Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
How does this account for the fact that the number of atheists and non-religious people is continually increasing, both in terms of raw numbers and as a percentage of the population? Are these people devolving?
NAH! It is expected there will be a fluctuation to some degree...like with a species hit by a germ/virus, or environmental condition that reduces its numbers for a time...but then a resistance is built to it...and it comes back even stronger. That's what you seeing at the moment...and will see in the future.

Also, there will always be exceptions...that's how "the process" works. But, I submit, those are simply the "regressed"...the odd "throwbacks", so to speak...that are presenting as mankind did before the "mental evolution" that developed to produce "Belief".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
How does this account for the fact that the number of atheists and non-religious people is continually increasing, both in terms of raw numbers and as a percentage of the population? Are these people devolving?
Haven't you heard of the "dumbing down" of America? I can fully see a movie like Idiocracy coming to fruition in the next 50 years.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:28 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
NAH! It is expected there will be a fluctuation to some degree...like with a species hit by a germ/virus, or environmental condition that reduces its numbers for a time...but then a resistance is built to it...and it comes back even stronger. That's what you seeing at the moment...and will see in the future.

Also, there will always be exceptions...that's how "the process" works. But, I submit, those are simply the "regressed"...the odd "throwbacks", so to speak...that are presenting as mankind did before the "mental evolution" that developed to produce "Belief".
I don't think so...25% of people born in the 80s are non religious compared with 13% in the 70s, and I believe each future generation will follow that trend...The days of the religious being the majority are numbered.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't think so...25% of people born in the 80s are non religious compared with 13% in the 70s, and I believe each future generation will follow that trend...The days of the religious being the majority are numbered.
I said "Believe in a God vs Nonbelief"...not "Religious vs Nonreligious"--That's like 90% vs 10%.

Tell ya what...when Atheism does anything other than get it's butt handed to it in the "Arena of World Influence", let me know.

Meantime...General Theism says, "Know your rank and position, Private Atheism!!" ATTEN-SHUN!!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I said "Believe in a God vs Nonbelief"...not "Religious vs Nonreligious"--That's like 90% vs 10%.

Tell ya what...when Atheism does anything other than get it's butt handed to it in the "Arena of World Influence", let me know.

Meantime...General Theism says, "Know your rank and position, Private Atheism!!" ATTEN-SHUN!!
Deny till you are blue in the face, but that doesn't change the facts.

According to the latest Pew survey... Religion Among the Millennials - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
46% of young people 18 to 29 are not certain that there is a god..The atheist/ agnostic position, while 28% of people 30 and older are not certain there is a god....
Soon your appeal to numbers will have to be abandoned.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 293,155 times
Arrow The religion of science

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Like? I thought the atheists' whole argument was that just because we don't understand it NOW, doesn't mean that science won't eventually find the answers. Or is science too weak to accomplish that?
Philosophically science cannot be internally consistent but must start with an act of faith. Science is a very peculiar kind of faith, which assumes that faith itself can be self-correcting. People doing science can be dogmatic, but they forget what science really is. It is a continuously self-testing and self-correcting faith. The faith comes in the idea that it is a way in which we can generate increasing understanding of the world around us.

This self-correcting aspect of science is hailed by those whose faith is that science is a superior worldview. But how efficient is science as a self-correcting mechanism? What is the "batting average" of science in this area? Out of the total number of mistakes made in science, how many have been corrected?

There is no way of knowing the total number of mistakes made in the history of science. Nor do we know how many uncorrected errors exist in science today. If we knew about them, they would be corrected. Hence, it is impossible to know how efficient this self-correcting element in science is.

But if there is no way to determine its effectiveness, then we can never know if trusting science to lead us into truth is a very wise worldview or a very foolish one.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Deny till you are blue in the face, but that doesn't change the facts.

According to the latest Pew survey... Religion Among the Millennials - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
46% of young people 18 to 29 are not certain that there is a god..The atheist/ agnostic position, while 28% of people 30 and older are not certain there is a god....
Soon your appeal to numbers will have to be abandoned.
Hmmmmm...the world has 7 BILLION people in it...but you use stats for just 300 million of them. Strange that.

I can "Statistic Mine" too Dude: What percent of the world's population believes in God? | ChaCha Answers

See...Private Atheism? You get TROUNCED (like you have for THOOOOOOOUSANDS of years) 10 to 1...like usual!!

OOOH!...BTW, if "appeals to numbers" don't count...What's with the NUMBERS?! LOL!!

No matter, cuz, you know how much I like NUMBERS...Let me refresh your memory about NUMBERS:
Now, most of this is only valid "scientifically"...but, whatever.
As evolution grinds on...Natural Selection will cause the most optimal "traits" to present in GREATER NUMBERS. By analyzing the data as to which "traits" present in GREATER NUMBERS we can determine which traits are "the best". "Belief in God" is a "trait" that presents in 90% of Homo sapiens...that PROVES "scientifically" that "Belief in God" is the most optimal "trait"...otherwise, some other "Belief Trait" would present in greater NUMBERS. It is in that way "NUMBERS" come into play.

See?...that's how "Natural Selection" works. It works on NUMBERS.
MOF, ALLLLLLL science works on NUMBERS. NUMBERS prove or disprove EVERYTHING.
Heeeeeeey, come to think of it...all you guys do is "APPEAL TO NUMBERS" to "PROVE" things. How about that!

But don't think for a second I don't admire you guys for using NUMBERS to figure out all about the complex workings of the stuff God made.

GOOD JOB!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Good grief...Never have you been so wrong before...You are slipping in the snark department too...That was hilarious, not snarky.

In 2008 1.1 billion people in the world are considered atheist. Atheists are people who believe there is no God or divine being. They do not believe in the afterlife, therefore, they have no religion.

We are ranked third, but are gaining fast.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Good grief...Never have you been so wrong before...You are slipping in the snark department too...That was hilarious, not snarky.

In 2008 1.1 billion people in the world are considered atheist. Atheists are people who believe there is no God or divine being. They do not believe in the afterlife, therefore, they have no religion.

We are ranked third, but are gaining fast.
Numbers AGAIN sans...what's happening to you?

Hey, *I* could be categorized as "nonreligious". The numbers for Pedigreed Atheism, compared to just being not religious, are different.

Belief in some kind of God/Creator/Higher Power/Great Spirit/etc, still overwhelms Atheism by such a margin it's not really even a comparison.

Gaining fast? You are kidding right?
Oh yeah...your improvement of your record from 10W-90L to 11W-89L is really turning heads. It's just that those heads are turning slowly back and forth, with a smirk on their face, as they walk away looking back over their shoulder...so they can go watch the crowning of:::THE WINNERRRRRR and STIIIIIIIL CHAAAAAMPIOOOOOOON of the WOOOOOOORLD----THEEEEEEEISM!!!!!
For over FIVE THOUSAND years in a row!

Get a clue, Dude! Take a look around you...especially this week. Function in the Real World...and face Reality. Theism Rules.
I know that drives you bonkers...but, oh well. That's just the bitter (to you) OBJECTIVE FACT of the matter! You need to get hip to that.

But I'm done debating this with you. Arguing "givens" with people that won't face reality is just a waste of time.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Numbers AGAIN sans...what's happening to you?

Hey, *I* could be categorized as "nonreligious". The numbers for Pedigreed Atheism, compared to just being not religious, are different.

Belief in some kind of God/Creator/Higher Power/Great Spirit/etc, still overwhelms Atheism by such a margin it's not really even a comparison.

Gaining fast? You are kidding right?
Oh yeah...your improvement of your record from 10W-90L to 11W-89L is really turning heads. It's just that those heads are turning slowly back and forth, with a smirk on their face, as they walk away looking back over their shoulder...so they can go watch the crowning of:::THE WINNERRRRRR and STIIIIIIIL CHAAAAAMPIOOOOOOON of the WOOOOOOORLD----THEEEEEEEISM!!!!!
For over FIVE THOUSAND years in a row!

Get a clue, Dude! Take a look around you...especially this week. Function in the Real World...and face Reality. Theism Rules.
I know that drives you bonkers...but, oh well. That's just the bitter (to you) OBJECTIVE FACT of the matter! You need to get hip to that.

But I'm done debating this with you. Arguing "givens" with people that won't face reality is just a waste of time.
I agree, but I have no idea why you, who worships numbers won't accept the numbers of a legitimate survey that says atheists/ agnostics are 1.1 billion strong...I'm guessing that that truth is scaring you, huh?

As far as numbers are concerned, yes there are more religious now, but that won't last very long. Atheists/ agnostics will soon overtake Christianity to take their rightful place at the top of the heap. Actually there may be more atheists now if the ones that are closeted will come out...

Capitalizing and stretching out you words won't help you then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality