U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

2,637 posts, read 6,177,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
No our church is VERY casual. In fact, we have a lot of people from broken homes or recovering from drug addiction who don't have much yet feel very welcome at our church. I think dressing nice is ok if that is what you want to do, but I don't think it should be a requirement because it can be a barrier keeping some from attending.
I agree. There are many people out there who can't afford suits or nice skirts or dresses and I think that they'd be put off going to a Church if the whole of the rest of the congregation was wearing really smart clothing. That's not to say that the Lord would judge them differently but they could feel a little uncomfortable about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM

1,438 posts, read 3,603,562 times
I can't imagine God being upset with someone for coming to Church in casual clothes. He seems good at meeting people where they are.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,300,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I can't imagine God being upset with someone for coming to Church in casual clothes. He seems good at meeting people where they are.
I totally agree with you there!! It shouldn't matter what you wear, as long as you believe He is your Savior and you believe in everything He does. That's what counts, not what you wear.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM

554 posts, read 2,073,428 times
I hate dresses. Yeah I wore a nice formal dress to my daughter's wedding, but that was an exception. I wear to church what I am comfortable in, nice slacks and a blouse. I wouldn't wear beach attire to church, but I think casual is perfectly fine for most church services. It seems to me that dressing up for Sunday services is a tradition, not a Biblical command. It is refreshing to see the Church of today break tradition and let the Spirit guide people's hearts, and not a man's opinion.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,848,447 times
The Bible does not say we should dress up. That's a custom handed down to show respect for God so to speak. I think there are some styles that are acceptable and some that are not.

"My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?" (James 2:1-4)

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,797,472 times
Should Pastors And Deacons Dress Up For Sunday Services?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,569,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Should Pastors And Deacons Dress Up For Sunday Services?
IMO, religious figures should dress up at least a little for their job since the services are part of their job description. I don't see it as in any biblical sense a need to, but more in a professional sense like my husband wearing a dress shirt and slacks for his job.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,848,447 times
So John the baptist, Jesus, the Apostles, Paul, et. al. should have "dressed up"? If a man of God is speaking the truth we should be listening to that instead of worrying about what he's wearing.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,231,872 times
At church, our Pastor encourages people to come to church.

If dressing up is a problem, or a financial burden, just come as you are.

Most people though, dress is dressy casual, cotton dresses, khaki's and a nice shirt, jean skirts, etc.

Some just go in jeans, most do not wear shorts.

Because we are now a one-income family, and we moved from FL, this winter I didn't have many dress casual winter clothes, and I went in jeans and a sweater with sneakers, but always was accepted.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,658,195 times
Our dress is casual, but you always have a few that have to wear "only the best" and hope someone will notice and make a comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or