Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you patronize mainly Christian owned businesses?
Yes, almost exclusively 1 1.64%
Yes, as much as possible 7 11.48%
No, it doesn't matter to me, customer service is more important 33 54.10%
No, I purposely avoid them 20 32.79%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Just curious, Alpha, (and maybe I just missed this in your previous posts, so forgive me, if I'm making you repeat yourself), but do you give the book to each of your clients, or just the ones you believe would be interested? I remember the first place my husband and I bought, the realtor bought us a couple of steaks and a bottle of champagne. So, if you mean the book to be a gift, with no "in your face" preaching, then I don't see why anyone should be offended by it. I actually have a copy of it, myself, from my step-daughter, but I do have to admit, I still haven't read it.
No, I give it to every client, regardless of how I think it will be received.

It's only been awkward about two times, for me anyway.

Once when I had helped an unmarried couple buy a house together. And once was when the client I was giving it to had used a LOT of profanity with me in the real estate transaction. Neither seemed to mind though and I've been around both since then.

Also CelticLady, it's not all I give them. Regardless of transaction size, everybody get s a $50 gift card somewhere and a PDL book.

In closing, thinking and praying about you and your situation. Let us know how it's going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
The sad thing is, I have had worse experiences with someone with that little fish than I have with people with no faith at all

Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I try to patronise ethical and environmentally friendly shops if at all possible. Being an atheist I do not care as long as I know the goods I buy are not part of an exploitative chain. For example I would never shop in WalMart or buy Nikes.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, I give it to every client, regardless of how I think it will be received.

It's only been awkward about two times, for me anyway.

Once when I had helped an unmarried couple buy a house together. And once was when the client I was giving it to had used a LOT of profanity with me in the real estate transaction. Neither seemed to mind though and I've been around both since then.

Also CelticLady, it's not all I give them. Regardless of transaction size, everybody get s a $50 gift card somewhere and a PDL book.

In closing, thinking and praying about you and your situation. Let us know how it's going.
Well, I think you're doing fine, then, (for whatever that may be worth). Between the book and the gift certificate, I should think that folks would take it in the spirit in which it was intended.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:42 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
If there's any atheist owned businesses they're not advertising that fact where I live.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If there's any atheist owned businesses they're not advertising that fact where I live.
Is there actually a "symbol" for atheism? Is it that little backwards fish with legs that says Darwin or ????? Seriously, I'm just curious!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:07 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Is there actually a "symbol" for atheism? Is it that little backwards fish with legs that says Darwin or ????? Seriously, I'm just curious!
Kawgpz500 that was too funny!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
kawg wrote:
Quote:
There's been a sort of bumper sticker war between believers and non-believers and since Darwin is one of my heroes I'm familiar with what you're talking about. I don't think it would be good for business though, there's just not enough of us.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:16 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There's been a sort of bumper sticker war between believers and non-believers and since Darwin is one of my heroes I'm familiar with what you're talking about. I don't think it would be good for business though, there's just not enough of us.
Hey MontanaGuy, you never chimed in on my professional antics. I'm anxious to know your thoughts. And you know me, you won't offend me.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
When it comes to books and cards I always try to patronize the local Christian bookstore..mainly due to the selection and content. The prices on cards are definitely higher, but they have the message I'm looking for nine times out of ten.

I have known too many Christians who have put the fish on their business cards and forgotten that people will hold them to a higher standard when they see that...believers or non-believers.

I had my own business and did not use the fish symbol. I wanted people to see Christ in me, rather than judge me because of a fish on a business card or website.

In regards to Alpha's scripture reference, as a believer I would be more drawn to a scripture reference than the fish symbol. IMO there is more thought put behind selecting a scripture than putting a fish symbol on the card or email.

In the business world I do not use my scripture references, the closing line "blessings" or anything that would relate to Christianity. Again, they will see Christ in my words and in my actions.

And as Kawgpz, and others, I too have been taken by people who have claimed to be Christians. In my experience the ones I will not trust until they prove themselves are plumbers, electricians, tree trimmers, basically anything high cost to my house. When I have people over to do bids and they see the photos of Jesus and scripture references in photos I'll get a comment in the conversation about how they go to church. At that point the trust level is gone and I usually won't contract that person or company. Don't play up to my faith just to get my business. I'm smarter than that...yeah believers in Christ are pretty smart people...even though there are a lot of people out there who think we're pretty stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality