Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I don't know how anyone can read Romans 14 and not realize there are gray areas in our walk with Christ. This is reiterated in various places in 1 Corinthians, especially 1 Corinthians 8. However, we are cautioned that whatever we decide about the gray areas, be sure to do it in faith, without doubt, because whatever is not of faith is sin. God will lead us in these gray areas for His purpose. We have liberty; all things are lawful, but not all things are beneficial (1 Cor 6:12, 10:23). We need to be careful, though, to think that nothing is a sin. Many sins are clearly delineated in both the Old Testament and the New.

Each of us has been given different talents and gifts for the benefit of the body; 1 Corinthians 12 tells how each part of the body is different, but necessary. Although that chapter is specifically about spiritual gifts, I believe the same principle can be applied to individual convictions (gray areas). God doesn't desire cookie-cutter Christians because then we wouldn't be able to minister to others. In 1 Cor 9:22, Paul states, "I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." This principle can also be found in 1 Cor 10:31-33.

The man who thinks it is OK to eat meat can minister more easily to a hunter than the one who doesn't think it's OK. The one who is convinced to be vegetarian might be able to share with a PETA member. The mature Christian will realize either position is OK; the immature might stumble over one of the areas, so the mature person is to conform to the immature (when around him) in order to grow him in the faith.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17). Babies in Christ (the immature) can only be fed milk. As we grow, we are fed meat. Some Christians never progress beyond the spoon-feeding stage, because they are not hearing much of the Word; they're not reading on their own, nor are they hearing much at Church. Therefore, they are unaware of the deeper truths contained in the Bible and are persuaded by the doctrines of man (clergy, authors, friends, media, etc.) rather than by the Word of God.

Enter the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Sanhedrin. They knew the law. They knew it so well, that they started interpreting the law and adding to it! They were the governing church authority, but boy did they blow it! Strict adherence to the Law--and its interpretations--was a problem with the early Jewish converts who thought the Gentiles had to adhere to the letter of the Mosaic Law, not its intent (obedience). Even Peter fell into this trap after he was given the vision of the sheet with the unclean animals and told to eat. There were areas of the Law that clearly didn't pertain to the Gentiles (clean vs unclean meat, circumcision). Both Jewish and Gentile converts were Christians; both had the Holy Spirit. However, they didn't always have to follow the same "law." With the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, we can individually be led by God. However, this leading will always conform to His Word (the Bible)! In matters that don't pertain to faith and salvation (that is, daily lives), God sometimes leads us in different directions (IMHO) so that we can best accomplish His mission on this earth.
This post is insightful, scriptural and right on IMO!

I was raised in the non-denominational vein of Christianity. While I admire them and agree with the concept, IMO the non-denominational churches have become there own denonimation, in some ways.

I do think that the body of Christ is divided in a million different ways for a million different reasons, but then again, sometimes I think maybe everyone is different so they need different ways and variations and interpretations for their particular personality or situation? I dunno...But I do agree with Rob, it seems suspect that so many believe what they believe because they are "being led by the Holy Spirit", but others are led differently...

I think the bottom line is to press into God and to believe the basics--Jesus is the Son of God and died for our sins, and rose again. He is not just a prophet, a teacher, or a good man. He is our Saviour, and our Lord. Pray and read the Word, asking for guidance and do so with a pure heart that desires understanding. God has said He diligently rewards those who seek Him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post

I was raised in the non-denominational vein of Christianity. While I admire them and agree with the concept, IMO the non-denominational churches have become there own denonimation, in some ways.

I do think that the body of Christ is divided in a million different ways for a million different reasons, but then again, sometimes I think maybe everyone is different so they need different ways and variations and interpretations for their particular personality or situation? I dunno...But I do agree with Rob, it seems suspect that so many believe what they believe because they are "being led by the Holy Spirit", but others are led differently...

I think the bottom line is to press into God and to believe the basics--Jesus is the Son of God and died for our sins, and rose again. He is not just a prophet, a teacher, or a good man. He is our Saviour, and our Lord. Pray and read the Word, asking for guidance and do so with a pure heart that desires understanding. God has said He diligently rewards those who seek Him!
wow...is it the 13th?? First post I read from Jeff and I agree!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post

Whats happening?? We agree - how can that be

Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Whats happening?? We agree - how can that be
Oh you guys, I'm not nearly as heretical as you all would think. Despite my moniker. The only place I really differ is on the length and purpose of hell...

Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
That is basically what I am getting at. I think it is actually a much deeper subject than some might think and I wasnt able to express that properly.

I wonder if all 20 of those interpretations are in fact correct. Even the ones which may seem to contradict each other in our limited understanding. Perhaps, once you accept God and submit to him, he puts you in place and gives you the knowledge you need to know to carry out your portion of his plan. Due to our human nature we naturally tend to congregate with similar people. Hence the Protistents were all given a very similar understanding of God's truth, the Catholics were given their understanding of God's truth, Evangelicals received their truth, non-denominationals received theirs, and so on.
All true believers receive their understanding and interpretation of God's word from God. They are then naturally divided up according to what God has revealed to them. Then God tells us, dont worry about how others may interpret things as long as the core beliefs are in place. Perhaps (and I hate to use this analogy, but I cant think of a better one) as believers, God is lining us up like soldiers or chess pieces, to execute his master plan and each denomination is a different soldier or chess piece.
Your analogy of chess is exactly the thought that runs through my head . Even though I know NOTHING about chess, I kind of understand the concept. Geesh, maybe if I learned how to play I would be a better Christian .
One thing that has always crossed my mind is, what was the FIRST denomination of the FIRST followers of Christ? That's what I strive for! Wouldn't the first followers just be considered as "Christian"? I think it was AFTER Christ ascended that the churches became divided. But I'm not sure about that.
It's really tough to figure this out . I just try to pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit so that I may receive the interpretation the He has in store for me

Old 07-12-2007, 12:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Where do disputable matters end and critical doctrines take over?
I think this is a good question, and I think it is also one that can be taken out into other topics. At what point do we go from supporting others in choices/beliefs that are different from our own to trying to sway them to choices/beliefs that are more like our own to disallowing choices that are different from our own? I think that some of us tend to draw these lines more liberally than others, regardless of whether we are talking about religious beliefs or other life choices.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think this is a good question, and I think it is also one that can be taken out into other topics. At what point do we go from supporting others in choices/beliefs that are different from our own to trying to sway them to choices/beliefs that are more like our own to disallowing choices that are different from our own? I think that some of us tend to draw these lines more liberally than others, regardless of whether we are talking about religious beliefs or other life choices.
This makes sense. Sometimes it is a really fine line between trying to "help" someone that you think may be a little confused on their doctrine and completely offending that person by trying to tell them they are WRONG etc.
I completely agree with you, this is regarding our spiritual lives as well as seeing a friend that we think are going down a wrong path
Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality