Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM

668 posts, read 681,621 times

Advertisements

From another post but off topic there:

It's easy to do what you are told and not question anything. But is it seeking the "truth"?

To me joining established belief systems, whether they are religious or otherwise, then blindly following them, is what causes disunity between people and cultures.

Many wars are fought because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Well, that might explain why I stopped with the organized and went out on my own for so long.

Actually, it was because of my questioning what I was hearing and witnessing in church that made me seek out the answers on my own. What I found out was that our pastor was only preaching what he felt the congregation wanted to hear, he did not want to muddy up the waters.

I could not live with that, so became an adept student who studied her Bible and asked a lot of questions that needed to be looked up, or asked to people who I felt would give me straight answers. When my Bible was unclear, I went and got a Bible that was easier to read, but one that I could see matched the harder King James version.

So, I confess, I just don't go along with the crowd, I find my own way.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
I don't know if this is why you started this thread or not, however, this still has NOTHING to do with what Kaykay and I were trying to say about flaky people in the other thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I don't know if this is why you started this thread or not, however, this still has NOTHING to do with what Kaykay and I were trying to say about flaky people in the other thread
I must have misread you.

I just thought Kay kays post getting off topic

Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
I think this is a good thread regardless of the reasons or misunderstandings behind it.

I admit I also could not follow orthodoxy off into the sunset...I have always had an inquisitive nature, and always asked the questions that made others in my faith uncomfortable. This questions did not stem from rebellion, but from things that truly made no sense to me, and more importantly, did not FEEL right in my heart.

So I have traveled a very bumpy road at times, but now I my beliefs are not based on what I have been told is the truth, but what I have earnestly studied and discovered to be the truth. Some of this has lined up with what I was raised with, and some of it was not.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Anyone out there, care to give commentary on this point:

To me joining established belief systems, whether they are religious or otherwise, then blindly following them, is what causes disunity between people and cultures.

Most wars are caused by the above principal.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Anyone out there, care to give commentary on this point:

Most wars are caused by the above principal.
I think I can agree with this. I believe that blindly following anything is dangerous. Yes, even Christ! Of course our faith is the most important thing (for without it, it is impossible to please God), but that doesn't mean we are to sit there like a baby bird, with our eyes shut and mouth open, swallowing whatever is being regurgitated to us.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
In many organized institutions, anybody is free to leave if they disagree. In most organized churches, one is free to leave although there are some that spell out the consequences if you choose to do so. We are given the choice to make that determination for ourselves.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
In many organized institutions, anybody is free to leave if they disagree. In most organized churches, one is free to leave although there are some that spell out the consequences if you choose to do so. We are given the choice to make that determination for ourselves.

So to merely disagree with an organized belief system you get the old "heave ho"?

I never got heaved from my old church and I discussed my ideas with the ministers. They might have been glad that I stopped comin' around.

Jeff: "regurgitated" Use of words like that may cause controversy. But rings true.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
So to merely disagree with an organized belief system you get the old "heave ho"?

I never got heaved from my old church and I discussed my ideas with the ministers. They might have been glad that I stopped comin' around.

Jeff: "regurgitated" Use of words like that may cause controversy. But rings true.
I believe that urban is talking about his former religion, which was Mormonism. They definately give the old "heave ho".

"Regurgitated" is not being used to anger anyone, but considering the subject at hand, and my bird analogy, I find it apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality