Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:33 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why? Just curious.

Because so many people choose to dress up in scary costumes and I do not want to expose my children to that. We did do Halloween one year when our daughter was two years old. A kid with a "Jason" mask that starts bleeding at the eyes came to our door. Yep we do our best to not allow our kids to watch certain shows and especially around Halloween time, but then we allow trick-or-treaters to come to our door and scare the crud out of our kids. Uh, nope! Not happenin'.

Many parents allow their kids to wear whatever they want...and while that is completely their choice, I choose to not allow my kids or myself to be exposed to that garbage. Some may call it fun and sure getting candy is fun, but not when you have to walk by ghouls and spider webs that scare you to pieces...which is the intent anyway.

Why is it that people who do not like Halloween voice their opinion and then are jumped on as killjoys? Or that we're taking the fun out of it for everyone else. Please! I am merely expressing my opinion and thus I'm some fanatical Chrsitian. woohoo. yah right buddy. I'm a dad who cares about the sensitivity his kids has and I don't want them to be scared and me and my wife be up for a week or so dealing with nightmares.

We buy them lots of candy and hide candy around the house, kinda like Easter. We also make sure they go and do the party and games at our church too. Our kids have chosen to not dress up by their own free will. We have allowed them to dress up in fun costumes but they do not like the entire thing anyway.

See when I was a kid Halloween was a huge deal and my mom would dress up as Dracula and scare the crud out of kids at the front door. Yeah, funny! I have never found that type of humor funny and so I don't fit real well into that family. And I've always dealt with people who think I'm no fun or I'm too serious because I don't like Halloween or other things that I am "supposed" to like because everyone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM

668 posts, read 681,621 times
Can you take them to a Halloween church function?
I did that as a teenager and it was a lot of fun.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Can you take them to a Halloween church function?
I did that as a teenager and it was a lot of fun.

Oh yeah most definitely. Our church has a dunk tank, one of those big air-filled jumpers that kids of all ages love. many rooms have games where the kids can win candy and little toys. There are hot dogs, sodas and other fun foods to eat. Then everyone traipses off to the sanctuary for a short movie or skit and then all the kids get a bag 'o candy! It is actually quite fun. I believe that when they get older we'll offer to have kids over for a non-scary party.

We did live in Orlando for a year and Halloween is out of control down there. I know one poster had mentioned Mickey's not-so-scary halloween. But it actually is a bit scary for the little kids. I think Universal Orlando has the scariest stuff around. Billboards and everywhere you turn it's Halloween this and Haloween that! It was quite overdone IMO.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Um, Haunted Mansion, Disneyland?

"Hurry ba-ack, hurry ba-ak, we've been dying to have you. Don't forget to bring your death certificate, should you decide to join us."

Dawn
No, but you're close.
Those are photos from the Hallowed Haunting Grounds, a private yard haunt in Studio City, Calif. which ran from 1973-2005.

The show was modeled after Disneyland's Haunted Mansion and it was very well done.
More about it as we get closer to Halloween, but here is a link to the website:
Hallowed Haunting Grounds

Old 07-21-2007, 11:47 PM

668 posts, read 681,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Oh yeah most definitely. Our church has a dunk tank, one of those big air-filled jumpers that kids of all ages love. many rooms have games where the kids can win candy and little toys. There are hot dogs, sodas and other fun foods to eat. Then everyone traipses off to the sanctuary for a short movie or skit and then all the kids get a bag 'o candy! It is actually quite fun. I believe that when they get older we'll offer to have kids over for a non-scary party.

We did live in Orlando for a year and Halloween is out of control down there. I know one poster had mentioned Mickey's not-so-scary halloween. But it actually is a bit scary for the little kids. I think Universal Orlando has the scariest stuff around. Billboards and everywhere you turn it's Halloween this and Haloween that! It was quite overdone IMO.
Kids like that sort of thing as well as trick or treating. I was always a trick or treater and enjoyed the church parties even more. Its the folks who refuse to allow their kids to celebrate halloween at all who are making their kids feel like misfits.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Everyday is Halloween here. My five year old is always in a costume. Sometimes he's spiderman, batman, zorro, etc. But my favorites are when he combines what he likes best from each of the costumes and is a hybrid of them all together. I think he will be an actor when he grows up because when he is in character he goes really deep into it and will not even answer to his name...but that's ok if he becomes a big movie star he'll be able to pay for his own therapy.

As for the real Halloween day. My kids go out in the immediate neighborhood and we check everything when they come home. Before we got to know the neighbors a bit I used to just dump their candy and refill their baskets with stuff I bought...I know too paranoid. They are not allowed to dress up as anything I deem evil or gory...I think that is gross not fun. My 11 year old has been protesting that rule for 4 years now...but too bad, that's the way it is.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:54 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Ah, ok. I thought it looked awfully familiar! I am from CA and just moved away 2 years ago.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, but you're close.
Those are photos from the Hallowed Haunting Grounds, a private yard haunt in Studio City, Calif. which ran from 1973-2005.

The show was modeled after Disneyland's Haunted Mansion and it was very well done.
More about it as we get closer to Halloween, but here is a link to the website:
Hallowed Haunting Grounds

Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 52,767 times
Ok being of a Celtic Religion....here is the scoop for you Christians. "Halloween" or whatever you want to call it was "STOLEN" from our religion by your religion many many years ago to convert our followers to your path. Just like you did with many other "holy days" such as Christmas....ours again....Yule.

Now what does it have to do with witchcraft? Well there was a King in England that was crazed by the though that there were evil women after him and he chose to call them Witches...a bastardasation of Wica that ment Wise Man. He also got the great idea to give the evil devil who until that time had no discription....horns and cloven hooves (wow celtic again...know as The God or Jack of the Green). And seeing how one of the witches most holy of days fell on October 31st....he stated that it was of the devil.

Don't belive me.....look it up.

Should Halloween be practiced by Christians? No not at all. But that is just my view.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,330 times
This is so easy. Go to your local library and study the history of Halloween. Originally known as "All Hollow's Eve". It's totally connected to witchcraft. Don't be nieve.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
This is so easy. Go to your local library and study the history of Halloween. Originally known as "All Hollow's Eve". It's totally connected to witchcraft. Don't be nieve.
Actually "All Hallows Eve" means All Saints Eve....because it is the night before All Saints Day (All Hallows Day) that was created by the Roman Catholic Church to try to diminish the celebration of the Celtic holiday Samhain. This celebration also had nothing to do with witchcraft but was a celebration of the New Year which was November 1st. It also was the end of the harvest and the beginning of the cold, dark season when a lot of deaths occurred. The Celtics believed that the spirit world and the earthly world could communicate on the night before New Year. Their Druids would make predictions regarding the future and they would do sacrifices that night to honor their gods. But again no where was witchcraft involved. That is just false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality