Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,421 times

Advertisements

I can't think of one good thing religion has contributed to mankind - the inquisition, slavery, twin towers - all in the name of religion.

Science, on the other hand, has contributed far more to mankind - vaccines, condoms, longer life expectancy, organ transplants ect.

Do you think people who believe in religion are of a lower intelligence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I can't think of one good thing religion has contributed to mankind - the inquisition, slavery, twin towers - all in the name of religion.

Science, on the other hand, has contributed far more to mankind - vaccines, condoms, longer life expectancy, organ transplants ect.

Nobody says you have to believe. But I'm betting at least once in your life you've prayed.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,562 times
Religion is a cancer upon humanity. It is the biggest scam ever committed.

Religion has no place in public policy, and belongs ONLY in peoples homes and their churches.

There is a reason many religious people share traits with diagnosed schizophrenics.

Last edited by Mashed Potatoes; 02-14-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Human beings need religion. Without theistic religion they just end up worshiping the government like all the atheist liberals are basically doing.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
I'm not religious -- quite anti-religious in fact -- but it is a historical fact that some of the greatest advancements in science, art, and music were made by religionists, or by people with religious educations.

Charles Darwin, before his trip around the world, studied divinity at Cambridge.

Gregor Mendel (founding father of genetics) was a monk.

The religiously-inspired creations of Leonardo and Bach, among countless others, are well known.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:

Same with Mother Theresa: what an awful human being. What has atheism done to improve mankind?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:

Yeah, and gunpowder, weapons, nuclear fission AND Fusion, VX gas, nerve gasses as a whole....right....perfect track record......on the OTHER hand, religion, even for the most ardent atheist, has at the very, very least kept an overall lid on things.

Imagine, if you dare, a world that truly believes there is no God, no religion, all a hoax? No woman would be safe, no merchant robber free, no murderer challenged, no crime too small, no crime to far. I tell you one thing, I'd turn every rapist on Hollywood hoping they would eventually tag that Kardashian kid along with Lohan so we no longer had to hear from them!

Throw in Barbara Boxer, Feinstein, and Pelosi if we could find a taker. No....I think religion has done wonders to keep society as a whole in check despite a few million wiped out in snafus and MIS guided zealots. I'll take my chances with the current societal strucuture thank you very much.

But hey, if you find yourself falling off the wagon, take my lead on that Hollywood crowd. Kind of tired of them crowding the news cycle.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

You have never been close to death......................

Those in their youth, at a time in which it seems you will live forever, drift from faith. The realization that you will die (and perhaps much sooner than you ever thought) may cause some introspection.

What has religion done for me? It has provided me PEACE. I feel good.................. mostly all the time. I don't ram my views down anyone else's throat, as I don't care, and understand that people will come to their beliefs in their own time.

One must come to terms with themselves and God in their own time. Some never do. However, it is very puerile and ignorant to discount the comfort that faith has provided for billions over time.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
What has religion done to improve mankind?
It can give hope and help people endure their troubles - this is true today and especially true of early Christianity. The church can bring order and structure to society in times of chaos (collapse of Rome & The Dark Ages). It can give legitimacy to laws and codes of morality. Religion started medieval universities and schools, and was the driving force behind charity work and improving the human condition. I'm not religious but will give credit where credit is due.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
What has religion done to improve mankind? NOTHING
The ten commandments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality