Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:10 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times

Advertisements

If u r a Christian or a believer is it wrong or a sin to date or marry someone who is an unbeliever? Why or why not? I don't mean if u became a Christian after u were married and your mate does not share your faith. I mean if u r a Christian from the beginning is it okay to date people of other faiths like a Buddist or maybe even people who say they don't believe in God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 06:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Yes, it's acceptable as long as they don't sacrifice chickens or goats!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:03 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
2 Corinthians 6:14 says "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?"

It might not seem problematic in the beginning but over time, differences will begin to appear and arguments can result. I have seen it in my life and in the lives of others I have known especially when it comes to children and how to raise them. Which belief system do you follow? Which one do you raise the children by? It can and does work out sometimes but not that often.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:04 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,238 times
Sure. However it seems that the foundation of a successful relationship is a common belief (or lack there of) system. It is fun to chat with people who see the world differently, but to actually have one as my partner ......

Old 07-14-2007, 07:19 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
I think it would be extremely difficult. The bible tells us to not be unequally yoked as someone already pointed out. Is it a sin? I'm not sure about that, but I would ask you why you would even want to do that "on purpose"? As a believer when times get tough what do you do? You pray, read the Word, go to other believers...the best friend that you have should be your spouse but if you can't share those very things with him/her it drives quite the wedge between you in your marriage.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I see nothing wrong with dating outside your religion or dating someone who is a nonbeliever. As far as marriage goes?... In my experience sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to marry an unbeliever than another believer who cannot accept , or respect any other belief or opinion except his own..It can cause a lot of hurt to both.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Since dating some could lead to love and marriage and the Bible says not to be unequally yoked, I think it's better to date people of the same faith.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Since dating some could lead to love and marriage and the Bible says not to be unequally yoked, I think it's better to date people of the same faith.
I agree. If you get involved with someone, it's harder to break it off then.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree! When my husband and I met we wanted to make sure we had simular beliefs before we were officially "dating" or "courting" because we were both ready to get married. When we were dating, we wanted to stay sexually pure before we married and to do that required efforet on both our parts. If you're dating someone with different beliefs then you have, you will have to compromise your own faith along the line somewhere for the sake of the relationship. And if you fall in love...then you have a decision to make...broken heart or turning from your own convictions. Guess what usually wins?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM

41 posts, read 118,398 times
When we married, I was very confused about my beliefs.

Sometimes I felt there was a God and Higher Power, sometimes I didn't.

I was looking for proof, when I met my spouse.

My spouse had been raised in a strict Christian home, and his beliefs are that religion is to regulate the masses, and there was a Jesus, but is he God?

Now that I have found faith, I wonder how you can accept that there was a Jesus, and not believe he is God?

So to answer your question, it is hard to be unequally yoked to another, whether you share a different faith, or married to one without "real" faith.

Our teen children will only date people of their faith right now, because they feel they have more in common . . . and have certain stances regarding things the bible teaches. An answer to my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality