Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

Advertisements

I WHAT WAS THE GIFT OF TONGUES ?
a. What the Bible says it was?
b.What it was not

II. HOW DID ONE RECEIVE THE GIFT OF TONGUES?

III.HOW DID THE GIFT OF TONGUES FUNCTION?

IV.WHAT DID THE GIFT OF TONGUES SIGNIFY FOR THE RECIPIENT?
a.what did it mean

b.what it did not mean

V. IN SUMMARY:HOW IMPORTANT WAS THE GIFT OF TONGUES ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Paul made several points about speaking in tongues. It was a spiritual gift from God and is not a requirement of faith. Speaking in tongues was supposed to a sign to unbelievers. After speaking in tongues believers were supposed to explain what was said and give the credit to God.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I WHAT WAS THE GIFT OF TONGUES ?
a. What the Bible says it was?
b.What it was not

II. HOW DID ONE RECEIVE THE GIFT OF TONGUES?

III.HOW DID THE GIFT OF TONGUES FUNCTION?

IV.WHAT DID THE GIFT OF TONGUES SIGNIFY FOR THE RECIPIENT?
a.what did it mean

b.what it did not mean

V. IN SUMMARY:HOW IMPORTANT WAS THE GIFT OF TONGUES ?
There have been a couple of posts regarding tongues...you can do a forum search to find them. I made a reply in one of them....here's a "copy & paste" of that:

The Bible speaks of TWO distinct types of tongues, which a lot of people try to lump together, not knowing the difference. There is a LOT of controversy and confusion regarding tongues. Let's see what's in the Bible:

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

My comment: if nobody understands the tongue, then it is not a known tongue, except to God...so yes, this could be construed as a heavenly language. It is not the Holy Spirit speaking, but the person's own spirit speaking. The Holy Spirit does not need us in order to speak. This type of tongues is commonly called the "prayer language" of the spirit. It is not your mind talking, but your spirit talking.

And here's the other tongues: Acts 2
1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?

And...the GIFT of tongues: 1 Corinthians 12:10
to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues

My comment: What? Is the Bible contradicting itself? In 1Cor14 it says NOBODY understands the tongue. Yet, in Acts, EVERYBODY heard tongues plainly, in their own (earthly) language, and EVERYBODY understood! How can the Bible say nobody understands, and also say everybody understands? Is the Bible contradictary? No, it is not. It is referring to TWO seperate, different types of tongues: one is a heavenly language, known to nobody but God...because your spirit speaks mysteries to God. The second type of tongues is one of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit, given in 1 Cor 12:10. It is an utterance in a tongue that is NOT native to those in attendence, but is interpreted into the common language, either by the person who gave the tongues utterance, or by someone else in attendence. I have heard of instances of a tongues of this type, where someone from a far country was visiting, and heard the utterance in their own native language, but otherwise unknown to the rest of the congregation. There are plenty of those who argue that tongues died away with the death of the last apostle. If this is true, then why is tongues still here? Why do people from a foreign country still hear tongues utterance in their native tongue? When the person giving the utterance has never learned that language? All I have to say is with God, all things are possible.
And yes....as you might have surmised: I have experienced this myself. I recieved this in 1971, at a time when I had NEVER heard of tongues, or ANY of the common teaching about it we hear so often today. NOBODY told me about tongues, NOBODY told me about the Baptism with the Holy Spirit, NOBODY told me about a prayer language, etc, etc. So...how come I got this, without outside influence or teaching? I didn't ask for tongues (never heard of tongues to ask for it), It just came. It came to me in song...I was singing it. I do remember being in prayer at the time, but no longer remember what the prayer was...just all of a sudden I was singing, and it sure wasn't English. I remember a profound PEACE that accompanied the experience...like it extended outwards in ALL directions for hundreds of yards. That peace lasted for hours and hours. Pray until you have a genuine peace about this.

I would go back and do the forum search, then read everything that was in those posts...it's interesting. And, I would read everything in the Bible about tongues. The book of Acts, and the Epistles, have much to say about it.

Bud

Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,349 times
Bud, you explained it so beautifully and thank you for sharing your testimony. God is wonderful isn't he?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
And yes....as you might have surmised: I have experienced this myself. I recieved this in 1971, at a time when I had NEVER heard of tongues, or ANY of the common teaching about it we hear so often today. NOBODY told me about tongues, NOBODY told me about the Baptism with the Holy Spirit, NOBODY told me about a prayer language, etc, etc. So...how come I got this, without outside influence or teaching? I didn't ask for tongues (never heard of tongues to ask for it), It just came. It came to me in song...I was singing it. I do remember being in prayer at the time, but no longer remember what the prayer was...just all of a sudden I was singing, and it sure wasn't English. I remember a profound PEACE that accompanied the experience...like it extended outwards in ALL directions for hundreds of yards. That peace lasted for hours and hours. Pray until you have a genuine peace about this.
Awesome post. I personally believe that that tongues are a gift to those that believe (available to everyone) and I have and do experience it. It is an enhancement so to speak of the work already taking place by making Jesus Lord of your life.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,789 times
While I believe that gifts of tongues, healing, etc...all exist, I don't believe that they are necessarily commonly distributed through the body of Christ.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:16 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,538 times
Default I've been wanting to respond to this topic for awhile...

but after I read past thread(s), I was very disappointed in many of the responses, so I chose not to.

I have been a born again Christian for many many years (don't want to give away my tender young age ). I received my prayer language within the past 10 years, which has only been a brief time in my actual Christian walk. Only one of my closest Christian friends' actually has her "Prayer Language" like me. The rest of my close Christian friends are like many that responded in prior thread(s).

Prior to receiving my prayer language, I too never understood what 'tongues' were for, or slaying in the spirit, or laying on of hands, etc. It was all very strange and I didn't want those aspects of the Christian experience, no way, no how!!! Then one day in 1998, the Pastor at my church did a sermon on this subject and it totally made sense and sometime afterwards, I started speaking 'freely' in my new prayer language.

Here are the verses that support why I pray in the spirit:

Romans 8:26,27
26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;
27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

I Cor 14:2
2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.

I Cor 14:15
15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

Am I saying that I ONLY pray in my prayer language???! Of course not. But let me give you an example. Someone close to me is going through divorce and they and their spouse are not Christians. To me personally, the most important aspect is their lack of salvation, but this person will ask for other things kind of like a small childs' Santa Claus wishlist . Does praying that everything be PERFECT in their lives really and truly help them??? This is one of those times that I prefer to pray in the spirit so that God gives them what they really need and not some Christmas wish list !!!

Now, none of this is to say that I feel that I am better than someone else or more spiritual than someone else, because I speak in tongues, because that is FAR from the truth . I certainly cannot explain why some folks can sing beautifully, or paint, or preach, or write, or be a surgeon, or build skyscrapers, etc and why I don't seem to be gifted in any of those areas (I will ask God about the singing part when I get up there though ).

But what I am certain of, is that each of us has been given various degrees of FAITH and gifts and abilities, but MANY never use the gifts and talents they've been given (I know I'm guilty of this at times ) and many more never choose to use the FAITH they been given . Or maybe I should say they use their 'faith', but it is faith in things or people other than the one true God!

I don't agree with many Christians on this forum and that is okay. God said "They will know that we are Christians by our LOVE". Not by the car that I drive, or the home that I live in, or the church that I attend, or the color of my skin. And darn tooting, not by the fact I speak in tongues . But my prayer language is important to me in my Christian walk and I wish my fellow brothers and sisters would at the least, not be disrespectful towards those that speak in tongues (i.e prayer language), especially if it is done in private .

I end with this verse:

Heb 10:23-25
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;
24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,
25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

p.s.
I will not debate this subject with anyone. I post just to let you know my thoughts. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality