Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I too have been saddened when the answer to a prayer was "no". I have witnessed many more occasions when the answer was "yes!". We don't know why God does the things He does, but He loves us and we can trust in His judgement as being correct.
Right now, there are children dying horribly painful deaths from cancer. Their parents are not praying for the child to live, only that their child suffering will end. They simply don't want to see their child suffer longer.

Is God "not answering" their prayers, or is God's answer "no"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Right now, there are children dying horribly painful deaths from cancer. Their parents are not praying for the child to live, only that their child suffering will end. They simply don't want to see their child suffer longer.

Is God "not answering" their prayers, or is God's answer "no"?
That is exactly the point to my reference to statistics about the hundreds of thousands who were being prayed for by millions back in the 1940's and 1950's. Was his answer a resounding "NO" to all those unfortunates who had cancer or heart disease and little hope for a medical solution but now with modern medical technology and sophisticated treatments is his answer a resounding "Yes?" It makes about as much sense as trying to pull the horns of a muley headed cow.

Like George Carlin said in his comedy routine about religion and prayer, "I Get About The Same Answer To My Prayers Whether I Pray To God Or The Sun...About 50 50 Either Way."

The thing about those always optimistic Christians is they never remember the 50 percent of No's and never forget the 50% of Yes's.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I hope you will find reason to have faith in God.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:40 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Bideshi: And I hope you will find reason not to. There is a lot more reason pointing that way.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I really wonder if the gunman didn't want to kill anybody in the first place. He misses at point blank range - OK, maybe a bad shot - but a really bad shot.
Then he shoots into the floor - now, how bad a shot does someone have to be to do that.
His wife says he was an excellent marksman who wanted to miss.

Police say Florida school board gunman had Dec. 14 marked on calendar | abc13.com (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=7845128 - broken link)

Quote:
Rebecca Duke said her husband was an excellent marksman who probably intentionally missed the five board members who were sitting just steps away.

"He didn't want any one to get hurt but himself," she said.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Zealots abound!

Speaks well to the idea of carrying the "J" Frame when out and about. Never know when you'll become the target of some guy's intense zealotry.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Speaks well to the idea of carrying the "J" Frame when out and about. Never know when you'll become the target of some guy's intense zealotry.
"Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord."
Psalm 119:1
...The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you joy...

Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That is exactly the point to my reference to statistics about the hundreds of thousands who were being prayed for by millions back in the 1940's and 1950's. Was his answer a resounding "NO" to all those unfortunates who had cancer or heart disease and little hope for a medical solution but now with modern medical technology and sophisticated treatments is his answer a resounding "Yes?" It makes about as much sense as trying to pull the horns of a muley headed cow.

Like George Carlin said in his comedy routine about religion and prayer, "I Get About The Same Answer To My Prayers Whether I Pray To God Or The Sun...About 50 50 Either Way."

The thing about those always optimistic Christians is they never remember the 50 percent of No's and never forget the 50% of Yes's.
What % of the time did you tell your kids yes?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I hope you will find reason to have faith in God.
I hope I'm never that delusional or desperate.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
"school board member says God blocked the bullet."

Here's the magic formula!
Now, if only god can block the bullets aimed at American troops in Afghanistan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality