point. I think we've got more atheists so far. It would be good if we could find a few more daring souls (and I use the term loosely) from the believers just to round it out.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Recruitment

Hey, Montana, since you are the academician thread starter, and obviously very diplomatic in how you word things, you could always "recruit" some more believers out there! (Then again, I suspect there are those who have already read this thread and decided "No way!") --But perhaps over time, more people will sign on. I think Jazzed came up with a tremendous idea, as it is an invitation to both believers and nonbelievers alike to look into, and better understand, each other's perspectives...I just thought it would be interesting to see atheists genuinelly engaging the believers to join in.

--And by "recruitment" I did NOT mean "convert" -- Just looking for a more balanced representation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality