Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ya know, Jeff, I bet I'd get along great with your parents!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yep, me too.
They are great people who are full of integrity. Despite our differences, I love and respect them greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
There have been tons of books and movies written for kids that have an adult theme or meaning to them. That's what makes these easy for family entertainment. If there's a 7 year old interested in the occult and Harry Potter is the only thing keeping him from becoming an occultist than I think the parents and the child have bigger problems than Harry Potter. Animal Farm and Gulliver's Travels are two highly political books written for kids with an adult meaning behind them. I'm sure there wasn't a kid in elementary who read Animal Farm and thought "Four legs good to legs bad means I mustn't be a Communist". To say Harry Potter is brainwashing your children is a horrible excuse to make up for your lack of parenting.

I am not directing this at any particular person but it just boggles my mind how interpretative people can be. You know what I watched as a 3 year-old?? Jaws. I watched Jaws eat that woman on the beach so many times as a 3-year old that I hate the movie to this day I don't think I grew up so bad and I never have second thoughts about jumping in the ocean.
Oh yeah...I remember JAWS . My parents also took me to see all of the Friday the 13th movies and as a teenager I liked the Nightmare on Elm Streets ...I've tried watching them since I got older, and NOW, they all seem so ridiculously STUPID. But maybe that's because of some of the horror movies they have now

Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Oh yeah...I remember JAWS . My parents also took me to see all of the Friday the 13th movies and as a teenager I liked the Nightmare on Elm Streets ...I've tried watching them since I got older, and NOW, they all seem so ridiculously STUPID. But maybe that's because of some of the horror movies they have now
Haha, yeah I saw all of the Friday the 13th movies as a kid and I have seen them now and realize how corny and stupid they actually are. It's funny how inperceptive we are to things as kids but when we grow up we realize the "cheese factor".

Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
My church actually held a showing of Harry Potter movies last summer for the teens followed by a discussion. The discussion was like "When X happened, and Harry responded Y way, do you think that was the right thing? Why or why not? What would you have done?" etc. It was a great way to get the teens involved by letting them talk about something they were interested in, but also talking about integrity and morality.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My church actually held a showing of Harry Potter movies last summer for the teens followed by a discussion. The discussion was like "When X happened, and Harry responded Y way, do you think that was the right thing? Why or why not? What would you have done?" etc. It was a great way to get the teens involved by letting them talk about something they were interested in, but also talking about integrity and morality.
Totally awesome! I myself watched an hour long thing on G4 last night about the new HP movie and book and can't wait. My wife are going to the IMAX 3-D Theater this weekend to see it!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:55 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I'm not overly enthusiatic about censoring and book-burning, and I have no patience with the way some Christian folks act about such things as HP. They look totally ridiculous when they get so hysterical about it. So, I commend your church for showing some sense.

Personally, I enjoy reading HP. In fact, I have the first six books, and four movies. And, I will complete the collection of both. But then, I am somewhat of a rebel that way. I've also got "The Davinci Code", (both book and movie), and enjoyed them, as well. I just don't get into much of a lather about such things. Sometimes, I think that Christians take themselves much too seriously, trying to be the arbiter of other's morals and values. And, (going by things I've heard and read in the news), apparently they expect other people to take them just as seriously. Which, of course, makes them only appear silly. If folks don't feel comfortable reading such books, then of course, they shouldn't, but don't get in my way. Chances are, you'll get run over!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I'm not overly enthusiatic about censoring and book-burning, and I have no patience with the way some Christian folks act about such things as HP. They look totally ridiculous when they get so hysterical about it. So, I commend your church for showing some sense.

Personally, I enjoy reading HP. In fact, I have the first six books, and four movies. And, I will complete the collection of both. But then, I am somewhat of a rebel that way. I've also got "The Davinci Code", (both book and movie), and enjoyed them, as well. I just don't get into much of a lather about such things. Sometimes, I think that Christians take themselves much too seriously, trying to be the arbiter of other's morals and values. And, (going by things I've heard and read in the news), apparently they expect other people to take them just as seriously. Which, of course, makes them only appear silly. If folks don't feel comfortable reading such books, then of course, they shouldn't, but don't get in my way. Chances are, you'll get run over!
Oh Celtic, why aren't you on here more!? I just love your posts. Exactly as I see it...of course.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:02 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Oh Celtic, why aren't you on here more!? I just love your posts. Exactly as I see it...of course.
Thank you, Jeff! That's kind of you.

I just have to kind of "hit and miss it", right now. My husband has been going through chemo and radiation treatments, and my daughter and two grandsons are home for a long visit, (her husband is in the Air Force, stationed in Germany). It's the first time we have seen them in over two and a half years. So, I just grab time on the computer as I am able.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:27 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix... ?

Another foolish movie for people to waste their money on, and to fill the pockets of the witch RK Rowling or whatever her name is. The evil, suducing, wicked witch has duped people into giving her billions as she laughs at them all. But God sees it differently...

"He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision." (Psalm 2:4)

"The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." (Psalm 9:17)

Old 07-13-2007, 05:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
Marks wrote:
Quote:
Another foolish movie for people to waste their money on, and to fill the pockets of the witch RK Rowling or whatever her name is. The evil, suducing, wicked witch has duped people into giving her billions as she laughs at them all. But God sees it differently...
Wow! This series of books was so popular among children that they actually began to read again instead of watching idiotic television programs and playing violent video games. It's my understanding that because there's alot of reading material to get through with this series of books that it's actually improved the reading skills of children. Your remarks appear completely irrational. Could it be it's because she's a successful woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality