Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 06:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times

Advertisements

Tantalust, I did not follow how experiencing God''s Divine Love, sharing that with your family related to Jesus advising or explaining you would have to love him more than your family
to be considered a follower.

Notice how many translations say nothing about "hating" your family.
Would you like to say more on why you brought this verse up?
I mean what was your point exactly, with respect?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 06:56 AM

63,864 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
phetaroi...this is a forum, come on.
It goes both ways..if any person doesn't want to hear what another is saying here...pass on by.
I'm not in the Buddhist section or Pagan section knocking them...this is the place to express beliefs.
Anyone can say what they believe here....ie, hell, no hell, hell is eternal, hell isn't eternal, you go there after suicide or ya don't, and so on.

Some say they believe something or the Bible says it or they know it some other way.
It's what an open forum is about...esp when in real life you do keep your mouth shut unless asked.
Why Miss H. I am impressed! Love isn't always just "hippy dippy" now is it?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
It goes both ways..if any person doesn't want to hear what another is saying here...pass on by.
I'm not in the Buddhist section or Pagan section knocking them...this is the place to express beliefs.
Anyone can say what they believe here....ie, hell, no hell, hell is eternal, hell isn't eternal, you go there after suicide or ya don't, and so on.

Some say they believe something, or the Bible says it or they know it some other way.
It's what an open forum is about...esp, when in real life you do keep your mouth shut unless asked.
I think it would help if people phrased their personal beliefs and perspectives on topics such as this a little better, perhaps with the disclaimer, "I believe..." or "I've thought maybe..." or "I've wondered..."

I also thought SoCal came off as very smug and self-righteous because she presented her beliefs if they are absolute truths, so TD wasn't the only one. I just chose to ignore rather than comment on them.

I agree that the point of a forum like this is to state opinions and thoughts regarding spirituality, so there will always be differing perspectives. It would just be helpful if people would read their posts through as if another person were reading them before they submit them to see how they sound. Some good points might be missed if a person presents herself as a know-it-all.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:46 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,119,296 times
"Notice how many translations say nothing about "hating" your family.
Would you like to say more on why you brought this verse up?
I mean what was your point exactly, with respect?
"
--------------------------------------

Because any "love", in any way, shape or form [from anywhere/anyone] that instructs anyone to marginalize their families is not exactly "divine". It's evil.

That's just what I happen to believe.

We can sanitize Luke 14:26 further by using one of these terms instead of 'hate', :
To wit, cheapen...degrade ...belittle... weaken... "marginalize".. disparage.. demean.. devalue... and many more.

It still sounds like a Charley Manson style of 'love'.

I've personally known too many halo-wearing born again Christians who treated their family and friends like dirt.

Last edited by Tantalust; 04-28-2018 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: I forget

Old 04-28-2018, 09:51 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
That's nice that you are still able to practice that on your family , but just so you know, Jesus had some other ideas about it, as spelled out pretty clearly in https://biblehub.com/luke/14-26.htm
I sincerely hope you don't believe those verses. There are a few verses that do give a glimmer of truth to what Jesus' true teachings really are. Like this one:

Luke 24:32 New International Version (NIV)

They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?â€

What do you think "our hearts burning within us" means?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it would help if people phrased their personal beliefs and perspectives on topics such as this a little better, perhaps with the disclaimer, "I believe..." or "I've thought maybe..." or "I've wondered..."

I also thought SoCal came off as very smug and self-righteous because she presented her beliefs if they are absolute truths, so TD wasn't the only one. I just chose to ignore rather than comment on them.

I agree that the point of a forum like this is to state opinions and thoughts regarding spirituality, so there will always be differing perspectives. It would just be helpful if people would read their posts through as if another person were reading them before they submit them to see how they sound. Some good points might be missed if a person presents herself as a know-it-all.
When I began posting here in Nov 2009, I didn't realize that it was a popularity contest. I post what I've learned, what I believe. Perhaps my shorthand is too short. I just get to the facts as I've learned them providing quotes and links for further reading. I agree with you. If people don't like me or what I post, just move on.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:26 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:

Some say they believe something, or the Bible says it or they know it some other way.
It's what an open forum is about...esp, when in real life you do keep your mouth shut unless asked.
Miss Hepburn...come on. I'm discussing the topic of religion as it should be dealt with in real life, not how it should be dealt with on this forum.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:38 PM

11,043 posts, read 5,999,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Thanks for the nice words, Ms. Hepburn. Since the two dudes don't know me, they don't know that I really am a nice, loving person.

I don't want anybody to go to hell! That's why I keep sharing what I've learned... how to avoid it at all costs. But if it's too late to avoid it, there is hope to get out of there in the fastest way possible.

In the next life, there are two distinct areas. One is of light and the other is of darkness. Notice the similarity that we experience here in this earth life. There is no fire in hell. The only "fire" is mental torture and this comes from remembering all the negativity that was a part of our being... and this negativity may have resulted in all types of cruelties to either ourselves or others while we were alive.

Now when a person decides to take their own life... are they thinking positively or negatively? Are they being cruel to themselves and their family who, no doubt, will be heartbroken by their action?

I also want people to understand that hell isn't eternal. Even though some people (spirits) may be there for centuries.
Keep in mind that there are spirits of light (most likely family members and friends) who are always reaching out to these unfortunate ones letting them know they can rise above their desperate situation. But this has to do with God. One way is experiencing remorse and asking for forgiveness and the other way is to ask God to fill up their soul with His Divine Love.

Imho, people who don't believe in God are really missing out... as you posted above Divine Love is such an awesome thing... people need to experience this spiritual phenomena to understand it. It lifts us up and gives us extreme happiness. It's a supernatural high. No drugs needed.
SoCal, I just have to ask how you know all this?

P.S. It does come through that you are a nice, loving person.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
SoCal, I just have to ask how you know all this?

P.S. It does come through that you are a nice, loving person.
Thanks.

I believe in the afterlife and that it's possible for spirits to communicate with us. The reason for this belief came after my reading four volumes of messages titled: True Gospel Revealed Anew by Jesus, first published in 1940. The messages are phenomenal and contain info like who and what is God, what is our soul, why are we here and where are we going. It describes the Heavens and the Hells, but the main focus is the importance of receiving God's Divine Love in our souls.

Much of the content in the first two volumes is posted on my friend's website: Truth for all People, for which I'm always posting links.

Here's an eye-opening message from George H. Butler who describes Hell:

"I never, when on earth, thought much of the future life, except to convince myself that there was no hell, and if there was a God, He was not bothered about me, a mere man of many millions...But oh, the fatal mistake; and the unexpected realization of the fact that there is a hell! ... That there is a hell, I know to my sorrow and sufferings, for I have been the occupant of one for oh these many years; and it is always the same place of horrors and darkness, except sometime it is lighted by the flame of lurid light that comes from the anger and sufferings of some unfortunate like myself."

Here's a link to the message: George H. Butler

Here's George's bio on wikipedia: George Harris Butler bio

Old 04-28-2018, 03:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality