Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:00 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times

Advertisements

I get emails all the time that say if you don't forward it you will be cursed and if you do you will be blessed in some way. I have to admit as annoying as these emails are to me...I forward them. I think I'm too superstitious for my own good at times...even though I really don't believe these things I still find myself knocking on wood and such.

So from a religious perspective what is your opinion of these emails and their originators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
phoney bologney...i dont even respond to them...to the e-mail....some senders might have a good intention to what the email says..but the forwarding part that ill get struck by lightning and hijacked by aliens..lol thats just junk-IMHO

Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Yes, I hate that. I will not forward them. A lot of people do send them and don't think anything about it, but I really don't like to have a perfectly good e-mail or anecdote ruined by that at the end! The ones I really hate are the ones that say something like, "If you love Jesus, you will forward this to 10 people." Give me a break!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I get emails all the time that say if you don't forward it you will be cursed and if you do you will be blessed in some way. I have to admit as annoying as these emails are to me...I forward them. I think I'm too superstitious for my own good at times...even though I really don't believe these things I still find myself knocking on wood and such.

So from a religious perspective what is your opinion of these emails and their originators?
You will have about the same chance of these bringing you a blessing as you do of Ed McMann knocking on your door with a $10,000,000 check....all of them I get, I "forward" to the trash can....
Among the things Christ set us free from are superstitions...I'd just claim that, then forget about all the junk emails and move on with life...

Bud

Old 07-10-2007, 04:31 PM

219 posts, read 717,874 times
I've never forwarded those e-mails ever and my mother had yet to die, I have yet to suffer a serious injury, I have yet to have these horrible things which they claim will happen, happen to me. Why do people write that at the end? Because most people are superstitious in one form or another.

The noted psychologist Stuart Vyse wrote some excellent works on the study of superstitions and found that it was independent from religious/spiritual and supernatural beliefs. Superstition seems to cross cultural barriers and is much like music in many respects in that in every group of humans you can find superstition which seems to connect it to some very ancient characteristic in our history possibly.

And for those who claim to suffer the consequences of the chain mails - investigation will always turn up the culprits to be self fulfilling prophecies, attributional errors, priming, perceptual distortions and even some confabulation and false memories.

So don't be afraid to delete those e-mails because they're actually just pretty annoying.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
There has been a trend of merchandising Christianity. Everyone is jumping on the band wagon. You put god's name on a product and a Christians will be standing in line to make a purchase. A smart seller can always spot a gullible market. No surprise to see junk emails for Jesus and chain letters using god to deliver a message.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

I think they're superstitious nonsense that people need to ignore. I never forward junk like that, and don't like getting it in my inbox either.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I think they're superstitious nonsense that people need to ignore. I never forward junk like that, and don't like getting it in my inbox either.
~Thats my story, an I'm stickin to it~ Agree with rob and I spam all that trash

Old 07-10-2007, 05:11 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
If I really like the email and it has a really nice message, I simply delete the ending telling people they have to forward it. If it's something stupid and trying to guilt me into forwarding the message by saying something bad will happen blah blah blah, I simply click the little delete button while rolling my eyes . Let's face it, God isn't going to punish us because we don't forward an email

Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
When I was working someone was always busy sending these chain mails instead of doing their job. Even though the company policy said that any sort of chain mail was not allowed I knew a few people who must have spent a significant amount of time sending them to everybody they knew. I would always delete them but I would usually get two or three a week. It's a total waste of time and has no religious merit whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality