Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,124,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes. I do.

I want to have "prayers" and to sit down and say them and KNOW they're the right thing to say and that somebody is hearing them.

I want to feel important. I do want to feel like somebody "made" me purposefully, simply because humans are so uber-cool and I'm one of them.

I want to believe that when they die, truly awful people, albeit in my definition (even if that definition matches that of many other people), get punished somehow and that people who are good get some sort of reward for their day-to-day earthly sufferings.

I want to believe that there's something bigger than myself. One thing. One big thing. (I guess I already said "big.")

I want to feel...not alone. Like there's a reason. A purpose.

But...

I can not seem to get a grip on "believing in God" and "choosing" a religion. Period. I can't do it. I have tried for so, so, so many years. From the time I was very little, I told myself (and everyone else) that I believed in God. For a while that was the Christian God or at least my interpretation of Him. For a while it was the Goddess. It's been Hindu god names...Celtic god names...etc.

But I never TRULY felt I was telling the truth to whomever God was, nor was I telling the truth to myself.

I don't know if I believe in God. At all.

This puts me in a horribly, horribly, horribly lonely place. I can't describe it. And I don't know what to believe anymore. This is all quite serious, folks. I'm not being facetious or trying to make a point.

I am lonely. Because I don't have a God. No matter how I try...I don't have one. Not for real. I just can't seem to outright "believe"...except when I'm VERY scared of bad things that could happen after death. And WTH is that? Not love, that's for sure!

I'm certain a few people will say, "Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?" and the answer to that is: I don't know why. I really don't know. I don't consider myself a stupid person. I think constantly. It's frightening how much of my day I spend thinking, pondering, wondering...about everything. I DO know how to think; I'm not a puppet and never have been, particularly to a religion. So: I don't know why I feel this way.

I shouldn't be lonely, God or no God. I have a family. But I am. I am so, so, so indescribably sad. Somebody help me through this. I just don't know how to feel. I just feel all alone...the person who doesn't have a God.

Thanks for reading.
Logic and Reason would be sufficient if we were machines instead of people, huh? All joking aside, it sounds like you're in a very excruciating place.

"I'm certain a few people will say, Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?"

The religious impulse is universal. It's a human thing. What you're feeling is the presence of that God-Shaped Hole we all instinctively fill with something or other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
Quote:
I want to have "prayers" and to sit down and say them and KNOW they're the right thing to say and that somebody is hearing them.
You're only talking to yourself, so what ever want to hear, go for it.

Quote:
I want to feel important. I do want to feel like somebody "made" me purposefully, simply because humans are so uber-cool and I'm one of them.
The reality is, you, I, and everyone else are just another animal existing for how ever long we have, with no purpose except contuiance of the species.
Quote:
I want to believe that when they die, truly awful people, albeit in my definition (even if that definition matches that of many other people), get punished somehow and that people who are good get some sort of reward for their day-to-day earthly sufferings.
Nope, everyone is just dead, end of the line, end of story.

Quote:
I want to believe that there's something bigger than myself. One thing. One big thing. (I guess I already said "big.")
Nope, and you will be happier if you stop trying to delude yourself into something that isn't.

Quote:
Get a dog

Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify something so nobody has to worry! -- I should have stated that this is how I feel *when I think about there being no God*.
I know that feeling. It comes when I experience doubt.

Some people are comforted by the thought of there being no God, which is incomprehensible to me.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You're only talking to yourself, so what ever want to hear, go for it.

The reality is, you, I, and everyone else are just another animal existing for how ever long we have, with no purpose except contuiance of the species.

Nope, everyone is just dead, end of the line, end of story.

Nope, and you will be happier if you stop trying to delude yourself into something that isn't.

Get a dog

You should write for Hallmark.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,739,452 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

But...

I can not seem to get a grip on "believing in God" and "choosing" a religion. Period. I can't do it. I have tried for so, so, so many years. From the time I was very little, I told myself (and everyone else) that I believed in God. For a while that was the Christian God or at least my interpretation of Him. For a while it was the Goddess. It's been Hindu god names...Celtic god names...etc.

But I never TRULY felt I was telling the truth to whomever God was, nor was I telling the truth to myself.

I don't know if I believe in God. At all.

This puts me in a horribly, horribly, horribly lonely place. I can't describe it. And I don't know what to believe anymore. This is all quite serious, folks. I'm not being facetious or trying to make a point.

I am lonely. Because I don't have a God. No matter how I try...I don't have one. Not for real. I just can't seem to outright "believe"...except when I'm VERY scared of bad things that could happen after death. And WTH is that? Not love, that's for sure!

I'm certain a few people will say, "Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?" and the answer to that is: I don't know why. I really don't know. I don't consider myself a stupid person. I think constantly. It's frightening how much of my day I spend thinking, pondering, wondering...about everything. I DO know how to think; I'm not a puppet and never have been, particularly to a religion. So: I don't know why I feel this way.

I shouldn't be lonely, God or no God. I have a family. But I am. I am so, so, so indescribably sad. Somebody help me through this. I just don't know how to feel. I just feel all alone...the person who doesn't have a God.

Thanks for reading.
Have you ever considered Buddhism. There are many varieties and you can find which one is the best fit for you. It is said that Buddha gave 80,000 teachings and none of them are wrong. Here are the centers located in L.A. alone. There are many more listed at this same site.
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search...province_id=26

Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,490 times
Don't worship. Worship is a sign of weakness, of lack of lordship over yourself.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Don't worship. Worship is a sign of weakness, of lack of lordship over yourself.
You do Satan proud.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
You do Satan proud.
and you believe in the fictional characters of fairy tales

Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
You do Satan proud.
Good; the satan-character in the bible is symbol for thinking for oneself rather than blindly following.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Good; the satan-character in the bible is symbol for thinking for oneself rather than blindly following.
According to Luciferians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality