Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:18 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I know I'd stay here in California if we could afford it.
I don't know if you taked to othe people about Texas, but I did a bunch of research and property taxes are through the roof. Just tying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 06:20 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
The Tower of Babel story is one of the more frivolous attempts by humans to explain their existence and relationship to God in the absence of scientific knowledge, social advancement, and spiritual enlightenment. The story also presumes that God was not wise enough to realize or to forsee that into the future not only would humans build modern skyscrapers that far exceed the height and engineering feat of the Tower of Babel, but would also fly and send astronauts to live in outer space on a routine basis.
God was not displeased just because the people built a tall tower. God was displeased because he told Noah and his children to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. However, the subsequent generations ignored this command. They were fruitful and multiplied but because they all spoke the same language, they decided they could be as powerful as God and they could achieve anything they wanted and not listen to Him. They decided to build this tower as an affront to God Almighty. They weren't doing it to His glory, but to their own. They did not spread out and fill the earth, either. They all stayed in the same region. That's why God forced them apart by confusing their language into many languages. IMHO, once again, it shows God's compassion and mercy because he gave them enough time to do what was right, but they failed to do so. So He gave them a shove in the direction He wanted them to go.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I have one question regarding this, though:

Why is it that back then the language caused people to separate, but yet now we look to band together (somewhat, anyway) despite this language barrier?
In my personal opinion, nothing biblically I can point to at this moment, I think we're trying to get back to the way we were, back to our roots so to speak. We are all one blood; one race - the human race; one kind - humankind. So I think, basically, now that we all know each other are out there, we're reconnecting, so to speak. If someone has a better answer, please share, I'm willing to listen.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
No, incest is not best. By the time of Lot, incest was banned because there was enough 'space' between the generations that you no longer had to marry a close relative. The only restriction on marriage by that time was to marry someone of your own faith. Lot's daughters knew what they were doing was wrong, that's why they got him drunk.
SO answer this...what was the object lesson there...why tell the story at all?

Like the rest of the bible I can only assume we were to learn something from it...what would that be?

AND where in the bible is there information that incest was banned by that time because they were enough generations away etc...I don't recollect reading that anywhere or are you just making it up to explain a VERY sordid passage in the bible.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
SO answer this...what was the object lesson there...why tell the story at all?

Like the rest of the bible I can only assume we were to learn something from it...what would that be?

AND where in the bible is there information that incest was banned by that time because they were enough generations away etc...I don't recollect reading that anywhere or are you just making it up to explain a VERY sordid passage in the bible.
The passages regarding Lot and his daughters was historical narrative written to show the geneology of the Moabites and Ammonites - where they came from. That is all.

In the passages describing what Lot's daughters did to him, it was stated Lot was unaware of what was going on. He did not initiate the acts. It is also written the daughters did this to preserve the family line. Also, simply because an act is recorded in the bible does not mean it is condoned as appropriate by God.

Brother-sister marriage is what was practiced to expand the population. Laws against incest exist today. However, incest is a modern word describing a variety of actions, some of which have always been sinful. The Biblical laws against brother-sister marriage were first instituted for the Israelites around 2000 years after Adam—during the time of Moses (Leviticus 18).

Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
God was not displeased just because the people built a tall tower. God was displeased because he told Noah and his children to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. However, the subsequent generations ignored this command. They were fruitful and multiplied but because they all spoke the same language, they decided they could be as powerful as God and they could achieve anything they wanted and not listen to Him. They decided to build this tower as an affront to God Almighty. They weren't doing it to His glory, but to their own. They did not spread out and fill the earth, either. They all stayed in the same region. That's why God forced them apart by confusing their language into many languages. IMHO, once again, it shows God's compassion and mercy because he gave them enough time to do what was right, but they failed to do so. So He gave them a shove in the direction He wanted them to go.
That's an interesting theory, but I don't buy it.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
your confusion comes from your perspective. we were created as gods in the image and likeness of the creator of the universe.gen.1:26. When we were "expelled from the garden",we were separated from the mind of God,hence our confusion and ignorance,but our nature did not change. We have roamed the earth ever since trying to use the mind of man to guide the creation of God without God. The present world state is the result

Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
No there were other people they lived outside of Edan, it was just hat adam and eve were special. I want to say the other palce was nod however i belive that is wrong.(my husband went to seminary for a year, Ill have to ask him more) Also when noah wa on the ark he took a pair of all animals (man is an animal )

Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
No there were other people they lived outside of Edan, it was just hat adam and eve were special. I want to say the other palce was nod however i belive that is wrong.
Yes, I agree (assuming that I step into the role of a Biblical literalist for a moment). There were other people, but Adam and Eve were God's special people. Cain was concerned that people would kill him for what he'd done. Not just his family, but "anyone who finds" him. Who exactly was he concerned about? These other people were in the land of Nod at least, and probably elsewhere as well. Cain resettled there after being expelled, and then married among them.

Genesis 4:13-15

13 Cain replied to the Lord, “My punishment[d] is too great for me to bear! 14 You have banished me from the land and from your presence; you have made me a homeless wanderer. Anyone who finds me will kill me!”

15 The Lord replied, “No, for I will give a sevenfold punishment to anyone who kills you.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain to warn anyone who might try to kill him. 16 So Cain left the Lord’s presence and settled in the land of Nod,[e] east of Eden.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 AM

8 posts, read 68,565 times
and I guess GOD made Africans/African-Americans with an extra bone in there leg or foot just for the hell of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality