Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,941,264 times

Advertisements

Did the Jews reject the New Testament for reasons other than the fact that they (Jews) did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and "That the scriptures must be fullfilled" as stated in the Bible. After reading the history of the New Testament and discovering that the New Testament was written in the Greek by Greeks, I theorize that the basis of Jewish rejection of the New Testament could possibly have had more to do with cultural or ethnicity differences (prejudice) than religious differences. In other words, had the New Testament been written in Hebrew by Jews of the same Rabbinical lineage as those who wrote the Old Testament; then the Jews would have accepted Jesus and the teachings of the New Testament.

Again, this is jus my theory. But could it possibly be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 PM

434 posts, read 1,650,710 times
To me, it's that I don't believe Jesus was the Messiah. If there is one that's coming, he hasn't made it yet. Some of the scholarly discourse goes on about that when the Messiah comes, the earth is supposed to return to the garden of Eden.

The historical aspect could have something to do with it, but another part could be the whole dying for sins thing, the dogma itself. Ancient Jews were very unforgiving and sins they committed were imposed basically on forever generations. I guess in a way, we still are pretty unforgiving (see my other posts and I really do have an issue about being forgiven if someone has performed a dastardly deed).

There's probably a whole lot of reasons. Historical, didn't want to lose power, ancient prejudices, rejection of Christian dogma based on philosophical issues, are probably just a few.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:26 PM

253 posts, read 639,838 times
That could have been it. But I think it's mostly that they didn't accept Christ as their savior, I mean, the new testament is centered around Christ, would a Christian accept a book centered on the Budda as gospel? Even if they thought he was a very good man, I don't think they would. But it could have something to do with the New Testament being recorded by gentiles as well.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,183,684 times
Thought provoking OP, and I think it is a definate possiblity. It probaby had something to do with, if not entirely.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,125,333 times
They would have no reason to. They have tons of writings concerning God's plan for them. One more small little book like the NT would be lost. Plus it taught things like, you don't need to be circumsized, or follow the dietary laws. And worse of all, the Gentiles were just as good as the Jews. How can you be one of the Chosen People and accept such teachings?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,029,808 times
In saying "the Jews", we really need to define the fact that many Jews did believe in Jesus as the Christ, but by the second century (especially after 70AD) the Jesus community was largely distanced from the rest of Judaism; partially due to the spread of Christianity to Gentiles and partially due to the diaspora.

As far as accepting New Testament canon, remember that the oldest books of the New Testament were likely those written by Paul, and those were actually simple letters. The Synoptic Gospels came after these. Congregations gathered together what Christian writings they could for a couple of centuries. It wasn't until Marcion published his canon that orthodox Christians felt the need to put together any sort of biblical canon, so it wasn't until the second half of the second century A.D. that there were any known attempts at listing a Christian canon.

By this point, Judaism was over 100 years removed from Jesus, and the Jewish Christians were more separated from their own ethnic group. So, it can work out that some ethnic Jews wound up accepting the New Testament. But, by the time canon was firmly established, Christianity was a couple of hundred years old, and a completely different religion from Judaism. So, there was no need for rabbis to accept the New Testament.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,791,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
They would have no reason to. They have tons of writings concerning God's plan for them. One more small little book like the NT would be lost. Plus it taught things like, you don't need to be circumsized, or follow the dietary laws.
Yes, these are good points... and like another poster said, would Christians read a book about Buddha, Allah, or even the Hebrew Bible ("Old Testament") for anything more than curiosity/comparative studies?

Quote:
And worse of all, the Gentiles were just as good as the Jews. How can you be one of the Chosen People and accept such teachings?
Oy vey... I already addressed that issue on another thread (will post a link later when I have time to look), but we certainly don't consider ourself to be "better" than gentiles.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM

52 posts, read 147,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Did the Jews reject the New Testament for reasons other than the fact that they (Jews) did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and "That the scriptures must be fullfilled" as stated in the Bible. After reading the history of the New Testament and discovering that the New Testament was written in the Greek by Greeks, I theorize that the basis of Jewish rejection of the New Testament could possibly have had more to do with cultural or ethnicity differences (prejudice) than religious differences. In other words, had the New Testament been written in Hebrew by Jews of the same Rabbinical lineage as those who wrote the Old Testament; then the Jews would have accepted Jesus and the teachings of the New Testament.

Again, this is jus my theory. But could it possibly be true?
The New Testament was not written by Greeks. It was written in Greek by Jews with the possible exception of Luke. The Jews as a whole rejected Jesus the Jew as the Messiah just as the old covenant scriptures said they would. The Bible is basically Jewish from Genesis through Revelation.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,941,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobee View Post
The New Testament was not written by Greeks. It was written in Greek by Jews with the possible exception of Luke. The Jews as a whole rejected Jesus the Jew as the Messiah just as the old covenant scriptures said they would. The Bible is basically Jewish from Genesis through Revelation.
I may be wrong, but it was my understanding through my readings that they were Greek Jews. Otherwise, It would not make much sense, to me at least, why Jews, who's written language is Hebrew, would write the New Testament in Greek. Again, I am not by no means,an expert here, perhaps someone else could educate me on this matter.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,029,808 times
There were two popular languages in Judea at the time of Christ; Aramaic, and Greek. Hebrew was the language of the synagogue, but not often used in conversation or commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality