Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "causes" homosexuality?
Biological factors that we are just now beginning to understand. 88 62.86%
Being molested as a child. 3 2.14%
A particularly fabulous strain of the flu! 1 0.71%
Nothing causes it, it is a choice made by the individual. 17 12.14%
An unclean, demonic spirit has possessed or oppressed gays and they need deliverance. 8 5.71%
A combo of 2 or 3 of these options. (Please explain via post) 16 11.43%
None of the above. (Please explain via post) 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well my argument if for actual adults...not children. Homosexual or heterosexual sex is not meant for 13 year olds and I would consider that to be sinful and child abuse. So for this thread let's assume the people involved are 18 or at least having sex with teens their same age (because we all know any sex probably is starting much younger than 18 these days...*sigh*).
OK. Now I wish the thread would slow down a little and let us actually debate these points. seems like this one's flying more like an instant message log.

Anyway, you realize that you just called a sin what some folks consider natural, right?

You do see that, don't you irishmom?

And jeff, a response to your post is en route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
No, she is pointing out that for such a hot topic, Jesus was conspicuosly silent on the subject. And for those that think it was not a hot topic, need I point you towards ancient Greece and Rome, among others?
Ok, so just shoot me, but here goes. Jesus did mention "fornication" Is this not usually defined as sex outside marriage?
And before anyone gets on the "yes, but homosexuals can't marry" bandwagon, let me just say that they couldn't in the time and society which Jesus lived either and I'm pretty sure He would have known that.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
And which countries are those? And how are they doing, generally?

You tell me. Here's a link I've thrown out there before.

A table of worldwide ages of consent, including US states

Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM

740 posts, read 2,014,076 times
Quote:
No I was asking where was Jesus quoted as saying homosexuality is wrong. As for the bible contradicting the bible, I'm pretty sure that's a topic for another thread all together.
If it is consistent with the teachings of the OT..., and Jesus's other teachings on lust, fornication, drunkenness.. I.E. They will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. I don't think that homosexuality being wrong is a stretch to believe that this is consistant with the teachings of Jesus.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OK. Now I wish the thread would slow down a little and let us actually debate these points. seems like this one's flying more like an instant message log.

Anyway, you realize that you just called a sin what some folks consider natural, right?

You do see that, don't you irishmom?

And jeff, a response to your post is en route.
Well it may be considered natural in some other country and culture but I can only relate to what I am accustomed to which is this country and it would not be considered natural or legal (I think) here. Remembering I'm from NYC and the have lived on the east coast my entire life...13 year olds are not considered the age of consent here. I think you have to be 17 here, but again I'm sure it happens earlier than that.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
it seems as though you are not reading the entire post or that you have no concept of Christianity. I dont know and dont care. The bottom line as I have said before, if you are homosexual and want to be Christian, you have to stop being homosexual. If you want to know why being homosexual is bad, ask God when you meet him. My personal thought is that children first need to learn to obey before they can learn to understand the reasoning.

If you arent trying to be a Christian, go do whatever the heck you want to do. Just dont stand on my yard and tell me I have to accept it.
Wow! So Christ-like, such an example of God's love. Glad we have you to tell us so authoritavely right from wrong, what would we do otherwise?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Well it may be considered natural in some other country and culture but I can only relate to what I am accustomed to which is this country and it would not be considered natural or legal (I think) here. Remembering I'm from NYC and the have lived on the east coast my entire life...13 year olds are not considered the age of consent here. I think you have to be 17 here, but again I'm sure it happens earlier than that.
Well, irish, that is exactly the point we're making, I think. At least partially. What you might consider 'natural', others don't. And vice versa. The OT here really isn't even all that religious in nature. It's 'What causes homosexuality?'

Just because a society says something is right or wrong, doesn't mean that it lines up with God's word.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You tell me. Here's a link I've thrown out there before.

A table of worldwide ages of consent, including US states
It proves my point, I think. Generally, countries with very young age of concent laws aren't doing fabulously.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,581 times
Quote:
And like I said previously, I said SEEMS to say...

Thanks!
Nice way to dodge the bullet. Dont commit to anything and it is easy to wiggle out if it comes back to bite.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Wow! So Christ-like, such an example of God's love. Glad we have you to tell us so authoritavely right from wrong, what would we do otherwise?
Um, I'm not sure if this is really 'attacking the idea rather than the poster', but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality