Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
my church taught me self loathing
Do you mean loathing = to hate oneself, or....

loafing = perpetual laziness??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 AM

267 posts, read 533,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Do you mean loathing = to hate oneself, or....

loafing = perpetual laziness??
Both. We weren't really the get up and sing types. Those were comfy chairs, though.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Both. We weren't really the get up and sing types. Those were comfy chairs, though.
As a catholic, I would know absolutly nothing about comfy chairs....I have spent a heck of a lot of time on my knees, though....

Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
As a catholic, I would know absolutly nothing about comfy chairs....I have spent a heck of a lot of time on my knees, though....
heheheheh. I'd be the person everyone was glaring at. Grumpiness about being dragged somewhere against one's will is an excuse.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
heheheheh. I'd be the person everyone was glaring at. Grumpiness about being dragged somewhere against one's will is an excuse.
You sound like my 11 yo son...grumpy and complaining about.....

church....school....basically anything that requires any effort....I hope I'm not in trouble.....please tell me that it was a "phase" for you and you're really a brain surgeon....

Old 07-14-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
You sound like my 11 yo son...grumpy and complaining about.....

church....school....basically anything that requires any effort....I hope I'm not in trouble.....please tell me that it was a "phase" for you and you're really a brain surgeon....
School I enjoyed. The longer you spend on the couch the more you see the need to keep yourself occupied with something later on.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Here I am again, having wandered into a religious forum...the title "what does your church preach" caught my eye. I was very curious.
Having read the post it seems that mostly churches preach that anyone who wants to be saved must accept Jesus. But that surely can't be all they preach.
Anyone who has read my posts anywhere will know I'm an atheist, but I am very curious about what churches preach.
Sometimes, I've listened to radio broadcasts of various churches.
Often I get the impression that many preachers subtly preach politics to favor the conservative side, also to look down of others.
I have read parts of the bible and thought that many ideas that Jesus said were very good, only if people lived by his teachings. Such as, how we should all treat each other. I know that in one section in the bible (which I can't find) Jesus says that for one man to mistreat another man he (Jesus) regards that as a slap in his face. From the way people treat each other Jesus's face must be awfully red and bruised.
I wonder, what do preachers preach for their congregations to have an honest look at themselves?

Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 PM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Default What my church teaches

As I've stated in another thread, I attend a Calvary Chapel here in Southern California. Here's their statement of faith:

The Calvary Chapel Church has been formed as a fellowship of believers
in the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Our supreme desire is to know Christ and be conformed into His image
by the power of the Holy Spirit.

We are not a denominational church,
nor are we opposed to denominations as such,
only their over-emphasis of doctrinal differences that
have led to the division of the body of Christ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We Believe that the only true basis of Christian fellowship is His (Agape) love, which is greater than any differences we possess and without which we have no right to claim ourselves Christians.

We Believe worship of God should be Spiritual.
Therefore: We remain flexible and yielded to the Holy Spirit to direct our worship.

We Believe worship of God should be Inspirational.
Therefore: We give a great place to music in our worship.

We Believe worship of God should be Intelligent.
Therefore: Our services are designed with great emphasis upon teaching of the Word of God that He might instruct us how He should be worshipped.

We Believe worship of God is Fruitful.
Therefore: We look for His Love in our lives as the supreme manifestation that we have truly been worshipping Him.

They believe that the gifts of the Spirit are for today, even though they aren't expressed during the worship services (speaking in tongues, healing, prophesying, etc.).

They believe in a pre-Tribulational rapture of the Church.

They don't have women pastors, only men (just like the Fundamentalist Baptist churches).

They don't believe in once saved/always saved.

They have churches all over the country and the world. Here's their website in case anyone is interested in finding out more:

Calvary Chapel

Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM

328 posts, read 1,034,091 times
Default Hear and Live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
by grace ye have been saved THRU faith...hmmm what does that mean then?
Hear the word and live the word......

Old 07-15-2007, 06:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
[quote=Visvaldis;1066854]Here I am again, having wandered into a religious forum...the title "what does your church preach" caught my eye. I was very curious.
Having read the post it seems that mostly churches preach that anyone who wants to be saved must accept Jesus. But that surely can't be all they preach.
Anyone who has read my posts anywhere will know I'm an atheist, but I am very curious about what churches preach.
Sometimes, I've listened to radio broadcasts of various churches.
Often I get the impression that many preachers subtly preach politics to favor the conservative side, also to look down of others.I have read parts of the bible and thought that many ideas that Jesus said were very good, only if people lived by his teachings. Such as, how we should all treat each other. I know that in one section in the bible (which I can't find) Jesus says that for one man to mistreat another man he (Jesus) regards that as a slap in his face. From the way people treat each other Jesus's face must be awfully red and bruised.
I wonder, what do preachers preach for their congregations to have an honest look at themselves?[/QUOTE]

The salvation message is almost always included in any service. That's always the primary focus.

If you consider that many denominations have 3 (or perhaps more) services per week, almost every subject available in the Bible has probably been the subject of a message. It starts out with scriptural references.

There have been a couple of times that I've heard actual politics from the pulpit and it absolutely makes me cringe. And it certainly wasn't in the church that I now attend.

I'm not sure what you mean by subtly preaching politics to favor the conservative side. Perhaps some do, or perhaps some conservative stands are simply congruent with Biblical teachings.

We're always to look inwardly, not to see if we meet the expectations of those around us, or in the eyes of the pastor, but to look to God for how we should conduct ourselves. The pastor will use scripture as a basis for personal conduct.

Also, the pastor preaches to the church...and what our responsibilty is to God, each other, and those outside the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality