Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,253,084 times

Advertisements

Just recently a teacher concerned about one of her students having personal issues at home addressed the Christian School's administration to either attempt to intervene or come up with a solution to help the child and address the issue/issues with the students parents. Without getting into specifics, being that whatever issues this child is dealing with at home the teacher felt that it should be handled by administration.

Interestingly enough, this teacher left the meeting frustrated because after meeting with the administration about some of this child's issues which for the most part is lack of stability at home, and which is obviously affecting the child emotionally, the administration had no real solutions. During the meeting she was basically told that the parents needs to get to know the lord before they can really offer any help. Now, we are talking about a child who entrusted the teacher in giving her info. and indirectly asking for help. Basically, the administration's answer was, "lets pray about it". Frustrated about it, the teacher asked the administration if that is all the action that is going to be taken. She asked, "Don't you think that it is a good idea to meet with the parents and address our concern in an effort to help this child, or are we just going to pray and wait?" Well, basically the answer was exactly that, pray and be there for the child.

Either the administrator/s are clueless, or they do not have a genuine interest in helping that child. I can understand and accept praying about issues. However, action is usually what can solve problems. It is frustrating and heartbreaking to hear what I feel is an incompetent, and narrow minded approach to this situation. Does anyone agree with the way it was handled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM

465 posts, read 528,889 times
I definitely don't agree, but that's the way they were trained to handle situations like that. Sad really.

Some people use prayer as a way to feel like they're helping, but they're really not.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Two hands working will accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Two hands working will accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.
Kind of a tangent on this subject that has frustrated me many times, is how charity suddenly becomes 'popular' around the holidays. People frantically helping the poor, aggressively marketing the food drive at the work place, pushing for donations, asking for toys or cars or other things for 'a needy family at christmas'. All for some false aggrandizement of themselves, to make themselves feel righteous and generous.

Well, those people don't just need help in December, and it's annoying when I'm aggressively pushed to help out so much this month, criticized for not having enough holiday spirit of generosity, when nobody makes a peep about helping out a needy family or feeding the homeless for the other eleven months of the year. As an atheist and a humanist I find that repulsive.

People need help all the time, not just on the wrongfully scheduled birthdate of an imaginary deity.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
I don't mind if people want to pray for me, because I do believe in the power of intention and the law of attraction, but it's not enough on its own. If my finger is cut of don't pray for me--friggin' sew it back on! Prayer is nice but practicality is also a must.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Kind of a tangent on this subject that has frustrated me many times, is how charity suddenly becomes 'popular' around the holidays. People frantically helping the poor, aggressively marketing the food drive at the work place, pushing for donations, asking for toys or cars or other things for 'a needy family at christmas'. All for some false aggrandizement of themselves, to make themselves feel righteous and generous.

Well, those people don't just need help in December, and it's annoying when I'm aggressively pushed to help out so much this month, criticized for not having enough holiday spirit of generosity, when nobody makes a peep about helping out a needy family or feeding the homeless for the other eleven months of the year. As an atheist and a humanist I find that repulsive.

People need help all the time, not just on the wrongfully scheduled birthdate of an imaginary deity.
So true. I've had several people come up to me and put money in my hand and say "Merry Christmas." It's so dumb how any time of the year they don't care but during Christmas they see anyone they view as "in need" and go up to them and give them money. I'm not trying to say I don't appreciate their trying to be kind, because I do, but it's just funny how people's minds work. If you really want to make a difference, go volunteer at a homeless shelter or a food bank or donate blood or something, don't just go up to strangers giving them five bucks which will last them a few meals at most. Worse yet, don't just come up to me and say "God Bless You" and then tell the person I'm with how amazing they are for "being with someone like me." At most that does nothing and at worst it's borderline insulting.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Just recently a teacher concerned about one of her students having personal issues at home addressed the Christian School's administration to either attempt to intervene or come up with a solution to help the child and address the issue/issues with the students parents. Without getting into specifics, being that whatever issues this child is dealing with at home the teacher felt that it should be handled by administration.

Interestingly enough, this teacher left the meeting frustrated because after meeting with the administration about some of this child's issues which for the most part is lack of stability at home, and which is obviously affecting the child emotionally, the administration had no real solutions. During the meeting she was basically told that the parents needs to get to know the lord before they can really offer any help. Now, we are talking about a child who entrusted the teacher in giving her info. and indirectly asking for help. Basically, the administration's answer was, "lets pray about it". Frustrated about it, the teacher asked the administration if that is all the action that is going to be taken. She asked, "Don't you think that it is a good idea to meet with the parents and address our concern in an effort to help this child, or are we just going to pray and wait?" Well, basically the answer was exactly that, pray and be there for the child.

Either the administrator/s are clueless, or they do not have a genuine interest in helping that child. I can understand and accept praying about issues. However, action is usually what can solve problems. It is frustrating and heartbreaking to hear what I feel is an incompetent, and narrow minded approach to this situation. Does anyone agree with the way it was handled?
You know in a situation like this if the administration of the school is not going to do anything then maybe the teacher should get in touch with the proper authorities to see what the problem is, it may sound a little drastic but it may also save a child's life and if that's the case, nothing is too drastic.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM

321 posts, read 920,991 times
Sadly, in today's society most school administrations are "afraid" to get involved for fear of a parent going off and suing the pants off someone or something. Many parents would be on the defense if the school admin came to them - their parenting is in question. The negativity and paralysis that would ensue unfortunately creates the "look the other" way syndrome. Praying (although a nice idea) isn't reality here. This child came to the teacher in confidence - that trust must be carefully handled. At this point I would suggest further conversation with the student and direct action by the teacher. Perhaps go over the head of the administration, or, handle the situation herself via authorities, DSS, whichever is appropriate for the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality