Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been feeling like so many of our threads turn into an us against them kind of thing, particularly between atheists and believers although there are rifts within those two camps as well. I've been doing this for a few months now and many of the conversations have been repeated multiple times on the same subjects. I do enjoy discussing these ideas but it's becoming more evident all the time that many of us are just so far apart in our opinions and we hold them so strongly that we just end up butting heads and making each other upset. I was particularly troubled by WCRob's last thread and how it ended with his leaving the forum. I felt that went very badly and that he left this group feeling hurt. It wasn't really anyone's fault because people were just honestly speaking their mind but it did make me feel bad for him.
I have made some friends here though and since I tend to be a loner I feel that's a positive thing even though I just know them online. Anyway, there might not be much of a point to this thread but I'm wondering if any of you are feeling the same frustrations that I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I think that's a normal feeling, Montana, which I can say as somebody who's posted on message boards before... political boards are the same way, where it turns into an ongoing "liberal vs. conservative" fight. That's actually the reason I don't post on P&C anymore, since those arguments just get stupid after a while. But at least here, I feel like I'm learning new things every day, and meeting some great people in the process.

Just try to focus on the positives, and don't allow yourself to get into the silly fights... easier said than done, I know. But don't worry, I'm sure we all have these thoughts once in a while! As long as it's not affecting your "real life" or stressing you out too much, I wouldn't let it get to you. For me, it's still a nice diversion when I'm bored, and I've learned to avoid the topics that usually go badly.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Yes, but I'm not sure how we can change that except maybe to agree to be a little more civil to each other about things. I think that's why the old adage that it's supposedly impolite to talk about "sex, religion or politics" at a party! People tend to disagree and get volatile! Here we mix up all 3 on the religion forum and ....kabluey:

Suggestions?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
kaykay, politics and religion are two of my favorite topics and I get just as worked up about politics.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, but I'm not sure how we can change that except maybe to agree to be a little more civil to each other about things. I think that's why the old adage that it's supposedly impolite to talk about "sex, religion or politics" at a party! People tend to disagree and get volatile! Here we mix up all 3 on the religion forum and ....kabluey:

Suggestions?
I think it's helpful to find some common ground, and to occasionally discuss non-religious topics - which kinda goes against the rules, but they do let us get away with it sometimes. For instance, the threads about where we grew up, what we look like, and so forth... it's harder to bicker & "yell", once we see each other as real humans (rather than just an online screen name). Know what I mean?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kaykay, politics and religion are two of my favorite topics and I get just as worked up about politics.
You didn't mention sex, MG! But yeah, seriously, the volatile topics can definitely be the most interesting! Go figure!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM

267 posts, read 533,647 times
Rob and Plad will be missed. But, I think people are leaving because they don't like being censored, not because of the conversations though I could be wrong

Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
Rob and Plad will be missed. But, I think people are leaving because they don't like being censored, not because of the conversations though I could be wrong
Plad left?

668 posts, read 682,234 times
Hey, it is the religion board. It's not a normal topic of conversation socially, unless with members of the same group. It will always be heated. I think the careful moderation (which got me kicked off for three days) is what makes this sharing of ideas possible.

Religion topic?

Last edited by Trebek; 07-16-2007 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: more imoticon issues

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
That is so weird that you started this thread...because I was actually thinking the same thing! See...yet another example of how an atheist and a Christian can agree without going around and around on the same topics!

I think that maybe it's just a matter of discussing new things that are genuine to the poster in his/her concerns?

Also, I think the book challenge will be a good start to some good new conversations as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality