Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess I was wondering if an event had influenced a person's belief one way or another.
As someone who is uncertain, the one thing I am sure about is that no religion is right. They all claim to know this or that about god, but the reality is that no one religion knows more about the truth of a higher being than another based on fact. Therefore for me, from a religious standpoint, I cannot believe in any one religion and I think people that say their religion is the right one, or try to legislate their religion, are full of hooey because they know no more about God's intentions than anyone else. They are just louder in their guesses and less inclusive of people who do not believe in their guess of what life means.

More than anything, I am turned off by absolutes that most organized religions purport to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM

219 posts, read 717,993 times
I cannot answer for MG but I have and many other atheists I know have as well. Many of us growing up in religious households read it as part of church services and Sunday school and some on our own as adults (and some did both).

I personally have three versions of the bible - the KJV, NIV, and the New American Bible. I also have the Tao Te Ching, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Younger Edda and the Koran - with only the last two being unread as of yet.

I'm looking to getting a copy of the Book of Mormon, translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls for comparison, and I may even read Dianetics for the hell of it.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
I can't say that there was one particular moment or person. More like there were lots and lots of little moments that all added up.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
lpdsag wrote:
Quote:
have you ever read the holy bible?
Yes, when I was in my early teens I actually read the entire thing. It took me over a year. I was going to Bible study classes mainly because my Mother is very religious and a few of my friends were going. It didn't really take hold though and at about eighteen I realized some of the stories were just not realistic.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
No particular event or happening here...unless you count my elder brother threatening to duff me up if I didn't think for myself and ask questions about things I was told! Like another poster, I read books about early religions such as Mithraism and that really sealed it. There were so many religions that proceeded Christianity with virtually the same stories...only the names were changed in Christianity.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I grew up in a sorta religious household, my mom took me to church off and on when I was small, no one else in my family is all that religious except one aunt who is pretty Fundamental in her beliefs. My Dad and his dad seem sort of agnostic, but it's not something we've ever discussed.

For me, too, it was never a flashpoint of "Oh, none of this is real;" rather, it was more like a gradual awakening, a reading of lots of different religious texts and looking at them comparatively, first through agnosticisim, then backwards into deism, then into atheism.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
I became a nonbeliever through academia and personal experience...In high school I discovered existentialism, in college one of my degrees is in Comparative Religion/Philosophy, after college practiced Buddhism for a whle, spent alot of time in Buddhist and Hindu temples, spent much time with similiar, likeminded people...Experience, however, was perhaps the greatest instructor/indicator for me, personally...

Take gentle care,

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
Thank you all for sharing. I seriously was looking at a situation through my own eyes and this really helped me to look at it differently. I appreciate you all and thanks for posting. Rep points all around !

Old 07-11-2007, 03:17 AM

114 posts, read 399,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I am curious....
For those who are non believers (of any religion, not just Christian) is there an event in your life, a person, an expereince at a religious institution....that made you walk away and never look back?
No event.
I have even never walked into a religious institution,how can I walk away?And my family is non believer,too.But religious discussion on the board makes me curious about religion,ahh,maybe I'll try to go to a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality