Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times

Advertisements

Update: Still searching for primary resources. I may (gasp!) have to go to one of those old-fashioned libraries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times
As a child and adult I did celebrate Halloween. No more though. It's just another day in our house and it is most definitely not taking away from my kids. I think putting it into perspective it is important to understand its origins. I mean really, you're going to celebrate something you don't understand? Why wouldn't you research something like this or anything else you do? Sounds a lot like "well everyone else is doing it so it must be ok."

Reading through some of the posts, and scanning others there is truly only one thing that comes to my mind. There is a verse in the Bible that says: My people are destroyed for their lack of knowledge. I believe it's in Hosea, and while it's not in context to this thread, I believe that we all need to be wise and up on things of this world.

What will you say when you stand before God and say "well I didn't know that." What do you think his answer is going to be? Maybe, " I gave you the resources to research and I put people in your life to teach you, but you chose to turn a blind eye because why? Because everyone else was doing it? Well "everyone" is not standing here with you right now."

Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I mean really, you're going to celebrate something you don't understand? Why wouldn't you research something like this or anything else you do? Sounds a lot like "well everyone else is doing it so it must be ok."
We're not celebrating anything. We are dressing up for the fun of it and getting candy for the kiddos.

Quote:
Reading through some of the posts, and scanning others there is truly only one thing that comes to my mind. There is a verse in the Bible that says: My people are destroyed for their lack of knowledge. I believe it's in Hosea, and while it's not in context to this thread, I believe that we all need to be wise and up on things of this world.
So having fun on October 31st brings destruction?

Quote:
What will you say when you stand before God and say "well I didn't know that." What do you think his answer is going to be? Maybe, " I gave you the resources to research and I put people in your life to teach you, but you chose to turn a blind eye because why? Because everyone else was doing it? Well "everyone" is not standing here with you right now."
God is going to punish us for trick or treating? I just don't see why God would feel negatively towards something so innocent as children eating candy and dressing up.

IMO, Hoosier, to follow this train of thought we might as well throw Christmas out the window too. It's really based more on pagan traditions than anything.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
As a child and adult I did celebrate Halloween. No more though.
Why? Just curious.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
Because in Pasadena, CA, where we lived up until 2 years ago, every November 1st they found all sorts of ritual left overs in the Mountains. Mostly animal stuff and hexagrams nearby, but they have found a couple of bodies in the years I have been there.

Because I taught high school students who were into witchcraft who would tell me stories of how Halloween was their "most" important day.

Because Satan is alive and well and we should not be messing with anything he has to offer. We have been commanded not to mess with it.

For most people halloween is about cute costumes and candy, but there is another side.

Dawn

Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
Um, Haunted Mansion, Disneyland?

"Hurry ba-ack, hurry ba-ak, we've been dying to have you. Don't forget to bring your death certificate, should you decide to join us."

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I am a big Halloween fan.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:35 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times
Halloween is really fun for kids and I don't think there are too many emergency rooms filled with children who've become possessed by satanic forces. I really think this is one of those issues that sound rather foolish and I honestly think they tarnish the reputation of religion in general. I sort of understand where people are coming from when they talk about evil influences but a bunch of kids getting dressed up in crazy costumes is what makes childhood fun. I really think Christians should take a more lighthearted approach to Halloween.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:47 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
...I really think Christians should take a more lighthearted approach to Halloween.
Well we're not going to. The subtlety is that there is an underlying evil spiritual dimension to it. Many don't see, or choose not to recognize it, but it's there none the less. What edification secular or spiritual can come from endorsing this stupid holiday? Think for a moment, children all over the United States on a day (October 31st none the less check out that dates significance) dresses up (being hypercritical see the real definition of that word) in mostly grotesque outfits running around at night. Why at night? Why not during the day? It's teaching our children to embrace grotesqueness, ugliness, evil, etc. It is a "trick" (pardon the pun) of satan to get people used to evil to embrace it as "cool" so that when the real horror comes you wont know what hit you.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:00 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times
Marks wrote:
Quote:
Well we're not going to. The subtlety is that there is an underlying evil spiritual dimension to it.
I do think I understand what you're saying Marks, it's just that when you're a kid it's fun to be scared but know that you're really safe, if that makes any sense. It's like a bunch of people sitting around a campfire telling ghost stories. It's not like an actual ghost is going to swoop down and grab somebody, it's just about people having a little fun by letting their imaginations run wild. I really think it's completely harmless and part of growing up. The only bad experience I had one Halloween was when an adult caught me trying to soap a window (remember, kids would take a bar of soap and scribble on a window pane?). Anyway, that guy threw my bar of soap so far it must have landed a block away and then we all ran off. It's just childhood and nothing to be concerned about.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
According to a quick search I did, Halloween has both Celtic & Roman Catholic origins... so no, I don't understand why some Christians think it's "evil" witchcraft! Guess it's all the modern symbols we associate with it, like witch outfits, ghosts, goblins, and so forth. It also celebrated the dead, so that could make them a bit nervous - LOL.

Lesson Plan - Halloween (history)
Halloween -- The History and Customs of Halloween
The website you sent us to is talking about a sun god not the one and only God that true Christians worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality