U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,035,911 times

Advertisements

I think you should dress how you would dress if you were invited over to friends for dinner. If you normally go to friends dressed like a slob, and dress like a slob to church, then at least you're consistent. I think God scores highly for consistency (and accuracy).

Our parish is pretty casual. Many people wear shorts in the Summer if it's over 80 (nice khaki shorts etc.).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,780,801 times
KayKay, I rather agree with you.

I'm really ok, however, on casual dress...to a point. And I'm comfortable wearing dresses or pants to church, many women wear pants. And many men wear jeans and short sleeved shirts. I've only seen a couple of men in shorts and no women in the church I now attend. I did kinda freak out at another church the first time I saw a woman come into the sanctuary with shorts and a tank top. Ok, maybe I tend to be more traditional!!

I think the majority wear "Sunday" clothes. However, this is high summer in Florida so our church has this tradition -- "July, no tie." And that goes for August too. So only a few of the men wear ties right now. Our pastor said well, if no tie, that means no jacket either. So I see far more casually dressed men now in church than a couple of months ago.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,810,277 times
Well I guess I'm going against the grain here but I think a person should dress there best for church. I think it is a sign of respect for worshipping the Lord. Now ofcourse if what your "best" is is only jeans and a t shirt then by all means. It is sad when people judge you on your appearance.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,269,054 times
We just visited a church where we felt so uncomfortable in. Everyone seemed to be dressed too trendy. The musicans and pastor much older wearing clothes that teens would wear but not really. Get it? The pastor had jeans on with holes perfectly over his knees and yet his jeaned were perfectly starched. I saw a lady who was part of the worship team maybe her mid 40's wearing a long baby doll dress with ruffled short sleeves and a pair of tights. Now I am not against anyone wanting to wear them, it just looked funny seeing older people like myself wear things that preteen girls like my daughter wears. It looked like she shopped at Justice or Limited Too. It even seemed uncool on some of them because many teens don't even wear what they thought was cool. Ever hear too hip to be cool? It was really like that.
Anyway at least I can say they put the effort into the clothes to create a rock enviroment. That church is really geared for people in their teens and 20's and more felt like a rock concert. It had smoke, the lights were out with a few light effects & spot lights. My daughter would have loved it( away at camp) but we really want to find a church with a more traditional feel to it. I never seen so many people too that went through the door wearing very trendy clothes and I saw some men with those shirts that someone on here asked where they could get a shirt with embroidery on. Mom said they wear them all the time at dallas stars games and around town with their shirts tucked out, designer jeans and loafers. OMgoodness tons of those guys and they had tons of hair that almost looked like mullets. I just saw no balance. Had to share that with you. LOL. I do btw wish them well and am glad they are reaching out to people in a different way, reaching someone with whom might not be reachable otherwise.
For me, I do like having casual options as well as it being acceptable to wear nicer dresser things. It is nice if it is all acceptable. When we attended in Florida, there were children who went to church that had holes in their clothes, wore clothes too small, no socks and sometimes borrowed shoes, one boy I knew had to wear his sisters pink flip flops. No one cared what they wore, they cared about them coming. They went on a regular basis and picked them up. There was so much poverty I saw down where I use to live and it completely changed me on my views on what we should wear to church. It shouldn't matter.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 PM

740 posts, read 1,891,436 times
The church that I grew up in I had to wear a dress... Because that was the pastor's preference.. or he took a certain vs.. out of context. That was hard for me because I didn't own that many dresses being the tom boy that I was.

The church that we go to now there are some that dress up.. and there are some that come in jeans... whatever your best is.. as long as you come with a heart ready to worship!

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,930 times
I had this same conversation with a neighbor recently! She said she dresses with the idea that what she's wearing is appropriate to meet God in.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 PM

743 posts, read 2,113,563 times
A priest once preached on this very topic.....his take on it was....how would you dress...if...?

1) You were invited to the White House?
2) you were going to see the Pope?
2) You were going to dinner w/ any significant state, religous, political or famous person?

Here, he said (pertinent to catholics,mainly)..... in this church, Jesus Christ Himself is present, Body, blood, soul and divinity in the Eucharist.....and you choose to wear your soccer uniform? (the travel/select soccer teams in our area have their games on Sunday)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,162,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
A priest once preached on this very topic.....his take on it was....how would you dress...if...?

1) You were invited to the White House?
2) you were going to see the Pope?
2) You were going to dinner w/ any significant state, religous, political or famous person?

Here, he said (pertinent to catholics,mainly)..... in this church, Jesus Christ Himself is present, Body, blood, soul and divinity in the Eucharist.....and you choose to wear your soccer uniform? (the travel/select soccer teams in our area have their games on Sunday)
I think I'd like your priest!

I was going to say... Isn't it interesting that the people who wear torn jeans and shorts to church are the same ones that will dress up for an important business meeting or to attend a wedding? Who is it that deserves our respect? However, I do agree that if torn jeans are the best a person has, that's very acceptable. Christians don't necessarily have to dress in their best, but all should dress with modesty and decorum and should make an extra effort for church.

My daughter said it's a matter of attitude. I'm a firm believer that our clothing choices reflect our attitude. When I consider the churches I've attended regularly, the ones where the people dressed nicely (not to the nines!) had a higher degree of Biblical scholarship, service towards others, and mature Christians than the ones that emphasized casual attire. Outsiders (no matter how they were dressed) were also more readily embraced by the "nicely dressed" churches. I realize that might not be true everywhere, but it is definitely true in my experience.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,300,033 times
I go to a non-denominational church and you can wear jeans in there if you want and you can wear skirts, but not too too short though. It's no issue where I go.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 AM

18,434 posts, read 30,814,822 times
At my church, different people dress different ways, but we all are accepted to come as we are, we are ALL Lords children, welcome with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or