Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,504,322 times

Advertisements

If we assume that life is a continuum the concept of reincarnation would not be feasible as time is relative and energy cannot be either created or destroyed. The only plausible scenario for reincarnation to exist would be if our molecules somehow created or helped to create another life post-mortem. Yet then even this is illogical as one could not assume that molecules, cells etc that were produced in your life could not create other life forms. This would create some form of simultaneous existence.
Therefore, I vote for no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:30 PM

668 posts, read 677,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Blue's open minded and full of questions ,Wisteria and Trebek..I have read some about reincarnation when I was young and ever searching other beliefs ..Do all or some of reincarnationists believe that your soul may be trapped in an animal or even an inanimate object for a lifetime or two? Trebek, I will read that "short" version in a minute, have to wait on the coffee, and check the supper. One more general obsvervation.IMO.... Just because a person has an open and inquisitive mind does not mean that their faith in their belief is up for grabs.. I am sure beyond a reasonable doubt about what I believe in, and why. And that is exactly what I like to know about other people
I really don't know about the animal issue, I know many people probably do believe that. I would recommend the even shorter version on my Hinduism thread.

My faith is been unchanged for 25 years and is not up for grabs.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM

45 posts, read 153,422 times
Hi Trebek...I would just like to share that I believe that I lived before..I cant prove it.However I Believe I had-it-made. This time around...I learned a deep sense of Appreciation for all that I have...Yes i've had alot of struggles but who hasn't....Came close to being a ragpicker...Far as I'm concerned...Many more Lessons to learn...Not just in this lifetime but the next one too...Thats all I wanted to share....

Old 07-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy View Post
Hi Trebek...I would just like to share that I believe that I lived before..I cant prove it.However I Believe I had-it-made. This time around...I learned a deep sense of Appreciation for all that I have...Yes i've had alot of struggles but who hasn't....Came close to being a ragpicker...Far as I'm concerned...Many more Lessons to learn...Not just in this lifetime but the next one too...Thats all I wanted to share....
Thanks, nice to know I'm not all alone on this point.

Now behave yourself and help others the rest of this lifetime!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:46 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,274,280 times
I do not believe in reincarnation. This allows a person to believe they get a second chance, there aren't enough chances and even if there were we'd still miss the mark. God knew we needed a Savior not a guru with nice sounding words to give a warm fuzzy feeling.
When Jesus was dying on the cross He didn't say to the thief who believed in Him with his last breath, don't worry, you'll get another chance.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I do not believe in reincarnation. This allows a person to believe they get a second chance, there aren't enough chances and even if there were we'd still miss the mark. God knew we needed a Savior not a guru with nice sounding words to give a warm fuzzy feeling.

Guru? What u talkin' about ILNC?

I don't make fun of your beliefs.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,425,540 times
Quote:
When Jesus was dying on the cross He didn't say to the thief who believed in Him with his last breath, don't worry, you'll get another chance.
LOL This is exactly why I love ILNC. I hope to one day have gained her faith and her bible knowledge.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,770,869 times
Quote:
ILNC:....reincarnation. This allows a person to believe they get a second chance, there aren't enough chances and even if there were we'd still miss the mark. God knew we needed a Savior not a guru with nice sounding words to give a warm fuzzy feeling.
The point is not a "second chance," because your "second chance," could be quite dreadful, theoretically speaking. Your "second chance" would most likely include all the horrible things you did to others.....

Quote:
Blue62: Do all or some of reincarnationists believe that your soul may be trapped in an animal or even an inanimate object for a lifetime or two?
Hi, Blue! In my post above, I explain that "transmigration" (sorry, I think I accidentally used the word transmutation) is about the animal thing, whereas reincarnation, proper, is person to person. (Hey, maybe we could switch next time! )

It's a complex religious concept and does take quite a bit of study. There is a good book by Ian Stevenson, "Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation," which is quite impressively filled with fascinating examples. In the book, there are many, many detailed accounts, all backed with confirmation. Here is a little excerpt from his site (he has since gone on...supposedly to another life! ) (It's actually a fascinating topic.):

In many parts of the world, some young children, usually between the ages of 2 and 5, speak about a previous life they claim to have lived. At the same time they often show behavior, such as a phobia, that is unusual in their family and/or not explained by any current life events but that seems concordant with the child's statements about a previous life. In many cases of this type the child's statements have been shown to correspond accurately to facts in the life and death of a deceased person; in many of these cases the families concerned have had no contact before the case developed. Some of the children have birthmarks and birth defects that correspond to wounds or other marks on the deceased person whose life a child remembers.

Types of Statements a Child Might Make in This Kind of Case

Statements made by a child who seems to be remembering a previous life can be quite varied. The following is not an exhaustive list by any means. It is designed to give an idea of the kinds of things a parent or caregiver might hear, and in our Western culture, tend to dismiss as fantasy. It is also true that a child might say one or more of these things and not be remembering a previous life. It is probably best not to pump a child for information, nor to try and prevent him or her from saying such things.

"You're not my mommy/daddy."
"I have another mommy/daddy."
"When I was big, I ...(used to have blue eyes/had a car, etc.)."
"That happened before I was in mommy's tummy."
"I have a wife/husband/children."
"I used to...(drive a truck/live in another town, etc.)"
"I died ... (in a car accident/after I fell, etc.)"
"Remember when I ...(lived in that other house/was your daddy, etc.)"

Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,274,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Guru? What u talkin' about ILNC?

I don't make fun of your beliefs.
Sorry Trebek, I was not making fun of your beliefs, it's just a word I used.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry Trebek, I was not making fun of your beliefs, it's just a word I used.
No problems. Sorry i brought it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality