Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I couldn't think how to spell "proselytize"--okay, apparently THAT is the correct spelling. Anyway, I never do it. The groups I mentioned do. It's pretty simple to tell them I'm not interested in hearing about it, for the most part--except for the one I was living with.

I never brought up the topic with her, she needn't have brought it up with me. I'm not a church goer myself, and I don't care if you want to go to church or not. If you do, go; if you don't, then don't go. There is no need to bring me along if you choose to go though. And if you don't believe, you don't need to tell me all about it every five minutes.

Even with someone I live with, I don't bring up controversial topics like religion or politics. I have no desire to connect with people on that level. On an anonymous forum, I am willing to give my views on a subject, but I'm not going to change them to suit anyone else--even if no one else likes them. I've seen that happen many a time, by the way.
A well stated and reasonable stance to take. Think of the world if all others took this course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Very few atheists care what you believe. It matters though when you start letting it infringe on the lives of others. You wouldn't hear anything from atheists if you didn't try and have others follow your beliefs. Case in point-anti science, anti gay and anti choice groups. Or the multitude of braying ignoramouses that perpetuate the belief that atheists are evil, hedonistic, immoral, foolish cretins who have condemned themselves to burn for eternity. I find it rather ironic that the OP and others like them are probably fans of evangelism which is trying to get others to follow their beliefs, ergo they care about what others believe.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
This is why U.N. panel cuts gay reference from violence measure | Reuters first gay, then women, the non believers last.

Quote:
It's strange that I only hear atheists complaining that Christians "stole" Christmas from the pagans, when Christmas isn't even a religious observance these days. It's funny to me how rarely you see ME bringing up a topic in the religion forums...or in daily life.

As I have said earlier, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be the guiltiest of bringing unsolicited opinions on religion, but atheists run close behind them. If I didn't ASK you to bring up the topic of religion (in daily life), then WHY are you doing it? Just leave me alone with your anti-religion crusade, and I'll certainly leave you alone with discussion of...well, anything. I believe in keeping to myself, and I don't start up conversations with strangers. Small talk is NOT part of my repertoire.
How many times have I heard, "lets bring jesus back to Christmas"? Too many times to count.
Then we have people like YOU. Who continually want to attribute my love for freedom of expression as a "crusade"; desperately trying to believe that atheist are acting religiously.
The biggest hypocrites around. All I hear is "god this, god that, Jesus this Jesus that. But the moment any atheist open his mouth. CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
You know, on a regular basis, in my day to day life, I don't hear one single thing about God, or religion. Only when I seek it out intentionally, like on a forum. I'd have to admit it's rare.
Well that could be where you live, or it could be because you ain't paying attention.

Here in the buy bull belt, it is pervasive in letters to the editors, churches put up billboards, street preachers scream their intolerance from downtown street corners, a common question when you meet someone for the first time, is "where do you go to church".

Many small towns around here are 'dry', and by that I mean you cannot buy alcohol. Every election it becomes a ballot item, and of course the preachers are spewing their lies about it the evils it will bring. Plus there are two levels of dry, where not even beer/wine can be sold (legally ) and the next for liquor, which in NC can only be sold in state run ABC stores.

OBTW, it always passes.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
We got three kinds of counties here in Florida. Wet, moist, and dry.

In the wet county, you can buy your booze any time Sunday. In the "moist" county, you can't buy it after 2 a.m. Sunday to noon Sunday. And then only to midnight. (Shouldn't it be midnight Sunday, and 2 a.m. the next day?) In the dry country, no alcohol can be sold.

I already posted my opinion about that on the Christianity and Alcohol thread. I don't see it as a sin, but something stupid and unhealthy. My religious beliefs don't enter into it at all. We don't have any of that other anywhere I have lived--maybe you should have been lucky enough to have been born where I live.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
This is why U.N. panel cuts gay reference from violence measure | Reuters first gay, then women, the non believers last.

How many times have I heard, "lets bring jesus back to Christmas"? Too many times to count.
Then we have people like YOU. Who continually want to attribute my love for freedom of expression as a "crusade"; desperately trying to believe that atheist are acting religiously.
The biggest hypocrites around. All I hear is "god this, god that, Jesus this Jesus that. But the moment any atheist open his mouth. CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE.

When did I say anything about a crusade? I think that if you start screaming at me about "the Christians" or "the Catholics" or anyone else when I haven't asked you about them, then you are proselytizing just as badly as the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses that I don't want to hear from either.

If I go up and ASK you about your religious preferences, then feel free to spout off about them. Otherwise, they're unsolicited, and unwelcome. And I don't care WHERE you're coming from. I don't care if we ostensibly share the same faith...I don't want to hear it. If I wanted to hear that crud all the time, I'd go to church every Sunday. I haven't gone in years.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:

I already posted my opinion about that on the Christianity and Alcohol thread. I don't see it as a sin, but something stupid and unhealthy. My religious beliefs don't enter into it at all. We don't have any of that other anywhere I have lived--maybe you should have been lucky enough to have been born where I live.
Then I feel safe in saying you ain't southern baptist, where drinking is a sin, along with dancing.

And I'll pass on the living in Florida. <shudder>

Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then I feel safe in saying you ain't southern baptist, where drinking is a sin, along with dancing.

And I'll pass on the living in Florida. <shudder>
Actually, I was accepted as a member--I just happen to disagree with their teachings, particularly on that subject. I don't see a need to blindly follow the precepts of ANY religion, rather take what you will that works for you, and discard the rest.

That was the last church I attended over four years ago.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Just as athiests don't like being lumped together typed and profiled.
Many believer resent the same things. A few do not represent all .
I have comnsiddered that many of you, are unaware that Jesus comissioned His believers to share the gospel with the whole world.

This is not a task very many want to do as a matter of fact , simply because of the resistance and the resentment of those the oppose God unilaterally.
It can't be helped that some people are goaded into it, and don't know what they are doing except what they have been taught. Acting like a sales pitch and volume is goal.
Though I am a believer , I realize there are people that simply cannot be bothered with something they are not presently concerned with , no different than say pushing solar pannels ,to a guy renting a room . he could really care less.
Jesus Himself, did not chase people around , they fallowed Him on their own. he didn't paint pretty pictures either, he laid things out pretty cut and dried, not like His apostles who had watered it down.
I have simply learned to make an offering to some one, and take it no further. Some one says no, I'm fine with that , whether it is solar pannels, or faith it really doesn't matter .
(I don't sell solar pannels , I merely enjoy a very small electric bill ($25. a month) because of them and i sometimes share the expirence)
This is a forum and we are encouraged to shair wht we think, no one is bound to any ones advise.
chill

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Lightbulb Why do atheists care what people believe?

Because pushy believers try to make us one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality