U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,278,161 times

Advertisements

This is a touchy subject for me, (more so, when I still went to church). When I was a kid, one church we attended insisted that females should wear nothing but dresses, all the time, even outside of church. Working in the outdoors a great deal of the time, with horses and cows, this didn't make much sense, and my folks got into fights about it, because my dad started to get into this nonsense. Needless to say, my mother told my father to take a flying leap!

Fast forward a few years later. I was attending a little church, with my daughter, who was a young toddler at the time. On Sundays, I wore a skirt and blouse, but on Wednesday nights, I wore nice slacks, (not jeans, mind you, slacks. I felt this made more sense, because my husband worked 2nd shift, and I had to drive by myself. Figured if I had a flat tire, it would be a heck of alot easier to change, dressed in pants, instead of a dress), and I was actually pulled to one side one Wed. evening, after services, by the pastor, who asked me not to wear my slacks, because the older ladies in the church were offended! Because I was young, (about 21 or 22 at the time), and somewhat unsure of myself, and had been taught all of my growing-up years, to be respectful to my elders, I didn't tell the old cats what I thought of such judging on their part. I simply stopped going to that church. I sure wish I had had the nerve to really tell them what I thought. I would now!

But, after that incident, I did learn to wear what I wanted. Another church I went to, some years later, I wore skirts on Sunday mornings, but they were Western-style denim, complete with conchos, and a pair of cowboy boots. And, on Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights I wore jeans and boots, or tennis shoes. I know some folks weren't pleased with my clothing choices, but by then I didn't give a flip, and I would have told them off, had they been so bold as to tell me what they thought. Fortunately for them, either they were too polite, or I was giving off enough of an attitude, that they didn't go there.

I believe one should be reasonably respectful in a place of worship, and not wear sexually revealing clothing, or clothing with nasty words, etc., on them, but casual clothing, in and of itself, does not bother me, and I seriously doubt that it bothers God, either. I have no patience with the attitude that some folks put out there, that you're not quite good enough for God, the church, and especially them, if you don't dress to the nines. I believe that our Creator is interested in our heart, not our garments!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,707,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
This is a touchy subject for me, (more so, when I still went to church). When I was a kid, one church we attended insisted that females should wear nothing but dresses, all the time, even outside of church. Working in the outdoors a great deal of the time, with horses and cows, this didn't make much sense, and my folks got into fights about it, because my dad started to get into this nonsense. Needless to say, my mother told my father to take a flying leap!

Fast forward a few years later. I was attending a little church, with my daughter, who was a young toddler at the time. On Sundays, I wore a skirt and blouse, but on Wednesday nights, I wore nice slacks, (not jeans, mind you, slacks. I felt this made more sense, because my husband worked 2nd shift, and I had to drive by myself. Figured if I had a flat tire, it would be a heck of alot easier to change, dressed in pants, instead of a dress), and I was actually pulled to one side one Wed. evening, after services, by the pastor, who asked me not to wear my slacks, because the older ladies in the church were offended! Because I was young, (about 21 or 22 at the time), and somewhat unsure of myself, and had been taught all of my growing-up years, to be respectful to my elders, I didn't tell the old cats what I thought of such judging on their part. I simply stopped going to that church. I sure wish I had had the nerve to really tell them what I thought. I would now!

But, after that incident, I did learn to wear what I wanted. Another church I went to, some years later, I wore skirts on Sunday mornings, but they were Western-style denim, complete with conchos, and a pair of cowboy boots. And, on Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights I wore jeans and boots, or tennis shoes. I know some folks weren't pleased with my clothing choices, but by then I didn't give a flip, and I would have told them off, had they been so bold as to tell me what they thought. Fortunately for them, either they were too polite, or I was giving off enough of an attitude, that they didn't go there.

I believe one should be reasonably respectful in a place of worship, and not wear sexually revealing clothing, or clothing with nasty words, etc., on them, but casual clothing, in and of itself, does not bother me, and I seriously doubt that it bothers God, either. I have no patience with the attitude that some folks put out there, that you're not quite good enough for God, the church, and especially them, if you don't dress to the nines. I believe that our Creator is interested in our heart, not our garments!
Totally understand and agree 100%!! My Grandma had the same thing happen years ago (for wearing a dress with sleeves that went above her elbows during the Mojave desert summer ) in a Pentacostal denom and she never returned to church. She still served God and stayed the same sweet woman, but she had enough of the gossip and backbiting.

God doesn't care if we are wearing jeans to church. Period. Anyone who thinks otherwise is hung up on religious tradition, akin to the Pharisees...and we know what Jesus told them!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:58 PM

24,913 posts, read 35,574,256 times
for me i since i moved to my current church i've only dresseed up twice. once for my 1st time and this past easter. i'd say it was about 50/50 on who dresses up and who dont.

as long as your trying to connect with god, he could care less whether you are in a stacey adams suit or a white tee with rocawear jeans.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 12,086 times
Dressing up on the Lord's Day????? Ok, let me start off by saying every single day that we open our eyes is the Lord's day! Church has become a fashion show, a social gathering, a gossip building and the list goes on and on. I grew up in church and my mother always wore fancy suits with matching hats. I never saw the point in being so fancy for a few hours. Now that I am grown, I don't go to church because I feel as though the church is not what it should be. Yes, come as you are can be taken in so many different directions. What you wear does not stop your blessings so if you decide to wear jeans and sneakers, do it. Just remember, sister sheila and bishop jackson will be talking about you tonight on the gossip hotline

Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM

64,753 posts, read 61,044,230 times
People at my church wear everything from dresses and suits to jeans. Nobody cares. Nobody should.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM

360 posts, read 410,148 times
It recommends that people wear nice clothes. As usual, no one listens to the priest.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,656,502 times
Cool me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
My vote is for the casual attire, come as you are approach....formal "dressing up" was always a huge turn-off to me, and a big reason I never went to some churches. I want to see the real person, not the white-washed version...

Bud
I loved Church and Bible study when I was young, but all I can basically remember about sitting in Church with my family was feeling 'stuffed' into my suit and strangled by my tie and getting thumped in the head by my father if I wasn't sitting up straight...omg, who could think straight w/that horrible black tie choking me. I couldn't concentrate on anything but freaking out. Oh...sorry 'bout that...lol
Koale

Last edited by Koale; 12-27-2010 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,929,121 times
Do you believe your god only looks at his flock on Sunday? Ya'all go about this all seeing, all knowing god, which means he sees you in the shower, making love, sitting on the can, making love solo version, and everything else.

Certainly going to church is not an exercise in vanity and the dress is for the rest of the congregation, though I bet it can provide plenty of material for the busy body gossip crowd.

OMG!!!!! did you see what she wore last Sunday?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM

360 posts, read 410,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you believe your god only looks at his flock on Sunday? Ya'all go about this all seeing, all knowing god, which means he sees you in the shower, making love, sitting on the can, making love solo version, and everything else.

Certainly going to church is not an exercise in vanity and the dress is for the rest of the congregation, though I bet it can provide plenty of material for the busy body gossip crowd.

OMG!!!!! did you see what she wore last Sunday?
I doubt anyone believes that, but most churches I've seen teach that the building is the "house of God" like the Jews believed the Temple was, so if you were going to be a guest there, you should look nice.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 10,665,943 times
Why should God care how we dress? The point is to worship, not a fashion show. I dress for comfort when I do go. Jeans, and a nice shirt. I hate wearing ties, and our dress code at work is pretty relaxed, so why should I dress up for church if I don't dress up for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or