Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,130,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God knows man needed it, after all He created us and knows all about us.
Then why did God create a creature that needed saving?

My goodness, the weird, twisted, contradictory and downright insane dogma that saddles Christianity is breathtaking.

As a simple thought experiment, substitute "Zeus" for "God" and then "Apollo" for "Jesus." Now what do you get? A clearly logically incomprehensible mash-up of wild stories and mythologies that anyone with a rational thought in their heads would see. The Gods have No Clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,024,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Actually the Nazis came up with pretty much the same story.. the "chosen" race of man were to live in shining cities in a golden age after the "unsaved" burned in their lord's fiery furnaces.
The chosen race/races notion seems to have been a running theme with mankind for a long time. I for one will certainly be glad when mankind is able to rid itself of that ball and chain.

lol "the happy half of the Bible."

Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,939,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
A street paved with gold is a bad idea. It would be very slippery when wet and, since gold is soft, would wear quickly. But I suppose it never rains in Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Man created god in his image...not the other way round.
You got it so right, Mel! It's only promised as such because unthinking, intransigent dogmatists only see as far as their own wanton or oversimplified desires, which are entirely based on worldly Earth-bound intents. You know, like a big pot of gold, a shining sunrise and a cute rainbow. Meeting all your favorite childhood pets too, yuppers! And getting to sit by your hero, Jesus, an entirely fabricated character required as a go-between for God and the peasants.

.........Oh..........Joy!

You'd almost have to conclude they don't have a clue how to find honest and complete enjoyment or joy in the here and now, wouldn't you? Everything good has to be in an imagined afterlife, absent all discord and strife. And of course absent us "feelthy" atheists! Yep. Sure.

Quote:
The last 5 posts shows the devil mocks God but Jesus still saves us. I sure am glad God "unleashed" Jesus on the world.
Really? Even if I briefly adopt a strictly Christian position (I used to be one), I don't see it. You just don't like our questions and positions.

Well I'm waiting for Jesus' return. So is Bill Maher. BTW, I may "unleash" right back if an arrogant maniac tries to finger-wag me about all my so-called sins.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,637,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
The old testement involves God's convenent with the Jews. Jesus brought us the new convenent freeing us from many of the old convenent laws and works. We can learn from the OT, but we are not bound to much of it. THAT is what Maher fails to understand. Christians are not ancient Jews. But you wouldn't see Maher at a Jewish conference attacking their Torah. It's always open season on the Christians.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,017,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
The old testement involves God's convenent with the Jews. Jesus brought us the new convenent freeing us from many of the old convenent laws and works. We can learn from the OT, but we are not bound to much of it. THAT is what Maher fails to understand. Christians are not ancient Jews. But you wouldn't see Maher at a Jewish conference attacking their Torah. It's always open season on the Christians.

But why would an all-wise god create laws to enslave people with them only then turn around and send someone to free man from them? Tell me the sense in this, please Juj.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
But why would an all-wise god create laws to enslave people with them only then turn around and send someone to free man from them? Tell me the sense in this, please Juj.
I am not theologian. But perhaps, God thought we were not ready to embrace and receive the Messiah yet. Remember, Christ came to make whole the relationship between God and man lossed by Adam and Eve. The old testament starts prophesizes about the coming of the Messiah all the way back in Genesis. Christ came to the world exactly when God thought it was the right time - when man was ready.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,726,081 times
Quote:
He fulfilled them by making them null and void.
You're ignoring this part :

“For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

In context, it seems to me the author of this passage was expecting the world to end pretty soon with the imminent return of Jesus. So Jesus was telling his followers to keep on keeping on with the OT laws until I get back real soon now. It's the same line of thought that caused Paul to advise people not to get married - Jesus is returning ASAP, focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course we all know how that belief worked out. And you can see a gradual evolution away from the idea as Christianity evolved to accept gentiles to boost their ranks. Just like the resurrection story evolved dramatically in the newer gospels this idea of the imminent end of the world got toned down as the years went on and this prediction didn't actually come true.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post

“For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

In context, it seems to me the author of this passage was expecting the world to end pretty soon with the imminent return of Jesus. So Jesus was telling his followers to keep on keeping on with the OT laws until I get back real soon now. It's the same line of thought that caused Paul to advise people not to get married - Jesus is returning ASAP, focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course we all know how that belief worked out. And you can see a gradual evolution away from the idea as Christianity evolved to accept gentiles to boost their ranks. Just like the resurrection story evolved dramatically in the newer gospels this idea of the imminent end of the world got toned down as the years went on and this prediction didn't actually come true.
Jesus made Peter to be the head of His Church (Matthew 16:13-19). So whatever Peter and the rest of the Apostles decided on what Christianity was supposed to be is good enough for me because Christ wanted it that way.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post

This is a GREAT response, KC and it goes such a long way to explaining so much of the subtle contradictions, toning down, spin doctoring and back peddling you find dispersed throughout the NT. What is interesting is that the people who claim to read the NT most completely miss or ignore it all.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I am not theologian. But perhaps, God thought we were not ready to embrace and receive the Messiah yet. Remember, Christ came to make whole the relationship between God and man lossed by Adam and Eve. The old testament starts prophesizes about the coming of the Messiah all the way back in Genesis. Christ came to the world exactly when God thought it was the right time - when man was ready.

Neither am I, Juj, but I can usually (at this stage of my life) see a nice heaping of BS from a mile away. I mean, ask yourself, if YOU were running the show, would you have dreamed up such an awful plan? How were the people from 2,000 years ago more 'ready' than those 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 years BEFORE them? what made them so special? What made us so special that we don't have to butcher lambs and crawl under the weight of overbearing laws no one could live up to? We get to have it much easier, but the folks in OT times had to endure the aggravation??? Think about it long and hard Juj. This is why some, if not ALL, the concepts of Christian theology can be a slippery slope if you keep digging and digging deeper into it. When it starts with a aupposed all-wise god who created everything is supposedly repsonsible for ALL that has happened,as it supposedly occurs under HIS watch in which NOTHING hapens without his consent, the evidence contradicts there is even such a person out there. If he or she is, then they are certainly asleep at the wheel and/or a bumbling idiot with no sense of proper planning or they just don't exist. Pick one.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 12-06-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality