Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,736,330 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many people here believe in the traditional concept of eternal punishment in hell?

For those of you who do believe, how would you answer this question:

If you go to heaven while one or more of the people you love most in life ended up in hell, how would you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
In before the standard apologist answer of "God won't allow us to feel anything bad in heaven, so it won't matter!"

Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
If the people I love most wind up in Hell, I guess I'd have to assume that they deserved to be there. But only because I can't imagine a coin flip deciding where one goes for eternity.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If the people I love most wind up in Hell, I guess I'd have to assume that they deserved to be there. But only because I can't imagine a coin flip deciding where one goes for eternity.
So, you would be happy and content hanging out in heaven, even though you know that some of the people you loved the most during your life on earth are in hell?...cuz they deserve eternal torment?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,378,073 times
I've asked this question many times. The answer that I got most was that you won't remember your loved ones on earth. Another answer is that God will make sure that you are "OK" with it, and not be sad about it.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I'm wondering how many people here believe in the traditional concept of eternal punishment in hell?

If you go to heaven while one or more of the people you love most in life ended up in hell, how would you feel?

Hell is a Christian concept. I am not a Christian so this question is not a question I ask myself. The people in my family and in my life are good people.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Hell is a Christian concept. I am not a Christian so this question is not a question I ask myself. The people in my family and in my life are good people.
The same goes for me. I was hoping to get a true-blue traditional Christian to address this question because it was one of the top questions (on my long, long list of questions) that led me to believe that Christianity is grounded upon deeply illogical and profoundly immoral foundations.

I am not really a Buddhist, but it is insightful to compare Buddhism and Christianity on this point. The concept of compassion in Buddhism suggests that we work to alleviate suffering. This seems right to me.

The concept of eternal hell suggests that an all-powerful, all-knowing God purposefully created a universe in which he is powerless to alleviate eternal suffering.

I could never love or worship such a God. Thus, if the traditional Christian God really does exist, then I will end up in hell, because I could not love such a God. So far as I can see, worshipping such a God is not just illogical, but downright sick.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,472 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe what scripture reveals about hell and eternal torment.

Quote:

Well, being that all those destined for hell (whatever hell is) are all volunteers, I find it very sad.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post

Well, being that all those destined for hell (whatever hell is) are all volunteers, I find it very sad.

This is a load of crap...... Many people believe in G-d and read a Bible and are good people..

They just don't accept Jesus...

You just happen to have a different understanding of G-d.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Suppose someone puts a gun to your head and forces you to choose: "I will shoot either you or your child. Which will it be?" Presumably you will choose to sacrifice your own life to save your child. But is it really appropriate for people to say "You volunteered to be shot"?

Many of the people who would "volunteer" to suffer eternally in hell would be those who could not, in good conscience, love a god who would purposefully create beings who he knows will spend eternity in hell. Can you see the tragic irony here? The only people who can be truly happy in heaven are the people who can set aside their love and their conscience so that they can ignore those who suffer.

Also, although we have free will, our freedom has limits. We cannot choose our basic nature. (You need to already have some basic nature in order to make any sort of meaningful choice.) Our emotions stem mostly from our basic nature. We cannot generally "choose to love;" we simply love, or not. If I am unable to love god, then do I really "volunteer" to suffer in hell?

I could not be happy in heaven knowing that people are suffering in hell, and I cannot, in good conscience, twist the concept of "volunteer" to such an extent that I would say that people volunteer to be in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality