Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times

Advertisements

It seems believers suffer with sickness and health problems almost as much as anyone else. Why? Didn't Jesus PAY for our healing on the cross? (He did)

Isaiah 53:5 "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed"

If this is so, then why are so many sick and suffering? I believe ONE of the keys is that even though the healing is "in the bank", you gotta go get it...it's (usually) not an automatic thing. More often than not, it's just not enough to believe that it is there...you have a part to do. What part? Remember...the Bible says that faith without works is dead (a faith that, although believing, accomplishes very little, or nothing)
So, if you believe that Jesus provided for healing, what can YOU do to add works to your faith? What can you do to make sure your faith is not dead? I believe it is EXTREMELY important WHAT you say. When Goliath challenged the children of God, did David say "Oh....I don't know if it is God's will...maybe God wants Goliath to destroy us...he is so big and powerful...I don't know if I can do it....I'm so weak...I'm too small...maybe I don't have the right weapon...maybe God doesn't want me to...", etc, etc. No, he said outloud (repeatedly) what he would do to Goliath. (READ 1 Samuel 17)
Were David's words important? Well, here's what Jesus said:
Mark 11:23
"For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith"

Is there a mountain in your life?

It is like a spiritual law: you will get exactly what you believe and say. (it takes both, usually) Unfortunately, it will work just as well in "reverse" as for the positive. For example, if you keep saying to yourself "Oh...I think I am coming down with a cold..." when a cold symtom first appears....don't be surprised if that isn't exactly what you get. It is a law God made; He isn't going to change it, so if we are to accomplish anything we need to change ourselves (believe first, then add works)...we need to agree with Him. You can CHOOSE to believe what the Bible says, in SPITE of what your body is saying to you. Rule over your body, and the old nature. You might say something like this: "Yes, my body feels that pain, but I CHOOSE to believe that with Jesus' stripes I WAS healed! With His stripes, I believe I have healing, and I believe I HAVE that healing right now, because the Word of God says so. (The enemy can't accuse you of lying for anything you BELIEVE) Devil, you are a liar with that cough and runny nose! So, both you and it leave right now, in Jesus' name!" Be careful you don't say anything that isn't true, like "the pain isn't there". We just agree with God, with what the Bible says. When faith and works combine together, ANY Goliath will fall...
Is there a Goliath in your life? (Doesn't have to be sickness....could be any big problem). Then watch carefully what you SAY. You can CHOOSE to believe, and you can CHOOSE what you say...

Don't know why I got on this soapbox this morning....

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
If God created the world, he also created the bacteria and viriuses. He designed bones that broke and brains that developed Alzheimers Disease. He made it possible for cancers to develop and arteries to collect plaque. Is He also responsible for the babies that are born with serious defects?

Did He do all of that just to bring us closer to Him?

Last edited by Padgett2; 07-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: typing error

Old 07-20-2007, 12:10 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
We live in a fallen world, that is why we have all that suffering, if you want someone to blame, try satan.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
I thought that God created ALL things. That would include bacteria and viruses.

Are you saying that when an innocent toddler falls and breaks an arm or knocks out a tooth, it's Satan's doing?

Or when the same innocent toddler catches measles and dies from complications, it's Satan's doing?

Why? Did God not love the little innocent? What is God proving by this type of action?

Last edited by Padgett2; 07-20-2007 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I thought that God created ALL things. That would include bacteria and viruses.

Are you saying that when an innocent toddler falls and breaks an arm or knocks out a tooth, it's Satan's doing?

Or when the same innocent toddler catches measles and dies from complications, it's Satan's doing?

Why? Did God not love the little innocent? What is God proving by this type of action?
I don't know that I look at it that specifically. I agree with what ILNC said. We do exist in a fallen world. I think this is kind of like saying the world is operating under a curse. Nothing is as it was originally created to be. The book of Romans speaks of creation still awaiting redemption (at the 2nd coming of Christ) when there will be full restoration of all things. I think in the meantime as Jesus said the rain does fall on the righteous and unrighteous. But, as Bud posted, we do have the hope of healing in Christ, and I think we should confidently ask for and believe for healing when we need it.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
the bible also says it rains on the just and the unjust. I dont think all things that happen are a direct result of the devil or God. like posted above, we live in a fallen world and sometimes, bad things happen to good people, as well as bad people.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 PM

564 posts, read 1,901,503 times
God could not do anything but create all things, imo. As with many things, there are good and bad bacteria, and even viruses may cause "good" by killing a foe or villain.

As most Christians could tell you, where we live is no Garden of Eden. We are not protected by God. We are allowed to live from extremes between suffering and ecstasy. We are allowed to love and to hate. To create and destroy. To not allow a person to kill another would be to take away our freewill. Without freewill, how could we choose between good and evil? We would all be forced into being good. From this what lessons can be learned?

My mind is wandering a bit, I hope I'm making a smattering of sense.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times
I agree with u Bud the words we speak are important. It is hard to claim in faith the healing power of God and still talk about how bad the sickeness or condition is. The words we speak about any given situation can make or break us. Here r a few scriptures from the book of Proverbs concerning the words of our mouth:
6:2 "Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth."
10:11 "The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life..."
12:18 "There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health."
18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."
21:23 "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

Old 07-20-2007, 01:36 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times
I think that in the world you will have tribulation, but the Bible says to be of good cheer because He has overcome the world.

We live on this earth, unfortunately. This life is truly a vapor and when we get to heaven I really wonder if we will look back and shake our heads at the things we worried about on earth. There will be no more sickness or death in heaven and I welcome that day.

I have a problem with "claiming" things. It seems very selfish to me to tell God what to do. (and many times those who "claim things" are asking for very selfish gain IMHO). God is God and he can do as he wills.....that does not mean that I would not pray without ceasing if my child were sick, and that I would not pray FOR healing.

I also think that many believers take these verses as their main theme of life. Guess what? I did not believe that I would get the school of choice that I wanted to teach in. I even spoke negativly about it (ie: Oh, I won't get it I am sure.) But today I found out that I indeed DID get the school of my choice. God is faithful even when we are not.

Dawn

Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,037,163 times
Why would Paul tell Timothy to drink wine for his frequent illnesses and stomach problems rather than claiming healing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality