Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,710,949 times

Advertisements

Bumblebees should not be able to fly...but they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well of course. We don't know about things we don't know about, that just kind of follows doesn't it?

We do know, with some certainty, that there are animals with senses we lack. Sharks have electroreception as does the platypus.

Platypus Electroreception

There are some birds who have or may have magnetoperception.

Powered by Google Docs
Magnetite-based magnetoreception in birds

Cuttlefish apparently detect the polarization of light.

POLARIZATION VISION IN CUTTLEFISH – A CONCEALED COMMUNICATION CHANNEL?
Polarization Vision and Its Role in Biological Signaling — Integr. Comp. Biol.

I'm not sure we always knew of them. And those are just of Earth animals, who knows what things might exist elsewhere.

Although I admit I don't think we'll discover "spirituality" as some kind of sixth-sense, but the idea human senses can give a complete or accurate accounting of reality is something I feel is possibly overly optimistic.
As I keep saying there is a lot we don't know and there are perceptions other animals have that we don't. However, that is no reason to either accept all kinds of postulated faculties or entities without evidence OR feelings, emotions or ideas interpreted in just one way (coinciding - and not too much of a coincidence - with a tribal mythology - system) to the exclusion of all other explanations.

Or of course, quoting the migration facility or the Bee's direction dance and, for want of a better explanation, saying "It's done by God".

Explains everything and explains nothing and, worse, can get in the way of discovering the real reasons for migration, Bee dance or for the Mystical experience, especially if it turns out to be evolutionary reasons.

Yet again I'm hearing 'science doesn't know everything' (which is true enough) being transliterated into 'science shouldn't look at these things. They are the preserve of religion'.

We may not find a complete or accurate accounting of reality, but already we have found the DNA explanation of that puzzling question: 'how do babies know?' We are getting inklings of the reasons why we have morality or compassion or tribalism or the divine instinct.

It probably does not matter that theists are getting the collywobbles under their body belt which comes out as the rather lame 'science will never find out everything'.

Maybe not, but the gaps for God are closing.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-21-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Then like all the funny 'god feelings' which we can't yet explain, we should put aside the facile 'Goddunnit' explanations and let science find out what, how and why....

Ah! I knew there was an explanation for your conundrum. Mere ignorance.

"The basic principles of bumblebee flight, and insect flight generally, have been pretty well understood for many years. Somehow, though, the idea that bees "violate aerodynamic theory" got embedded in folklore."

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...blebees-to-fly

Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,595 times
You could be on Mythbusters!

(If they have that show there.)

Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,696,236 times
Quote:
Ignorance shouldn't be perpetuated...but you are doing so.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 AM

I'm not, it's a fact that bumblebees should not be able to fly, considering their mass and aerodynamics, but they still do.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I'm not, it's a fact that bumblebees should not be able to fly, considering their mass and aerodynamics, but they still do.
Wow...dude...move into the 20th century, because that's a myth from as early as the 19th century. The rest of us are already in the 21st century, so you're severely lagging behind. Read the following article. It's presented in simple enough language that perhaps you can follow it and learn something, instead of insisting on believing old urban myths. Hint: some of the "calculations" that are originally attributed to the "bumblebees shouldn't fly" baloney were calculated as if the bees were a fixed-wing aircraft. *eyeroll*

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene..._the_Bumblebee

Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 AM

If a man built a plane with the same wing profile, and the same mass (only built to a larger scale), it wouldn't fly.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
If a man built a plane with the same wing profile, and the same mass (only built to a larger scale), it wouldn't fly.
How dense are you? Bees are not fixed-wing aircraft! You CANNOT use the same mathematical calculations on bees as you do on airplanes! Their wings beat. Their wings move independently of each other. How hard is this to understand? Read the freakin' articles that have been posted. Please learn something and stop being deliberately uneducated.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
What I have found and what I have showed you is that time and again your arguments are based on poor science, misrepresentation, lack of research, special pleading, quotemining and, in the end appeal to God told you it was true.

When have you ever, EVER, looked at it from the 'other side'? When have you even once looked up any of the counters to your claims pasted from Creationist sites? Why on earth should we have to check all the strings of Young Earth claims you toss at us?

The evidence is all there. You can check each one of those 'Young Earth evidences' for yourself. I have already done the rock dome and the sunken aircraft and you should have got the idea by now. Check your claims before you bring them to us.

A. C Clarke made the point (though he was a bit dissmissive) that UFO enthusiasts operated by showing one photo of a blur or dot after another with some anecdotal story after another. "Explain that". If you did, they'd just go onto the next.

This is as pointless as posting lists of prophecies of Jesus. The Jesus story is not true and based more on the prophecies than the prophecies based on Jesus. That is the case and so posting prophcies is moribund.

Similarly, the evidence for an old earth and evolution is massive. Overwhelming and the objections are no more than unanswered questions at best and downright non-science at worst.

Of course there are repeated surprises such as the T Rex soft tissue, but it turned out that was very badly overdrawn and misrepresented by over - eager Y E enthusiasts. However, like the legged snake, the mountaintop fossils and the vertical whale, they turned out to be no problem at all. Only for the Y E enthusiasts.
When you have encounters with God, end of story. Most here will argue on the merits of science. I on the other hand will float some beliefs out there in support of my side. Yet none of it, is really that important to my faith. I have walked the halls of heaven, I have heard the voice of God. I know most people don't have experiences like this. Yet I believe my experiences have only occured because of my strong belief in God from the beginning. I have been attacked by demons, and have experienced the supernatural. So many here will argue if God exist or not. Yet my personal experiences has fully removed that as a valid question for me. Jesus is the real God, and I know this because he has been with me for so long. Science has answers. Some right, and some not so right. You can debate these scientific questions until the cows come home. And you will be convinced of your position. Yet there will be ten other scientist who will question that. And every new generation often discovers the scientific facts of yesterday, are todays obvious errors. Science is a wonderful tool. And science has done much to help the human race. Yet the science of speculation can be misleading. And one should never place their eternal soul, on speculations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality