Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,719,750 times

Advertisements

I was watching wife/swap on ABC last night (Monday) and the show had a wiccan mother chanting spells and the family she had swapped with "had" to chant prayers/spells with her.
ABC.com: Wife Swap, only on ABC

this is just an example, but do you feel that allowing shows, movies into you home that show satanic themes, such as some horror movies, nudity, etc, have an effect on your family?

To me the answer is an obvious yes, so I changed the channel, kinda felt weird about letting that into my home. Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,575,553 times
I live by myself so I don't have to worry about that but it's interesting that I get hundreds of channels including all of the pay movie channels and I often have a hard time finding something worth watching. I watch mostly educational, science, news and movies. The last time I watched a weekly sitcom was at least 25 years ago. The writing is so bad it's unbelievable and these reality shows are also something I have no interest in. I'd be much more concerned about the mediocrity of television programming than I would about occult or satanic shows. I actually like a good horror movie if it's well done. Most of them aren't well done but there's a few classics like The Exorcist which was a great movie and so was The Shining.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,177,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was watching wife/swap on ABC last night (Monday) and the show had a wiccan mother chanting spells and the family she had swapped with "had" to chant prayers/spells with her.
ABC.com: Wife Swap, only on ABC

this is just an example, but do you feel that allowing shows, movies into you home that show satanic themes, such as some horror movies, nudity, etc, have an effect on your family?

To me the answer is an obvious yes, so I changed the channel, kinda felt weird about letting that into my home. Anyone else feel the same way?
I don't know if watching an episode like that would have made me change the channel, but if it bugs you, then hey, flip it!

I do have a problem with certain things. For instance, the movie "The Exorcist" has always given me the heebie-jeebies and I actually like horror movies generally (though I rarely watch them now). So that is a movie that I wont allow in my home because I don't like the "vibe" or whatever you want to call it that the movie gives. I feel it would be letting something in my home that I don't want there.

But then again, we own all the Harry Potter movies...so I guess everyone has their own internal moniter for such things.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,177,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I live by myself so I don't have to worry about that but it's interesting that I get hundreds of channels including all of the pay movie channels and I often have a hard time finding something worth watching. I watch mostly educational, science, news and movies. The last time I watched a weekly sitcom was at least 25 years ago. The writing is so bad it's unbelievable and these reality shows are also something I have no interest in. I'd be much more concerned about the mediocrity of television programming than I would about occult or satanic shows. I actually like a good horror movie if it's well done. Most of them aren't well done but there's a few classics like The Exorcist which was a great movie and so was The Shining.
LOL! We both mention the same movie but in very different ways! I will agree the movie is indeed well-made. And I loved The Shining back when I saw it!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:43 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,695,631 times
Yes, we do the same thing. No Harry Potter, a lot of Disney etc. When Halloween comes around we pretty much shut the TV off due to all the shows on Disney and commercials out there.

I used to be a huge Grey's Anatomy fan but the sex just got out of control on the show. I've gotten to where I am way more selective about what I watch and what we allow our kids to watch on the TV.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,212,761 times
The extent of June's television viewing is basically The Independant Film Channel and Sundance. --Is there ANYTHING else out there that is actually worth watching these days???? Apart from those "Law and Order" re-runs, (which for some reason, I never seem to tire of) that's about it for dear old June....

Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,987,982 times
I turn junk off all the time - get so tired of all the offensive stuff...I don't want it to be part of me or my memories. We don't have HBO or any of the channels that show "adult" stuff - I either block them or won't pay for them.....I understand that HBO has a new series coming out that is extremely sexually explicit - when we canceled our HBO I told them exactly why I was canceling it - all that explicit stuff - I don't even want to see it for a second as I channel surf.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,211,777 times
Default No more for me...

Yes, arguy, you know me-the "resident extremist fanatic" I would also be bothered by that sort of thing and would turn it off.

The last time I actually watched a horror show I was in my early twenties (many moons ago.) I was home alone by myself late one Saturday night. My husband was at his office working late. I watched some horror flick on HBO and got so scared I actually called my husband at work and asked if he was about done working! He said he was and I told him that was good because he was gonna have to come home immediately! After that point, I swore off the horror movies!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,274,678 times
Being Wiccan is not being satanic...

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,695,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Being Wiccan is not being satanic...
Yeah you are right. I know we've had at least one thread on that topic. It's not satanic but it does not worship God as the creator of the earth and for many Christians that is an area we won't allow in our homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality