Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times

Advertisements

What is the nature of Jesus Christ? What is the nature of the Holy Spirit? What is the nature of the Father? The question of the Trinity is fundamental to your understanding of the the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I won't go so far as to say that somebody is automatically condemned because of a heterodox understanding of the Trinity; but I will say that a degree of understanding about the Trinity can keep one from advancing in certain heresies that may lead away from Salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
What is the nature of Jesus Christ? What is the nature of the Holy Spirit? What is the nature of the Father? The question of the Trinity is fundamental to your understanding of the the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I won't go so far as to say that somebody is automatically condemned because of a heterodox understanding of the Trinity; but I will say that a degree of understanding about the Trinity can keep one from advancing in certain heresies that may lead away from Salvation.
My point is that a misunderstanding in this particular area of Christian doctrine will not automatically condemn said person to an eternity in hell. The OP is if it is a must...I believe it's important, but not necessary.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My point is that a misunderstanding in this particular area of Christian doctrine will not automatically condemn said person to an eternity in hell. The OP is if it is a must...I believe it's important, but not necessary.
I think we said essentially the same thing. But, I do think that there's a limit to how far you can take it (for example, Christ being man but not God, etc)

Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I guess my question was just in relation to Oneness theology.

Our church allowed a Christian weight loss/bible study to go on. It was called The Weigh Down program. Then one day Gwen Shamblin decided she no longer believed in the Trinity and she and her husband now lead a church in Tennessee.

Our church immediately stopped the bible study, as did most Evangelical churches in the USA.

I agreed with their decision and do believe in the Trinity, but I remember having some Oneness Pentecostals in our Christian school and I don't remember people making a huge deal out of it.

I was just curious what you all thought.

Dawn

Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I guess my question was just in relation to Oneness theology.

Our church allowed a Christian weight loss/bible study to go on. It was called The Weigh Down program. Then one day Gwen Shamblin decided she no longer believed in the Trinity and she and her husband now lead a church in Tennessee.

Our church immediately stopped the bible study, as did most Evangelical churches in the USA.

I agreed with their decision and do believe in the Trinity, but I remember having some Oneness Pentecostals in our Christian school and I don't remember people making a huge deal out of it.

I was just curious what you all thought.

Dawn
Are you kidding me? Wow! I have done the Weigh Down program too. I'm surprised I must say. I doubt our church would allow it either in that event.
Again, while not seen as a tenet essential to salvation, I do think most Trinitarian churches view that as pretty significant.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
I too believe, like maniac, that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are three seperate and distinct personages. Was Jesus praying to Himself in the garden of gethsemane? or at Lazarus's tomb? When he said he was going about his Father's business, was he talking about his own? When he said on the cross Father into your hands I commend my spirit was he talking to himself? When the Holy Spirit like a dove descened on Jesus when he was baptized was it himself?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Yes! You can read what others have said about it or even go directly to her website or her church's website and read about it. She wrote a huge letter online about how God showed her that there really was no Trinity, etc.....

I am really not sure her husband actually has any seminary training. I think they just off and started their own church to brake away from their former church that embraced the theology of the Trinity.

This was almost 5 years ago that they started their church and our church quit using her program.

Dawn

Here is one from the top of my google search: Weigh Down Diet leader Gwen Shamblin denies the Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Are you kidding me? Wow! I have done the Weigh Down program too. I'm surprised I must say. I doubt our church would allow it either in that event.
Again, while not seen as a tenet essential to salvation, I do think most Trinitarian churches view that as pretty significant.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
John 1:1-3 "In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and He was God. He was in the beginning with God. He created everything there is. Nothing exists that He didn't make." John shows us that Jesus is fully human and fully God. Although Jesus took upon himself hull humanity and lived as a man, He never ceased to be the eternal God who has always existed.
John 12:45 (this is Jesus talking) "For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me". Jesus said plainly that those who see Him see God because He is God.
John 14:8-9 "Philip said Lord show us the Father and we will be satisfied. Jesus replied Philip don't you even yet know who I am, even after all the time I have been with you? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. So why are you asking to see Him"?
Jesus is the visible tangible image of the inviable God. Jesus explained to Philip who wanted to see God that to know Jesus is to know God.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM

I'll be completely honest and say that I know absolutely nothing about Oneness theology.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 PM

26 posts, read 74,345 times
Gwen Shamblin is nothing any different than any of your money making motivational speakers. I also signed up for her workshop, but I also had skepticism about her ideas and teachings. I could hardly stand to hear her speak-sounded so Tennessee-like-it took everything in my power to get through those video taped sessions! She is trying to evangelize in the oneness technique and I have seen many come and go in that arena ( Tilton, Oral Roberts,TWGrant) just to name a few. Oneness evangelists tend to be big into the business of money and the greed of money.
Gwen is also noted by the watchman Fellowship as starting up controversy that she knows nothing about. Believe me-she is no different from any Scientologist or anyone trying to capitalize onto vulnerable victims. Stay away from WDW, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality