Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
So unless someone that isn't Christian wants to quote scripture as their posts and only talk about Christian beliefs they are welcome?
I certainly hope this does NOT become the case. I've said it repeatedly: this is the RELIGION forum, not the CHRISTIAN forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
To be honest, I think it's the same handful of people (on the religious side, and atheist side) that show anger and judgment. I try to completely ignore those posts. For the most part, I feel we have a really good group of people here.

I don't really understand the motivation of the angry atheists. Why be here? I also don't get the critical Christians. Thousands of people read these threads. We should at least be trying to reflect God's love.
I assume you are talking of the more blunt responses, like maybe that of people like myself?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I really am not here to cause anyone unpleasantries, but the 'really good group of people here' are not 'friends'. This is a debating internet board, and IMO a place for honest intellectual argument. If anyone makes a comment that I do not agree with then I will say so, backed up with a reason. If that comes accross as anger, then I can assure you, it isn't.

I'm here because its a place where certain religious people congregate and may, or may not, read non-agreeable responses to their religious convictions. If anyone would like to point out the idiosyncracies in my atheist attitude then great, I'm all ears.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I really am not here to cause anyone unpleasantries, but the 'really good group of people here' are not 'friends'.
You are forgiven, because you are wrong.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
I also agree with Jeff. As the purpose of the forum is not for "Christian fellowship", but rather a place for ALL to discuss their various beliefs, to debate, and learn about our differences, dissagreement is virtually certain. Personally I have no problem with someone "attacking" my values and beliefs....I don't feel it is anything personal. None of them know me, and I don't know them. If someone says my belief in God is "dumb and stupid", I just shrug my shoulders and think "Oh well....whatever....the Bible said that would happen....", then forget about it. I don't dwell on it for hours and hours, dreaming up ways to "get even". Everyone is free to believe what they want, we just don't have to agree, and vice-versa. Example (since his name was mentioned): I, for one, am very glad Montana Guy is on the forum, although obviously my beliefs don't agree with his. I still like him being here...we can just agree to disagree, that's all...I don't make a big deal out of it. I don't feel any hostility or bitterness about it. Same thing with Christians vs Christians, due to the different beliefs in the denominations. I doubt I can convince anyone to think like I do, and likewise I doubt they can change me. (although I might...if they can show me their viewpoint is the Bible...I am open to change, as God leads...) I am happy to be learning what others think...it's fun! My 2 cents....

Bud

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I also agree with Jeff. As the purpose of the forum is not for "Christian fellowship", but rather a place for ALL to discuss their various beliefs, to debate, and learn about our differences, dissagreement is virtually certain. Personally I have no problem with someone "attacking" my values and beliefs....I don't feel it is anything personal. None of them know me, and I don't know them. If someone says my belief in God is "dumb and stupid", I just shrug my shoulders and think "Oh well....whatever....the Bible said that would happen....", then forget about it. I don't dwell on it for hours and hours, dreaming up ways to "get even". Everyone is free to believe what they want, we just don't have to agree, and vice-versa. Example (since his name was mentioned): I, for one, am very glad Montana Guy is on the forum, although obviously my beliefs don't agree with his. I still like him being here...we can just agree to disagree, that's all...I don't make a big deal out of it. I don't feel any hostility or bitterness about it. Same thing with Christians vs Christians, due to the different beliefs in the denominations. I doubt I can convince anyone to think like I do, and likewise I doubt they can change me. (although I might...if they can show me their viewpoint is the Bible...I am open to change, as God leads...) I am happy to be learning what others think...it's fun! My 2 cents....

Bud
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BudinAk again. Dang it! Good post man.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I assume you are talking of the more blunt responses, like maybe that of people like myself?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I really am not here to cause anyone unpleasantries, but the 'really good group of people here' are not 'friends'. This is a debating internet board, and IMO a place for honest intellectual argument. If anyone makes a comment that I do not agree with then I will say so, backed up with a reason. If that comes accross as anger, then I can assure you, it isn't.

I'm here because its a place where certain religious people congregate and may, or may not, read non-agreeable responses to their religious convictions. If anyone would like to point out the idiosyncracies in my atheist attitude then great, I'm all ears.

Umm, actually I did not have you in mind at all. And I am all for a good debate. I was talking about people who come on solely for the sake of argument and whose hatred or narrowmindedness comes through above and beyond anything else.

I don't really know how you took my post so negatively, to be honest. Have we had some heated arguments I don't remember?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:46 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Umm, actually I did not have you in mind at all. And I am all for a good debate. I was talking about people who come on solely for the sake of argument and whose hatred or narrowmindedness comes through above and beyond anything else.

I don't really know how you took my post so negatively, to be honest. Have we had some heated arguments I don't remember?
I can think of at least one believer who is as bad as any non-believer I've ever run into. It's on both sides, for sure.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Well I love a good debate or argument but it certainly doesn't ever come out of hatred. I just gotta big ol' yap!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Smile Feel the love! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well I love a good debate or argument but it certainly doesn't ever come out of hatred. I just gotta big ol' yap!
Yeah, even Jeff and I love each other! So there's really hope for anybody, right!?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yeah, even Jeff and I love each other! So there's really hope for anybody, right!?
Oh kay, your one of my faves! I thought you knew that!

I can respect anyone that speaks what they believe with conviction and honesty, yet still remains respectful of others. Even if we disagree about "you know what".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality