Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Lets look at a word Jesus uses in Matthew, Jeff I havent looked at the word in Greek or Hebrew, but the word is destruction.
Definitions of destruction on the Web:

the termination of something by causing so much damage to it that it cannot be repaired or no longer exists
an event (or the result of an event) that completely destroys something

So if we ask questions what did Jesus mean by this?

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

the def for few is....an indefinite but relatively small number
Could it be the sin nature that is being destroyed here? And not the eternal soul?

And is destruction the same as eternal torture? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Why in the world would anyone in their right mind refuse to be saved in such a scenario?

I'm quite sure that if God were to come down and drive around using a megaphone offering salvation to all who wants it He would have a much bigger turnout that He is currently getting!

You guys can dance around it all day long--if what you believe is true then the sin of Adam outstrips the blood of Christ.

And kaykay, there are TONS of other verses that say the same. Furthermore, even if there were not, you can't just throw out the verses that suit your fancy. How do you all reconcile this and other verses?
its friday, i feel like dancing, er jogging idk...if this is true jeff..another question...why didnt God save ALL the people during the flood, and just save NOAHS family???
hmmmmthey had never SAW rain before, they couldnt reach out and touch it, they cuddint smell it, and how long did Noah have to try and warn them? But when that door was shut, they were outta luck.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
its friday, i feel like dancing, er jogging idk...if this is true jeff..another question...why didnt God save ALL the people during the flood, and just save NOAHS family???
hmmmm
Because that was just physical death. Had it been something that would eternally effect them then it would have been different, IMO.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:

And is destruction the same as eternal torture? No.
You could easier make a case for annihilationism (which I don't believe either) than you can for universalism.

Isn't there also a scripture in which Jesus says we should fear God who can destroy both body and soul in hell? Maybe someone can find it specifically, but that's pretty much what He says. That doesn't just sound like destroying "the sin nature to me."

Old 07-20-2007, 09:28 AM

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell matthew 10:18

Old 07-20-2007, 09:30 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell matthew 10:18
That's it, arguy! Thanks!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
So then, since you believe in eternal torture, what does this verse mean to you?

How can God declare perfect victory if sin still exists in hell? How can Jesus reconcile all things to Himself and then hand it all up to God so that God can become all in all? What does all mean to you?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
So then, since you believe in eternal torture, what does this verse mean to you?
well im gonna say your gonna say..that it simply means to reverence God..i.e..fear him, and that it doesnt mean God will destroy your soul in hell but has the power to do so? am i correct a mundo?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
well im gonna say your gonna say..that it simply means to reverence God..i.e..fear him, and that it doesnt mean God will destroy your soul in hell but has the power to do so? am i correct a mundo?
No Arguy, I'm asking YOU--how do you interpret this verse?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 AM

BTW guys I'm outta here in bit, we (employees) are getting paid to go to a picnic this afternoon. So you can soon put down your clubs and stop beating the dead horse with me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality