Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,705,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Because pushy believers try to make us one of them.

As I said, my experience has been different. That atheists are more willing than believers to push their beliefs on me. Otherwise I wouldn't have to hear about how Christians supposedly stole the Christmas holiday EVERY single year! Look--I don't want to hear it, how hard is it to get through your head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
This is why U.N. panel cuts gay reference from violence measure | Reuters first gay, then women, the non believers last.

How many times have I heard, "lets bring jesus back to Christmas"? Too many times to count.
Then we have people like YOU. Who continually want to attribute my love for freedom of expression as a "crusade"; desperately trying to believe that atheist are acting religiously.
The biggest hypocrites around. All I hear is "god this, god that, Jesus this Jesus that. But the moment any atheist open his mouth. CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE, CRUSADE.
I went out yesterday to feed my Orange habit. I was handed a bit of paper to come to a healing and prayer session. Lat week it was a jack chick tract. Every darn Saturday leaflets of pamphlets about religion are being handed out. I never saw one about atheism.

And yet you argue the need for a rational view on a suitable forum and, in between the 'God is real, you refuse to ..whatever..' stuff there is this constant 'why don't you leave us to our beliefs? Why have you got to preach atheism? Why don't you shut up?'

Because we are sick of this religious tosh and we are going to take it down. Even a lot of the believers are sick of it, though they often have a little personal god - relationship of their own. That's allright but the religion industry has got to be dismantled.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,562,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As I said, my experience has been different. That atheists are more willing than believers to push their beliefs on me. Otherwise I wouldn't have to hear about how Christians supposedly stole the Christmas holiday EVERY single year! Look--I don't want to hear it, how hard is it to get through your head?
That is a push BACK my poor misguided friend.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:13 PM

It's not a push BACK when I haven't brought up my beliefs to them.

It's unsolicited, and unwanted. Very simple. If I didn't ask for someone's opinion--in real life--they don't need to share it with me. I don't share my opinions with people in real life unless they specifically ask me for it. Otherwise, it's kept close to the vest.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Then it's quite simple. If your views are your own and you have nothing to give to or get from theists or atheists, then our contest for the worldview is of no consequence to you and I fail to see why you are getting so uptight about what we feel obliged to do.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 PM

When it affects me...when people are getting in my face and sharing their beliefs with me in real life, as I'm simply trying to get through my day...then it's a problem. If I come here and CHOOSE to discuss it with faceless nonentities, that's one thing. But when I'm out in the world and someone gives their opinion when I have not asked for it, and just want to be left alone, it's a problem.

Unfortunately, the last person that "shared" that opinion with me, unsolicited, was my girlfriend at the time. Otherwise, I would have probably punched any man that got in my face and force fed their opinions on me. It is not unreasonable to leave other people alone and keep your opinions to yourself out there in the real world.

Last edited by TKramar; 11-28-2010 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Side note: I don't punch women, only men.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,659 times
It sounds like you live in a little slice of heaven on earth, (no pun intended). You have no pushy religious people around you and only atheist feel free to discuss their point of view in public. I definately want to visit there.

Because I can tell you that it's the exact opposite every other place in the U.S. that i've lived.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,202,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When it affects me...when people are getting in my face and sharing their beliefs with me in real life, as I'm simply trying to get through my day...then it's a problem. If I come here and CHOOSE to discuss it with faceless nonentities, that's one thing. But when I'm out in the world and someone gives their opinion when I have not asked for it, and just want to be left alone, it's a problem.

Unfortunately, the last person that "shared" that opinion with me, unsolicited, was my girlfriend at the time. Otherwise, I would have probably punched any man that got in my face and force fed their opinions on me. It is not unreasonable to leave other people alone and keep your opinions to yourself out there in the real world.
I rarely debate religion with people in real life. Most of my closest friends are not religious or maybe a bit spiritual. My husband's family and college friends are all very religious Southern Baptists - so religion does come up with them from time to time - but mostly we avoid it. I have been approached here and there by people trying to get me to come to their church or whatnot - but that hasn't happened for awhile. I've never been approached by an atheist - never. But I guess we all have different experiences. I also live in New York - religion isn't really big here. Arts, culture, theatre - they are the more predominating things in my life here.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It sounds like you live in a little slice of heaven on earth, (no pun intended). You have no pushy religious people around you and only atheist feel free to discuss their point of view in public. I definately want to visit there.

Because I can tell you that it's the exact opposite every other place in the U.S. that i've lived.
No, I've had Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come up to me too (which one prints the Watchtower? I have no idea). And I feel the same about them. If they don't leave me be, they get punched. It should be very simple to leave people alone and not talk to them. In fact, I get by very well not talking to a single person out in the world. I have a great job, where I am left to handle my own area, and don't have to interact with any other coworkers. I'm trusted enough to do the job well, and to seek out other work when I'm finished with my own area. This doesn't take me talking to anyone, just doing.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,659 times
I just accept the fact that I'm living in Southern Baptist territory, and so I'll have to bow my head in prayer before any formal event. (There's not many Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses around here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality