Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "causes" homosexuality?
Biological factors that we are just now beginning to understand. 88 62.86%
Being molested as a child. 3 2.14%
A particularly fabulous strain of the flu! 1 0.71%
Nothing causes it, it is a choice made by the individual. 17 12.14%
An unclean, demonic spirit has possessed or oppressed gays and they need deliverance. 8 5.71%
A combo of 2 or 3 of these options. (Please explain via post) 16 11.43%
None of the above. (Please explain via post) 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,409,545 times

Advertisements

Eeesh, gotta make this fast because my show is coming on at 9:00. Big Brother rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I understand. I said it only from the perspective of times in my life when I have faced life altering, faith testing situations, that it has always helped to have someone who has actually been through similar (if not the same) situations to vent to, discuss, learn from, what have you. As I said before, I pray that you find what you are looking for.
I'm not trying to sound snide - truly, I'm not. It's not a personal thing against you. I admit, I haven't read all the responses in this thread. That's not fair of me, I confess. You may have explained your position elsewhere and I haven't seen it. But I'm coming from the perspective of living this for the past 26 years of my life (I'm 41), so it seems a bit odd to hear someone say I should talk to someone who has "been through" something that I know intimately well. I know it better than 90% of the world's population.

If I told you I was looking for a Christian guy to have a permanent, loving, committed, monogamous, romantic, emotionally intimate and fulfilling relationship with, would you still pray that I found that?

Gizmo - Hoosier, I'll address your posts later. Gotta date with my TV in a few minutes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy
Thanks brittz for what you said regarding me. I know WCRob doesn't want to talk to me about this topic and I totally respect that. I'm putting it out there that anyone can always send me a private message about this topic. As many of you have seen I am very transparent about who I am. I'm not gonna argue with anyone on this topic because I know how emotional this topic is...especially for those of us that are gay, or have been gay.
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to discount whatever your experience may have been, as if it wasn't a genuine change that took place with you. I'm certainly not saying you can't help anyone, or wouldn't be an inspiration to people. I just meant that whatever your experience was, I'm answerable to God. I've heard all the different theories about what causes homosexuality, and likewise how people have been "set free" from it. It's not something that has happened with me, and so whatever the solution was that gave YOU peace may not necessarily be what would give ME peace.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,698,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to discount whatever your experience may have been, as if it wasn't a genuine change that took place with you. I'm certainly not saying you can't help anyone, or wouldn't be an inspiration to people. I just meant that whatever your experience was, I'm answerable to God. I've heard all the different theories about what causes homosexuality, and likewise how people have been "set free" from it. It's not something that has happened with me, and so whatever the solution was that gave YOU peace may not necessarily be what would give ME peace.

You are so very right! I am right there with you on that point. How God works in my life does not mean He will work the same in your life or anyone else's life. The sin is still the sin no matter what. I am answerable for everything I do, say and write. I will stand judgement before Him just like you and everyone else.

When I started sharing my testimony about 6 months ago I never imagined I could help anyone. It was my deep dark secret that I was too embarrassed and ashamed to tell anyone. It's interesting to watch how God changes our course in life when we allow Him to do so. When we give Him the steering wheel and ask for His guidance.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,776,432 times
Wow Jeff! 18 pages on this in two days?! Is that a record?

I find it amusing how people goad you and push your buttons to the limit, and then admonish you for "attacking other forumers". What a bunch of junk.

I'll have to give you some reppies to help you out.

BTW: I'm with you on this (and WCRob, and irishmom, et al), and not the people who keep comparing being gay with murder, rape, incest, terrorism, pedophilia, necromancy, oligarchy, etc. I guess the whole WWJD thing is over with then?

edit: there, my first rep points EVER bequethed to anyone on city-data.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,756,097 times
Look Hoosier... I changed my "title" just for you!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,427,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hopefully I addressed your question in my above post. Feel free to respond, as I love discussing human love, desire, and sexuality and pondering what makes us "us" when it comes to attraction.

There's no possible way you can embarrass me when it comes to sexuality -- I've been through, heard, and had to explain it all.
Sorry to "post and run", I had some stuff to catch up on. You certainly did address my question, and quite eloquently I might add. As I said, I wasn't trying to point the proverbial finger and say "Look everyone we have one of them there gay people on our forum" so I wanted to apologize ahead of time in case you got that impression. I think I largely agree with you in your response and I wanted to say thanks for your candor and openness. The only other question I have is: At what point in your life did you know that you were gay? The reason I ask is because I'm sure a lot of people (mostly religious) feel that you probably made this choice. I'm assuming that from a very young age you knew that you were different somehow. From my experience, as a heterosexual, I have known a homosexual man from the time he was about five years old. Even at that young an age it was a pretty easy thing to tell. Once again, I don't see how anybody at the age of five could make a decision such as that and then live their entire adolescent lives being picked on, tormented, and bullied only to not change their minds. To me, it is a great injustice to try and demoralize and demean people based on their sexual preference. Is homosexuality caused at birth? Perhaps sometimes, if not a lot of times. But, is it a birth defect as some would want to say? I think not. We are all born different, and if we were all perfect it'd be a pretty boring world. Best of luck to you jab!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 AM

508 posts, read 1,669,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What if he's looking to be left alone about his sexuality, and to live in peace? I don't mean to sound snarky, it's a serious question!
Then so be it. The only reason I even addressed it was because Rob said that he was looking for explanation and I thought I saw a desire for understanding, reaching out, etc. . . So I made the suggestion, which was all it was meant to be.

Obviously from Rob's posts that is in fact not what he is/was looking for so I let it drop as it became apparent that I was not doing any benefit.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
You are so very right! I am right there with you on that point. How God works in my life does not mean He will work the same in your life or anyone else's life. The sin is still the sin no matter what. I am answerable for everything I do, say and write. I will stand judgement before Him just like you and everyone else.

When I started sharing my testimony about 6 months ago I never imagined I could help anyone. It was my deep dark secret that I was too embarrassed and ashamed to tell anyone. It's interesting to watch how God changes our course in life when we allow Him to do so. When we give Him the steering wheel and ask for His guidance.
I've thought about some stuff, and I've changed my mind, Hoosier. I would like to hear your story after all, if you want to share it. Feel free to send me a PM, if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Then so be it. The only reason I even addressed it was because Rob said that he was looking for explanation and I thought I saw a desire for understanding, reaching out, etc. . . So I made the suggestion, which was all it was meant to be.

Obviously from Rob's posts that is in fact not what he is/was looking for so I let it drop as it became apparent that I was not doing any benefit.
I apologize, brittZ, for sounding like a raving lunatic. I was in yet another bad mood, and I recognize you were only trying to help.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,118,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Sorry to "post and run", I had some stuff to catch up on. You certainly did address my question, and quite eloquently I might add. As I said, I wasn't trying to point the proverbial finger and say "Look everyone we have one of them there gay people on our forum" so I wanted to apologize ahead of time in case you got that impression. I think I largely agree with you in your response and I wanted to say thanks for your candor and openness. The only other question I have is: At what point in your life did you know that you were gay? The reason I ask is because I'm sure a lot of people (mostly religious) feel that you probably made this choice. I'm assuming that from a very young age you knew that you were different somehow. From my experience, as a heterosexual, I have known a homosexual man from the time he was about five years old. Even at that young an age it was a pretty easy thing to tell. Once again, I don't see how anybody at the age of five could make a decision such as that and then live their entire adolescent lives being picked on, tormented, and bullied only to not change their minds. To me, it is a great injustice to try and demoralize and demean people based on their sexual preference. Is homosexuality caused at birth? Perhaps sometimes, if not a lot of times. But, is it a birth defect as some would want to say? I think not. We are all born different, and if we were all perfect it'd be a pretty boring world. Best of luck to you jab!
Ahhh, rational discussion about sexual orientation! How novel!

Yeah, you're right, I did know I was different when I was young -- in Kindergarten is really when it began to show, but that's probably because prior to that I lived in virtual isolation, on a 170 acre farm with no neighbors (and no neighbour kids!).

I began to realize that I was attracted to boys around the same time the other guys begin getting interested in girls. It took me many more years to come to terms with my sexuality (I'm 19 now).

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Post A Young Gay's Perspective

This whole thread has been extremely interesting to read as a gay male who's only 21. Coming from a very strong Christian background I struggled for several years in the home trying to fight off what was deemed to be sinful lust. I, more than a lot of people, desperatley wanted to change, but constantly found myself falling back into thoughts of men. All I found myself doing was getting more and more frustrated with myself and feeling very wicked. It wasn't until I left home and met some other gay guys that I realized that there was a life outside of conventional Christian life. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean they are inherently evil...I think it's all about the choices we make. I'm more interested in finding a man that will love me for me and obtaining success in this life like anyone else.

As far as where I believe my sexual orientation comes from, I find it difficult to say. I don't want to say it's a choice, because I didn't want this for myself and how many boys do you know that in 3rd grade were more interested in flirting with the boys than with the girls? It would apppear to lean more towards the biological side, but again who really knows yet? I just hope that in time people are able to realize more and more that homosexuals can actually be a big blessing in the lives of those they touch and are just as amazing of friends as any heterosexual person. For those of you that are having a tough time saying that homosexuality is permissable behavior, I can understand where you're coming from and you don't have to even like it, but please don't dismiss someone based simply on that. We all need eachother and the sooner you recognize your humanity before your religion the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality