Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:24 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because it's Christmas and the phrase for hundreds of years was "Merry Christmas."
Ummm... no it isn't, and that is what you're missing! Do you know what else is celebrated in December & late November (the official "holiday season")?? To name a few - Thanksgiving, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Chanukah, New Year's Eve, and yes, Christmas. So you are 100% wrong, not to mention quite self-absorbed, if you think this is only a time of CHRISTMAS celebrations. If you go to a specifically Christmas party, go ahead and get annoyed by "Happy Holidays" signs... but in a public place of business, they aren't deleting Christmas - they're simply including other observances during those months.

Btw, in case you haven't noticed, they do sell cards & supplies for other holidays in most stores... so if you see even one non-Christmas holiday card, they'd be hypocrites NOT to say "Happy HOLIDAYS."

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-15-2007 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ummm... no it isn't, and that is what you're missing! Do you know what else is celebrated in December & late November (the official "holiday season")?? To name a few - Thanksgiving, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Chanukah, New Year's Eve, and yes, Christmas. So you are 100% wrong, not to mention quite self-absorbed, if you think this is only a time of CHRISTMAS celebrations. If you go to a specifically Christmas party, go ahead and get annoyed by "Happy Holidays" signs... but in a public place of business, they aren't deleting Christmas - they're simply including other observances during those months.

Btw, in case you haven't noticed, they do sell cards & supplies for other holidays in most stores... so if you see even one non-Christmas holiday card, they'd be hypocrites NOT to say "Happy HOLIDAYS."
The large majority in the U.S. are celebrating Christmas during the "holiday" season.
And they ARE deleting (or trying to delete) Christmas because now it's politically incorrect. If it wasn't, they would have been hanging the Merry Christmas signs a few years ago like they did 10 and 20 years ago.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Oh, HAPPY KWANZAA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How old is that phrase? About 30 years?

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I like that one better.
And with that silly response, you make it abundantly clear what really bothers you. Most of you Christians have absolutely no respect for other beliefs but your own little myths and fables. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you know what else is celebrated in December & late November (the official "holiday season")?? To name a few - Thanksgiving, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Chanukah, New Year's Eve, and yes, Christmas. So you are 100% wrong, not to mention quite self-absorbed, if you think this is only a time of CHRISTMAS celebrations.
You forgot the greatest holiday of the holiday season, Festivus for the rest of us! Come on, the aluminum pole, the Airing of Grievances, the Festivus dinner and finally the Feats of Strength, where can you go wrong!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You forgot the greatest holiday of the holiday season, Festivus for the rest of us! Come on, the aluminum pole, the Airing of Grievances, the Festivus dinner and finally the Feats of Strength, where can you go wrong!
LOL! Festivus. Absolutely. Great episode!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM

358 posts, read 916,526 times
Quote:
As an athiest I view Christmas as a secular holiday.
I sincerely respect your choice. However, when you make it a secular holiday, the situation becomes very difficult for Jews. If the holiday is secular, then why doesn't everybody celebrate?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
I sincerely respect your choice. However, when you make it a secular holiday, the situation becomes very difficult for Jews. If the holiday is secular, then why doesn't everybody celebrate?
Thank you!

By it being secular, separate from religion, it makes it easier for Jews and others to enjoy the holiday. But I'm not advocating for it to be secular. Just for me personally, since I don't subscribe to religion, but want my child to enjoy Santa, gifts, etc.

Christians should enjoy the birth of Christ whenever they please. Muslims, Ramadan and Jews, Chanukah, and since they all fall around the same time, why not include everyone by saying "Happy Holidays".

I know if I was a business owner I would have a "Happy Holidays" sign. Letting it be known that all are welcomed, not just one group or religion.

Anyone bothered with such trivialities has a serious problem or not enough problems.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
By it being secular, separate from religion, it makes it easier for Jews and others to enjoy the holiday.
Personally, I don't know of any Jews who want to celebrate that holiday, especially since so many Jews have been persecuted and murdered throughout the ages because they didn't convert to Christianity. To provide an analogy, it would be like you and I being pressured to celebrate Mohammed's birth.

The problem is that, we who do not worship Jesus, are put under immense pressure to celebrate the holiday if it is truly secular. We are made to feel that we are party poopers or antisocial if we don't celebrate it. And that is wrong. That's why I'm completely in favor of making Christmas a Christian holiday.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
That's why I'm completely in favor of making Christmas a Christian holiday.
Agreed. But I don't know who doesn't want to make it a Christian holiday. When we say Happy Holidays, Christmas and all others are included in the phrase.

If anything, Corporate America is guilty of making it secular.

Also, I live in NYC, which probably has the biggest Jewish population in the states, and many of my Jewish friends celebrate Christmas in addition to Chanukah. Gift giving, tree, and all. I guess it's no biggie to them.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
If anything, Corporate America is guilty of making it secular.
I agree! It is disgusting that the focus is on "how many gifts Santa is going to bring." That kind of consumerism is not good for anyone.

Quote:
Also, I live in NYC, which probably has the biggest Jewish population in the states, and many of my Jewish friends celebrate Christmas in addition to Chanukah. Gift giving, tree, and all. I guess it's no biggie to them.
They're probably either secular or else they gave in to pressure, and celebrating simply became a tradition, which I find sad. It's much easier for children, especially, to have a Santa Claus in their lives than to explain to people why they don't celebrate Christmas. Hmm, I wonder if there's ever been a poll to see if the majority of American children think the holiday is about Jesus or Santa...

Oddly enough, the people I know who get into Christmas the most are atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality