Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,776,388 times

Advertisements

Science rules textbook decision, for now: James Gill | NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM

245 posts, read 454,019 times
I wish I could share in your enthusiasm. Unfortunately that was only the Textbook/Media/Library Advisory Council.

Per the article, "The victory is a preliminary one, however, for the council merely makes a recommendation. The final decision rests with the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, where the Louisiana Family Forum and other creationist stalwarts have always found a sympathetic ear."

I hope the writer is correct though, "No doubt the creationists now figure they will fare better back before BESE than when they were trying to lean on the advisory council, but maybe the advisory council vote signals that the tide has finally turned against them."

Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,776,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
I wish I could share in your enthusiasm. Unfortunately that was only the Textbook/Media/Library Advisory Council.

Per the article, "The victory is a preliminary one, however, for the council merely makes a recommendation. The final decision rests with the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, where the Louisiana Family Forum and other creationist stalwarts have always found a sympathetic ear."

I hope the writer is correct though, "No doubt the creationists now figure they will fare better back before BESE than when they were trying to lean on the advisory council, but maybe the advisory council vote signals that the tide has finally turned against them."
True, I guess I am just being optimistic.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,847,341 times
Quote:

Why do they even waste their time doing this? Because it always gets struck down in the end.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,698,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Why do they even waste their time doing this? Because it always gets struck down in the end.
The get votes from the ignorant and don't have to pay the legal bills to defend their indefensible actions. There's basically no consequence for intentionally making decisions which are illegal.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I guess because it would be defeatist not to. If no one still made a stand, then the 'line in the sand' would be pushed beyond recovery. Over the past couple of years, I've actually allowed my true perspective to 'come out of hiding' in the 'real world'. It's not comfortable (South Louisiana), but it is so much more satisfying. I can't claim to have made any large scale differences, but I know I've made some on the smaller scale by prompting people to think. Some of those people, to my delight, are proving to voracious and vocal.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I guess because it would be defeatist not to. If no one still made a stand, then the 'line in the sand' would be pushed beyond recovery. Over the past couple of years, I've actually allowed my true perspective to 'come out of hiding' in the 'real world'. It's not comfortable (South Louisiana), but it is so much more satisfying. I can't claim to have made any large scale differences, but I know I've made some on the smaller scale by prompting people to think. Some of those people, to my delight, are proving to voracious and vocal.

I'm not saying you shouldn't stand up for your rights, but it's obvious in 30 years of rulings these things always get struck down. The same with restrictive abortion laws....it's 2010....things are never going to return back to the past.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying you shouldn't stand up for your rights, but it's obvious in 30 years of rulings these things always get struck down. The same with restrictive abortion laws....it's 2010....things are never going to return back to the past.
Sorry, I confused. I'm not on the Creationist side. I assumed you weren't either. Is that correct?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I confused. I'm not on the Creationist side. I assumed you weren't either. Is that correct?

If my name didn't clue you in then i don't know what will . And i wasn't railing at you just in general, because it has to be obvious to the blind that things do not ever go backwards.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

As for moving backwards, you'd think they wouldn't, or at least shouldn't. But, here? Well, there's never a shortage of people intent on pushing their way into the driver's seat so they can slip it into reverse. Someone posted results of a survey a few weeks ago; of all Southern States, Louisiana was the the only one with positive growth in Non-Catholic Christianity...

Quote:
Percent Decline of Non-Catholic Christians, 1990 - 2008

Texas: -20%
South Carolina: -15%
Georgia: -14%
Florida: -13%
North Carolina: -13%
West Virginia: -13%
Kentucky: -13%
Tennessee: -13%
Virginia: -13%
Alabama: -9%
Mississippi: -8%
Arkansas: -6%
Louisiana: +8%
When you consider these stats with the fact that South Louisiana is also a Catholic stronghold, it helps to paint the picture of the battlefield 'down here' (and illustrates why it can be an 'uncomfortable' place for me sometimes ).

So for me, I guess I never feel secure that the cogs only turn in one direction. But, like the article states, maybe things are finally changing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality