Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,705,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
God spared me more than once in Vietnam. You will know it when it happens to you.
There are many atheists in foxholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,568,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
God spared me more than once in Vietnam. You will know it when it happens to you.
Yep...sure ain't no atheists in foxholes.

Sorry Cougar...didn't see your post before. As you might imagine my remark was tongue in cheek.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,934,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Looks like round #2 went into the floor I figure that was the first time that guy had fired a gun.

I really wonder if the gunman didn't want to kill anybody in the first place. He misses at point blank range - OK, maybe a bad shot - but a really bad shot.
Then he shoots into the floor - now, how bad a shot does someone have to be to do that.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,682,882 times
Well, I guess it makes sense that God blocked the bullet. Two weeks ago, it appears He was to blame for a football player dropping what would have been a certain touchdown pass. Had to make up for that one!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM

419 posts, read 870,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because god cares about some fat old white Floridian more than he cares about millions of starving children.
Bumper sticker time!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,565,472 times
If the guy is thankful to be allive and is a believer, what harm is he doing to anyone by saying God blocked the bullet? It was simply a statement based on his beliefs..that's all-----he didn't ask anyone to believe him.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,249,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
It's insulting to anyone who's ever lost a loved to violence for someone to come out and say "God saved me. Look at me I'm special!!!" No, you're not special, just lucky.
And he didn't claim to be special. You are the insulting one.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,592,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
If the guy is thankful to be allive and is a believer, what harm is he doing to anyone by saying God blocked the bullet? It was simply a statement based on his beliefs..that's all-----he didn't ask anyone to believe him.
Yes, he has the right to his opinion, but it also perpetuates the myth of gods and the fact they have any power over anything (save for the minds of those that follow the myth without evidence).

How many people have prayed over some medical condition because they believe the myth of a god that will cure them, and have died or suffered unduly because they did not go to a doctor in time.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,568,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, he has the right to his opinion, but it also perpetuates the myth of gods and the fact they have any power over anything (save for the minds of those that follow the myth without evidence).

How many people have prayed over some medical condition because they believe the myth of a god that will cure them, and have died or suffered unduly because they did not go to a doctor in time.
Of course like most things I tell they are redundant but to me this is perfect proof about how much good prayer does...none, zero, zilch, nada.

When I was a youngster in the 1940's, 1050's I went to Wednesday night prayer meetings with my grandparents. People were dying in droves from heart problems or cancer. There was little anyone could do for either ailment. Usually if an initial heart attack didn't take people out they laid around as an invalid for a year or two and died. There was no treatment for cancer except antiquated surgical techniques and half the time if they operated the cancer metasticized and they died within a year or often for the more virulent forms within a few months. Prayer lists were a foot or two long. Every family either had a member or a close friend who was ailing. Prayers were said by the millions and guess what? They died anyway.

Now with better diets, sophisticated diagnostic systems, stents, bypass surgery, transplants, robotic surgery, chemotherapy, radiation treatments etc. the same kind of patients often live on into their eighties and sometimes nineties. All that praying back then didn't have anything to do with their dying and it doesn't have anything to do with their living now. These statistics can be proven by actuarial tables used by insurance companies and we all know they don't bet on a loser.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 12-16-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,249,845 times
I too have been saddened when the answer to a prayer was "no". I have witnessed many more occasions when the answer was "yes!". We don't know why God does the things He does, but He loves us and we can trust in His judgement as being correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality