Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 12:57 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Instead of the "second coming" it should be called "being stood up by Jesus"
Not to mention the fact that if his coming is in the future it can't really be proven to be false... such an easy way of saying you are right... just fall back on it being future.

I could say that Chocolate will be the super food in the future (I wish) and of course I am right... just wait a few thousand years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Some Christians here say that Jesus is delaying his return "so more people can repent". What is actually the case is in 2000 years there have been millions upon millions of people born, living and dying without actually knowing of Christianity, not to mention those born in other religions who were faithful followers of said religions. Seems to me that the "second coming" was meant to increase hell's population. At least that is the result of the delay in Jesus' return.
See quote below in next post

Old 10-27-2009, 05:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You'll find that nearly every one of the atheists and agnostics on these boards have fully explored religion and found that it is hollow, lacking in substance, and very definitely wanting.

Atheists didn't "get tired" of believing. Most of us either never believed because it was just too irrational, or woke up one day and realized that it was all a crock and made no sense whatsoever to continue trying to believe in a fairy tale.
This follows on from my post above.......this is the reason why hells population increases.....people know the truth but reject it.....but ultimately God has predestined his own, he knows those who will be his. But everyone gets their own personal choice and God is the Ultimate judge. His judgement, his ways are far above ours. We will understand one day, but right now, we must make up our own mind. Personal choice, Jesus is the key, if you want to use that key, use faith......

Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Personal choice, Jesus is the key, if you want to use that key, use faith......
Thank you for being considerate enough to use the phrase "personal choice," and not automatically condemn anyone who practices a different religion, or none at all. That in itself constitutes a minority opinion in this forum, apparently. (Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with being told that I'm consigned to hell for eternity because I don't happen to worship Jesus of Nazareth).

Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times
Quote:
This follows on from my post above.......this is the reason why hells population increases.....people know the truth but reject it.....but ultimately God has predestined his own, he knows those who will be his. But everyone gets their own personal choice and God is the Ultimate judge. His judgement, his ways are far above ours. We will understand one day, but right now, we must make up our own mind. Personal choice, Jesus is the key, if you want to use that key, use faith......
If you cannot see the contradiction there...........

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Yeah, the fundies are gonna cite the old "in the eyes of the lord a thousands years is like a day...blah, blah, blah" but in reality the failure of the Second Coming to, well...come, is merely another example of Christianity not owning even a shred of proof of credibility on any of its claims, from Old Testament miracles to Jesus' or other prophets' predictions.
The real 'second coming' is going to be another Age of Enlightenment when we finally see organized religion for the superstitious cults they are and relegate them to the level of Trekkie conventions.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Talking "What if you're wrong?" and other bits of silliness....

It amazes me... people can't seem to take a giant step backwards and see this all for what it is: a stupendous scam!

What would you expect if you promised the faithful a set of heavenly goalposts? Why, given a bit of bad luck or feeling a bit depressed, they'd all toss themselves off the nearest cliff, after first stopping off at the Church to pay their respects. A quick trip to heaven!

But then, oh no...... there'd be no more folks tithing out of fear. Solution: make suicide a sin.

There. Problem fixed.

Next: God hasn't show up yet, nor has Jesus. What to do... what to do.

I know; let's make it that God says only He or Jesus will know when, and it will be in the future, so you'd better tithe up, and be quick about it.

By a few simple sleights of hand, the Church has kept innocent but illiterate people "on the hook" for literally centuries. Of a far more insidious nature is that at any point in historical time, millions hope that this will be the time of The Second Coming. That they'll get an invite to board the Golden Ship.

They frankly want Armageddon and The End Times. They foam at the mouth for it, and for the "I told you so!" patronizing finger-waggling they'll hopefully get to do as we heathens scamper frantically about the closing doors, begging for forgiveness.

And yet then they also tell us God has already determined who gets to go, and who has to stay. So what's the point of repenting again?

Talk about a vengeful lot.....

Last edited by rifleman; 10-27-2009 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: typoz

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
To quote Jack Nicholson's character in "As Good As It Gets"...

...go peddle your brand of crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibletruth View Post
yes we do need to accept Jesus, I agree, but we also need to see things in God's eyes and not our own. That would be accurate knowledge from the Bible and not man-made ideas. If i offended you in some way it was not meant to be that way. anyway if you don't believe then that's yours to keep!
Just one problem with your quote,your sacred book (Bible) it is a man-made idea,so I guess there is no accurate knowledge in it.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM

190 posts, read 242,285 times
Default The day and hour unknown

matthew 24:13
but he who stands firm to the end will be saved
matthew 24:42
therefore keep watch because u do not know on what day your Lord will come 43v but understands this if the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming he would have kept watch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One thing that always bothered me when I was in my early teens and attending church was the fact that we've been waiting two thousand years for an event to take place that the Bible seemed to suggest was supposed to happen within a human generation of the life of Jesus. Doesn't that fact by itself give any of you doubts that maybe it's just never going to happen? If civilization keeps on going for a few hundred more years and no one has seen hide nor hair of Jesus don't you think it will reach a point when people will just stop believing that the second coming is a reality? I wish I could think of the passage in the Bible that I referred to but I seem to remember that Jesus said to a group of people that they would never taste death because his return would be very soon. Maybe one of you could clarify that specific point because I don't remember the exact words but I'm curious about it and I'm wondering if this two thousand year wait doesn't shake your faith just a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality