Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times

Advertisements

When I was in TX, the state laws forced everyone to close on Sunday by making a list of items prohibited for sale on consecutive Saturdays and Sundays. They called these the "blue laws", but I think it should have been the "red Laws" Because this reeks of communism as the governemnt was legislating the barriers and workings of business. and who was behind this? The religious institution. After decades of trying, we the people finally got those laws revoked but it was not until the late 1980s. By then I had already finished college and moved far away.
It is not the position of the governement OR the church to tell a store owner when he can or cannot be open. This is Amerca. The land of the free. If A Person wants to work 7 days a week to get ahead, then let him do so.
It worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
[quote=Lamplight;17139325]Here many places are open on Sunday, but most don't open until 11am or later. It's inconvenient for us non-churchgoers, but it's understandable from the business owner's point of view. There likely wouldn't be enough customers in the morning to justify paying two or more employees to be there because most everyone in town is either at church before that, or sleeping in anyway. That makes Sunday morning an excellent time to go for a walk or bike ride, because all the people who would normally yell, honk, or throw things at you are in church.[/quote]

Really did laugh out loud at that sentence.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
In the West, Saturday and Sunday are holidays becoz that is how the establishment can force the Jewish and Christian sabbath on the populace

And this is not gonna change! And how weird that most of the rest of the world observes this too.
LOL, at "the establishment". Is this 1965?

More likely, rather than trying to force something on anyone, people keeping their sabbaths just didn't open their own businesses because they weren't working that day.

With some exceptions, most stores seem to be open on Saturdays and Sundays now.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, at "the establishment". Is this 1965?

More likely, rather than trying to force something on anyone, people keeping their sabbaths just didn't open their own businesses because they weren't working that day.

With some exceptions, most stores seem to be open on Saturdays and Sundays now.

How true!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
In the West, Saturday and Sunday are holidays becoz that is how the establishment can force the Jewish and Christian sabbath on the populace

And this is not gonna change! And how weird that most of the rest of the world observes this too.
I don't ever remember stores being closed on Saturday, only Sunday.

Sunday being the Christian Sabbath.

Blue laws were also on Sunday, not Saturday, the Christian Sabbath.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
When I was in TX, the state laws forced everyone to close on Sunday by making a list of items prohibited for sale on consecutive Saturdays and Sundays. They called these the "blue laws", but I think it should have been the "red Laws" Because this reeks of communism as the governemnt was legislating the barriers and workings of business. and who was behind this? The religious institution. After decades of trying, we the people finally got those laws revoked but it was not until the late 1980s. By then I had already finished college and moved far away.
It is not the position of the governement OR the church to tell a store owner when he can or cannot be open. This is Amerca. The land of the free. If A Person wants to work 7 days a week to get ahead, then let him do so.
It worked for me.
how dare you to air the historic follies of the Greatest Red state.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I remember when they used to have Sunday Blue Laws in PA. The local drug store was open Sunday, but they wouldn't sell you, for example, a pair of panty hose! Department stores, etc. - all closed on Sunday. The liquor stores still are closed on Sunday (hopefully they'll get those out of state control), but the beer distributors are now open (and doing a booming Sunday business). In my small town, the grocery stores only opened at noon on Sunday, which was inconvenient, but we now have a Super Walmart which is open 24/7.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I don't ever remember stores being closed on Saturday, only Sunday.

Sunday being the Christian Sabbath.

Blue laws were also on Sunday, not Saturday, the Christian Sabbath.
I used to live in a town that was 65% Jewish. There are Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed congregations there.

Some stores were closed on Saturday, simply because the owners were observant.

It was only a problem if I had a hankering for a good sandwich from my favorite kosher deli on Shabbat. There was also a good kosher/vegetarian pizza place in town that would close on Saturday. It was no big deal. They would also close for Jewish holidays.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Every Christmas since I was 16 me and my best friend (who is Jewish) have gone and eaten sushi for lunch at a beautiful place that overlooks the ocean. We spend the morning with family, lunch with each other and then back to family for the rest of the evening.

We really don't have a lot of places that are closed on Sundays where I live...but I think that's because there are Church services constantly happening so nobody 'misses out'. There's no real need to be closed on Sunday because you can go to church Sunday evening, Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, Saturday night and everywhere in between.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to live in a town that was 65% Jewish. There are Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed congregations there.

Some stores were closed on Saturday, simply because the owners were observant.

It was only a problem if I had a hankering for a good sandwich from my favorite kosher deli on Shabbat. There was also a good kosher/vegetarian pizza place in town that would close on Saturday. It was no big deal. They would also close for Jewish holidays.
I was pretty young when blue laws were in force, and back then I thought they were inforced to some how balance the disparity on the businesses. Jewish businesses were closed on Saturday, and to make it fair gov't would close all the others on Sunday, but couldn't really go that far, so they came up with the blue laws where you could buy nails but you couldn't buy a hammer, because the hammer required work, the nails didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality