Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 PM

425 posts, read 585,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And are you also saying that if these people attempted to have it mandated that it be taught to your children, enact laws based on their beliefs, counter to what you believe............. you still wouldn't care?
Now that would be an interesting alternative presentation at the next School Board meeting in Ohio or Louisiana! Some intense and well-spoken person rises up to propose presenting The Atheist Position within a Comparative Religions class in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia Baby View Post
Everybody is entitled to there opinions. All I know is every knee shall bow and every tongue confess no matter what religion we are or arent!
Your opinion here appears to be that no matter the flavor or variants of a person's individual God and beliefs, God's there one way or another, unavoidably. Then you appear to claim to know this. Is that your opinion? Isn't this a sort of Bumper Sticker ego-driven mentality, frankly devoid of any intellectual value beyond the amusement of the person stuck behind you?

Perhaps I misunderstand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. If you are going to blame religion for wars you can thank them for helping end slavery, segregation and many other social ills....but that is the
Ehh, actually religion (i.e. Christianity) was the primary moving force BEHIND slavery, segregation and most of the "social ills" this country has faced - particularly in the civil/human rights arena.

We even won our independance fighting against a tyrannical Christian nation built on Biblical principles.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:05 AM

50,139 posts, read 20,914,585 times
The OP is asking a serious question and I have had to answer it. On my previous Forum my message was 'The truth is important'.

It is. I decided it was important for me to know as best I could what was true, not what might make me feel good r help me over bad patches.

But not I see it as more basic than that. I see it as important for everyone, especially in these days when science is under attack for failing to endorse religious faith.

It is important that global knowledge is based on sound reasoning and empirically verified data, not on cozy (if conflicting) myths, or the illogic of claims of inspired truths where science can only provide guesswork and speculation.

That progress has been made in these speculative areas is eloquent reason why the work needed to be done rather that say 'God knows' and pretend that science had no business to go there.

So it is important that the worldview should be rational and scientific (and I dismiss with contempt the unworthy lie that knowledge kills a sense of wonder or beauty) and that means applying such a worldview to the claims of cults and religions.

In some cases, the case still has to be made, though the adherents get frustrated as the refusal of 'Established science orthodoxy' to swallow the claims without sound evidence.

In other cases, the claims have been shown to be so based on fallacy that they cannot be logically maintained, though some, even scientists, maintain them on Faith.

You will see where we have got to. Atheism either comes about through not caring about it or by thinking about it and finding that the claims do not stack up.

Therefore, thinking atheists have a responsibility to reccommend a rational and evidence - based evaluation of the theist claims. That's what we do here. Though it doesn't always look like it.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM

170 posts, read 534,656 times
Quote:
And are you also saying that if these people attempted to have it mandated that it be taught to your children, enact laws based on their beliefs, counter to what you believe............. you still wouldn't care?
They already have.

Evolution, gay and lesbian garbage, 8 year olds being taught about sex, etc..

Liberals have been ramming their agenda through schools for the last 30 years.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
They already have.

Evolution, gay and lesbian garbage, 8 year olds being taught about sex, etc..

Liberals have been ramming their agenda through schools for the last 30 years.

Evolution isn't a belief - it is a fact just like gravity, physics etc.

Ditto on homosexuality.

Schools should deal with facts. If you want clueless ignorant children who are unprepared to deal with reality, keep them at home and brainwash them with your revisionist history, garbage "creation science", religious lies and Christian nation propaganda. The Taliban do much the same with their children.

There is no "liberal agenda". Reality merely has a liberal bias. That "liberal agenda" freed the slaves, gave women equal rights, took underage children out of dangerous working conditions and pretty much every improvement and progress in the quality of living and rights and freedoms you enjoy in this country.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Um, no its not.

Darwin who was a racist simply observed the OBVIOUS that species and humans adapt to their enviorments.

Their is only one race of humans, the human race.

Darwin took the obvious and wrote a fiction book about monkeys magically morphing into humans, whales magically morphing into cows...it simply didnt happen.

If evolution were even remotely true there would be transitional fossils ALL over the place, of course there isnt because Darwin and his racist ideas were false.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Schools should teach Math, Science, Reading, etc..

NOT i have two daddys, safe sex, evolution, homos or even God.

Liberal hippies have screw up the entire education system, they care more about propaganda than education.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,615,865 times
Quote:
Um, no its not.
How does one type a response when they have their fingers stuck in their ears and their eyes squeezed tight shut while wailing "does not, does not, does not".

That is exactly what you are doing, in direct opposition to overwhelming evidence.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:24 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,615,865 times
Quote:
Schools should teach Math, Science, Reading, etc..

NOT i have two daddys, safe sex, evolution, homos or even God.

Liberal hippies have screw up the entire education system, they care more about propaganda than education.
Evolution is science, just because your myth is in opposition doesn't change that.
It is also important that kids be taught about sex, else they learn in the back seat of a car. Many parents don't or won't, thus we have kids with babies and STDs.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Evolution is science, just because your myth is in opposition doesn't change that.
It is also important that kids be taught about sex, else they learn in the back seat of a car. Many parents don't or won't, thus we have kids with babies and STDs.
Evolution is a fictional story written by old racist white men to enslave other races.

The rest of your post is typical hippie garbage.

Teachers should teach, stay the hell out of personal matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality