Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let's pretend for a moment. Suppose you were talking to someone that was completly ignorant of the Christian way. How would you define "Confess Jesus as Lord?"

Would trying to follow his teachings be enough? Why not?

Here again, we are trying to tie God's hands as to who is and who isn't. I don't think that we should do that.

I suspect that when we look at that line outside the Pearly Gates, there will be a lot who have been crossing their fingers about a lot of things.
How would you define Confess Christ...well Romans 10:9 says

9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved...10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I can relate to this Alpha, maybe thats what the guy was talking about. Thanks. I think you handled the situation well. At the church we attend now, baptism and joining have nothing to do with each other, if u accept Christ, you can be baptised anywhere anytime, with no obligation to our church, just to God.
That's biblical. My situation was not.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yes I know, Ive posted my experience with what the same type of situation in a prev thread, I know where you were coming from and agree with you 200%. yea 200 didnt mean to tie my post that what we did and what u experienced were in any way tied together.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
How would you define Confess Christ...well Romans 10:9 says

9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved...10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Amen!

Padgett, just so you know, I actually am not legalistic on this issue, I am somewhat playing the role of devil's advocate for the purpose of discussion.

That being said, I do think that certains sects and denominations put too much emphasis on rules, regs, rituals, ect instead of a personal heart-changing experience with Christ, which does come from personal confession, not from baptism itself, or learning church history and beliefs.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let's pretend for a moment. Suppose you were talking to someone that was completly ignorant of the Christian way. How would you define "Confess Jesus as Lord?"

Would trying to follow his teachings be enough? Why not?

Here again, we are trying to tie God's hands as to who is and who isn't. I don't think that we should do that.

I suspect that when we look at that line outside the Pearly Gates, there will be a lot who have been crossing their fingers about a lot of things.
What do you think it means to "follow his teachings?"

Old 07-13-2007, 01:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
But kay, we can't be legalistic about things. The 2nd half only talks about a negative consequence if they don't believe, not if they don't get baptized.

(It just doesn't feel the same kay! Need you and I to put on our boxing gloves!)

You're right! Just not the same! Without the passion of real conviction behind it, arguing just doesn't have the same thrill! Oh, well, not to worry, I'm sure something will come up shortly where we can "really" argue!

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-13-2007 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: fixed my quote

Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
I know a lot of people don't agree. But I believe it is required. The Bible states it is for the remission of sins. How then can our sins be forgiven if we are not baptized?

When the Eunich asked what he needed to do to be saved the reply was "believe and be baptized and he immediately went down to the river and was baptized. I think it is essential. And it worries me that others don't see it this way. Alot. I guess God will figure it out.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Alpha...did you baptize him?

I think your pastor was absolutely in error...did he give any biblical basis for not baptizing the new child of God?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I know a lot of people don't agree. But I believe it is required. The Bible states it is for the remission of sins. How then can our sins be forgiven if we are not baptized?

When the Eunich asked what he needed to do to be saved the reply was "believe and be baptized and he immediately went down to the river and was baptized. I think it is essential. And it worries me that others don't see it this way. Alot. I guess God will figure it out.
God will figure it out, you're right on that spunk.

But the thief on the cross didn't get dipped!!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
You're right! Just not the same! Without the passion of real conviction behind it, arguing just doesn't have the same thrill! Oh, well, not to worry, I'm sure something will come up shortly where we can "really" argue!
LOL! I'm sure holding my breath wont even pose a danger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality