Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
What is to read, post #2, you take a cheap shot, as that is all you have,
then again in #6, then in #8, again a silly insult directed at the poster.

Your tactics are common when believers don't like the truth, but have nothing to offer in rebuttal. And so it continues.....................
In between, I stated my case & rebutted Maher's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
What were these requirements???
A sinless life.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Yeah but like I've said before the Christian churches more than any other group in the world believe "Charity Begins At Home." They give a tenth of their earnings to build/buy buildings, purchase musical instruments and expensive sound systems, put down carpeting, install stained glass, build steeples, put in oak or mahagony pews, pay the preacher and provide him with a home, send missionaries to other countries to attempt to change their cultures, support sports leagues for their own children etc. etc.

The bible goes into precise detail in it's instructions to Noah for ark building but there's not a word in the new testament about building a Christian church.
God gave specific instructions on building the temple, & it was rather extravegant. In the NT, believers are urged to "meet together".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
One more thing. Obama's recent contribution from massive national debt took Stimulus money and gave it to Bush's Faith Based Initiatives and in doing so more than likely cost himself two future votes from this household.
So you're voting Republican?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
O"Reilly made a good point at the end. He said Maher can't explain how the earth got here yet he mocks those who believe in a God. He said "that's not noble, that is not noble."

I don't know why Maher has gotten so big into disproving Christians and trying to show them as crazies. I did watch his movie and it seems to me he came from a conflicted home. His mother was Jewish and his father was Catholic. The guy is mixed up and got different message at a young age.

It looked like his father put him into Catholic schools in his formative years but his mother didn't agree and took him out later. From the film it seems his father finally just gave up and stopped going to church. It does all start in the home. When you have parents giving you mixed messages and aguing it can get confusing. I think Maher just took the easy out and decided not to believe in anything.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
O"Reilly made a good point at the end. He said Maher can't explain how the earth got here yet he mocks those who believe in a God. He said "that's not noble, that is not noble."

I don't know why Maher has gotten so big into disproving Christians and trying to show them as crazies. I did watch his movie and it seems to me he came from a conflicted home. His mother was Jewish and his father was Catholic. The guy is mixed up and got different message at a young age.

It looked like his father put him into Catholic schools in his formative years but his mother didn't agree and took him out later. From the film it seems his father finally just gave up and stopped going to church. It does all start in the home. When you have parents giving you mixed messages and aguing it can get confusing. I think Maher just took the easy out and decided not to believe in anything.
Yup, brainwash them the Christian way...No outside influences or thoughts allowed.
Being an atheist is NOT the easy way...Thinking for yourself and taking full responsibility for all of your actions, good and bad is a lot harder than following a set of rules laid down by religious books and people.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Maher was influenced by both Christian and Jewish. They may not be that far apart but they do contradict some things---the big things. And most people know just giving up and saying I won't go either way is easy. It's human nature to take the easy way and not fight any of it. And Mahar is making a lot of money mocking it all so that is another incentive for him.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Maher was influenced by both Christian and Jewish.
So was I.

And I consider both traditions to be insane.

Quote:
They may not be that far apart but they do contradict some things---the big things. And most people know just giving up and saying I won't go either way is easy. It's human nature to take the easy way and not fight any of it. And Mahar is making a lot of money mocking it all so that is another incentive for him.
Don't fret about Maher's income. O'Reilly's is far greater, making 9 million dollars last year!!.

Watch the clip carefully again...

It's clear Bill O'Reilly doesn't believe a word he says. It's unfortunate. He's at the mercy of a huge money-making machine that depends upon the simplistic (and silly) neo-christian viewpoints espoused by a relatively small group of people.

Bill O'Reilly is nothing more than a media monkey.

Last edited by Astron1000; 12-07-2010 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
So was I.

And I consider both traditions to be insane.

Don't fret about Maher's income. O'Reilly's is far greater, making 9 million dollars last year!!.

Watch the clip carefully again...

It's clear Bill O'Reilly doesn't believe a word he says. It's unfortunate. He's at the mercy of a huge money-making machine that depends upon the simplistic (and silly) neo-christian viewpoints espoused by a relatively small group of people.

Bill O'Reilly is nothing more than a media monkey.
Catholic Church by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

O'Reilly is Catholic and we are not a relatively small group of people. LOL

74,115,01 in the US and 1,082,368,942 in the world.

I know O' Reilly believed what he was saying because that is what we are taught.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 AM

Default This is interesting---List of former atheists and agnostics

List of former atheists and agnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Well, the list of atheists that were formerly religious is a lot longer than that one. What were you trying to prove? Like myself, Maher was formerly Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality