Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I shouldn't be lonely, God or no God. I have a family. But I am. I am so, so, so indescribably sad. Somebody help me through this. I just don't know how to feel. I just feel all alone...the person who doesn't have a God.

Thanks for reading.
Dont get me wrong, but I hope you are not on some kind of medication. When I met with an accident, I was given lots of pain killers for weeks at a stretch and I used to feel depressed and sad all the time. Its only after i stopped taking them the fog lifted.

If you are not on any medication, I suggest that you start reading anything and everything you lay your hands on. You cannot search God, just like you cannot search love. I mean, it happens when it happens. My belief is that God is like a feeling. We are one with God. there is nothing to be guilty about. You are human, its OK to feel sad and lonely. You will come out of it...just keep reading or what ever makes you happy. You will find your God when you start doing things which makes you happy. Try to break the routine and make time for yourself.
It helped me at least...so thats why I am suggesting you give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
I don't know. Economic sharing and cooperation also has it's state for believing. If I make some money it will go back into the market and allow somehow further development on Main Street.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
If your money goes into the stock market, its effects on 'Main Street' as I understand it will be minimal IMO.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 PM

48 posts, read 40,044 times
Hope this helps you out. Here are some reasons why I believe. God is very much alive and always showing us. There are many miracles that prove to us that God exists and wants us to know him. I am a Roman Catholic Christian so my examples are from my faith. The first one that comes to mind is the miracles at Lourdes, France. So many people have been healed of diseases after washing in the springs. Then there is the miracle at Fatima, Portugal on Oct. 13, 1917. Another example would be Saint Padre Pio who bore the stigmata for 50 years. You may want to read about Edith Stein, who was a brilliant woman and an athiest and how she came to believe and eventually became a nun who was killed at a concentration camp during WW!!. She is now known as Saint Benedicta of the Cross. Faith is a gift from God. Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. www.ewtn.com is a great site. Hope you find your answers and your faith. God Bless you.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 33,042 times
The Lord is my Shepperd, nothing I shall want. He is real, and he is there for us. We just have to call him and trust him with all our hearts.

I can testify. But we need to sincerely call him in.

He gives us rest. There is no more need for anything else after you find him.

Matthew 11:28
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Rev 3:20
20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

Heb 4:7

Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

I want to have "prayers" and to sit down and say them and KNOW they're the right thing to say and that somebody is hearing them.

I want to feel important. I do want to feel like somebody "made" me purposefully, simply because humans are so uber-cool and I'm one of them.

I want to believe that when they die, truly awful people, albeit in my definition (even if that definition matches that of many other people), get punished somehow and that people who are good get some sort of reward for their day-to-day earthly sufferings.

I want to believe that there's something bigger than myself. One thing. One big thing. (I guess I already said "big.")

I want to feel...not alone. Like there's a reason. A purpose.

But...

I can not seem to get a grip on "believing in God" and "choosing" a religion. Period. I can't do it. I have tried for so, so, so many years. From the time I was very little, I told myself (and everyone else) that I believed in God. For a while that was the Christian God or at least my interpretation of Him. For a while it was the Goddess. It's been Hindu god names...Celtic god names...etc.

But I never TRULY felt I was telling the truth to whomever God was, nor was I telling the truth to myself.

I don't know if I believe in God. At all.

This puts me in a horribly, horribly, horribly lonely place. I can't describe it. And I don't know what to believe anymore. This is all quite serious, folks. I'm not being facetious or trying to make a point.

I am lonely. Because I don't have a God. No matter how I try...I don't have one. Not for real. I just can't seem to outright "believe"...except when I'm VERY scared of bad things that could happen after death. And WTH is that? Not love, that's for sure!

I'm certain a few people will say, "Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?" and the answer to that is: I don't know why. I really don't know. I don't consider myself a stupid person. I think constantly. It's frightening how much of my day I spend thinking, pondering, wondering...about everything. I DO know how to think; I'm not a puppet and never have been, particularly to a religion. So: I don't know why I feel this way.

I shouldn't be lonely, God or no God. I have a family. But I am. I am so, so, so indescribably sad. Somebody help me through this. I just don't know how to feel. I just feel all alone...the person who doesn't have a God.

Thanks for reading.
Honestly this sounds more like personal issues than in needing a particular religion. Everyone on the planet, to some degree or another, wants to feel like they belong to something greater than themselves. However, religion is hardly the only thing out there and available. I would think that getting to the root of your lonliness would be far more productive than frantically trying to believe in something you clearly have doubts about, anyway. I'm not a believer myself, but I would think that using religion only to try and feel better instead of believing it as truth, good or bad, is a bad idea.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Honestly this sounds more like personal issues than in needing a particular religion. Everyone on the planet, to some degree or another, wants to feel like they belong to something greater than themselves. However, religion is hardly the only thing out there and available. I would think that getting to the root of your lonliness would be far more productive than frantically trying to believe in something you clearly have doubts about, anyway. I'm not a believer myself, but I would think that using religion only to try and feel better instead of believing it as truth, good or bad, is a bad idea.
That, that I put in bold. (imho is spot on)

Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM

69 posts, read 95,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The voice in my head said, 'trust me' and I did. (cutting to the chase of a long story) 10 months later my baby boy was born and I was able to bring him home from the hospital. That child is now 25. The significance of his birth to me was the knowing through prayer that all of my sins had been forgiven. I trusted the voice in my head...that voice was of God.

I disagree with you on the voices in the thoughts, theory.

I can count on one hand (I am 50 in age) the number of times this has happened for me. Each time a prayer to God has been answered.

PS: My prayers are delivered through Christ, always have been, always will be...always through the blood of Christ. Amen
But whose blood did Moses and Abraham and Noah pray to? I don't know why Muslims iconize Muhammed and Christians Jesus. Its like the messenger became the message. I am debating some Sunni guys and its always a struggle because they kind of worship the prophet of the Quran and they see me as a rejector because I don't. Its a constant struggle.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Default I'm not Special...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quranist View Post
But whose blood did Moses and Abraham and Noah pray to? I don't know why Muslims iconize Muhammed and Christians Jesus. Its like the messenger became the message. I am debating some Sunni guys and its always a struggle because they kind of worship the prophet of the Quran and they see me as a rejector because I don't. Its a constant struggle.
They gave burnt offerings. They slaughtered the first lamb, the best of the best, in an offering to God.
Then Pharaoh called Moses, and said, "Go, serve The Lord; your children also may go with you; only let your flocks and your herds remain behind." But Moses said, "You must also let us have sacrifices and burnt offerings, that we may sacrifice to The Lord our God." (Exodus 10:24-25 RSV) Bible Study - Up In Smoke

Hello Quranist,

I have seen your posts and for some reason, I thought you to be an acceptor, not a rejector of Muhammad.

You wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why Muslims iconize Muhammed and Christians Jesus. Its like the messenger became the message.
I have a post in another forum, that is my take on this.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post16208885

I joined C-D, because I thought I did well in college in philosophies class. I saw they had this forum. Two things I discovered. One, philosophies isn't discussed all that much on C-D and two, it is a good thing, because I really don't have the time I'd like to have, to devote to the learning from the great minds of Aristotle, Socrates, and Plato, plus so many more. Although these three are my favorites.

I also discovered a third thing...I didn't know who Muhammad was. In 2001 I really didn't know that much about the Middle East. Since then, I've learned more, but most of it quite frankly is confusing to me. The geography and the people's nationality as there seem to be many.

On occasion when I open a Bible I see the same names of the cities there, that I find written about in the news.

Sometime around 2008 (I took off on an adventure that didn't end well) I revisited these c-d forums and the subject was one of Islam. And so I had to ask and one poster was kind enough to explain it enough, that I became (much later in time) a quick study.

So, from the age of 9, when I accepted Christ as my Savior, till the age of 48, I knew nothing of Islam. In and around 2003, I had dreams that were to me, strange. I told a good friend of mine of these dreams and told her I didn't know what to make of them. She told me that God was trying to talk to me and tell me something. I told her the dreams were scaring me and I really didn't want to fall asleep. And besides, I told her, God talks to me through my thoughts that I think are of my own and only in time do I understand that it was God's voice.

She then asked where my thoughts had been lately. I told her, I'm unemployed, don't know what I am going to do from one day to the next and so my mind is rather, busy. She said, exactly...so, He has found a different channel.

What does this have to do with any thing...

In one of my dreams I dreamed baby Jesus was stolen. It's years later when I learned about Muhammad, it was then that I figured out, the dream; what it means to me. And now this The Four Righteous Caliphs (http://www.princeton.edu/%7Ebatke/itl/denise/right.htm - broken link) makes since to me. (again more to the dream than what I just disclosed, but for the sake of a short post, the summary is all that can be written)

Our society today is not like the society of the times in which these Books were written. Politics was just as active then as much as it is now. The Books written, disclose humanity, then, now and into the future.

What we wish to take from these Books of knowledge, is up to us. However, the Holy Spirit, is now and forever will be present, whether we choose to believe or not.

For the political aspect Preparing the Way: The English Bible before King James , how we almost didn't have the other people's knowledge in how they viewed humanity.

"they refused to send taxes to Medina" The Four Righteous Caliphs (http://www.princeton.edu/%7Ebatke/itl/denise/right.htm - broken link) that one, it's all about, the money....Christ over turned the money tables in the Church...for Him, it is not about the money as money has no meaning for Him or for those spirits who reside in Heaven....

With Muhammad, I don't have a personal relationship with him. It is my understand that his words are given through an Imam. Christ on the other hand, we don't need and Imam, all we need to do, is search our hearts and there we find our Lord in Christ.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 02-04-2011 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: added a title

Old 06-08-2011, 12:21 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

I want to have "prayers" and to sit down and say them and KNOW they're the right thing to say and that somebody is hearing them.

I want to feel important. I do want to feel like somebody "made" me purposefully, simply because humans are so uber-cool and I'm one of them.

I want to believe that when they die, truly awful people, albeit in my definition (even if that definition matches that of many other people), get punished somehow and that people who are good get some sort of reward for their day-to-day earthly sufferings.

I want to believe that there's something bigger than myself. One thing. One big thing. (I guess I already said "big.")

I want to feel...not alone. Like there's a reason. A purpose.

But...

I can not seem to get a grip on "believing in God" and "choosing" a religion. Period. I can't do it. I have tried for so, so, so many years. From the time I was very little, I told myself (and everyone else) that I believed in God. For a while that was the Christian God or at least my interpretation of Him. For a while it was the Goddess. It's been Hindu god names...Celtic god names...etc.

But I never TRULY felt I was telling the truth to whomever God was, nor was I telling the truth to myself.

I don't know if I believe in God. At all.

This puts me in a horribly, horribly, horribly lonely place. I can't describe it. And I don't know what to believe anymore. This is all quite serious, folks. I'm not being facetious or trying to make a point.

I am lonely. Because I don't have a God. No matter how I try...I don't have one. Not for real. I just can't seem to outright "believe"...except when I'm VERY scared of bad things that could happen after death. And WTH is that? Not love, that's for sure!

I'm certain a few people will say, "Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?" and the answer to that is: I don't know why. I really don't know. I don't consider myself a stupid person. I think constantly. It's frightening how much of my day I spend thinking, pondering, wondering...about everything. I DO know how to think; I'm not a puppet and never have been, particularly to a religion. So: I don't know why I feel this way.

Thanks for reading.
I've always believed that the universe worked like a giant clock, with everything affecting everything else, everything predestined, but unknown, so therefore still our own choices. This makes me feel like you are important. You have a destiny. You pull the gears to the universe. (this is just my hypothesis though).

I don't know about prayers, but you might talke to people you know, be honest with them, learn to see things through their eyes. I try to do this and have found it very rewarding to discover that so many others are in our same boat.

I do know that being evil can leave a bitter taste in one's mouth, that will not leave, that can pile up and devour someone from the inside out. The good have the knowledge of being good. For a time, I did things which were not good, not unforgivable, but not good, and I stopped them, and I've never loved life more.

I believe you are a piece of the clock of the universe. That is quite a big thing.

There are purposes to life out there. Look at someone hungry who needs food. There is a purpose. Look at a great sculpture. There is a purpose. Look at the comedians who lighten the hearts of countless viewers. There is a purpose.

Hopefully this brightens you mood, if not, gave it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality