Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM

88,077 posts, read 83,946,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why do people ask questions like this? I'm a Christian and I believe in the ice age (or ages). Why wouldn't I? The Bible is not a science book. Why would it contain information on the ice age?
Really. How could people back then have possibly known about an ice age?

They ask questions like this because it's fun for some people to believe that all Christians adhere to the 6000-year-old earth story. Stereotyping is always easier than thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,024,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really. How could people back then have possibly known about an ice age?

They ask questions like this because it's fun for some people to believe that all Christians adhere to the 6000-year-old earth story. Stereotyping is always easier than thinking.

lol and many Christians believe in evolution..... I remember going to church as a kid with neighbors and coming home and saying that I couldn't be a christian and believe in evolution....

my dad said nonsence, you can and I do....

He eventually forbade me from going to church with them....lol

But I just don't get some of these questions..... So much is common sense......

Do some Christians really just lose the ability to think??

One of the smartest things my family ever did was to not indoctrinate me....

Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
lol and many Christians believe in evolution..... I remember going to church as a kid with neighbors and coming home and saying that I couldn't be a christian and believe in evolution....

my dad said nonsence, you can and I do....

He eventually forbade me from going to church with them....lol

But I just don't get some of these questions..... So much is common sense......

Do some Christians really just lose the ability to think??

One of the smartest things my family ever did was to not indoctrinate me....
My daughter's high school boyfriend was the son of a pastor of the bible-worshipping type of church. When she first started going to church with him, one of her friends warned her that the church was going to try to tell her that the earth was only 6000 years old and that dinosaurs and humans lived together in peace and harmony. She thought he was kidding, and then she came home one day in shock to tell me that they really did believe that. She was baptized Episcopalian, a church that holds the God-given ability to reason in high regard, and I took her there when she was little, but after 9/11 I became disillusioned for a time with Christianity in general because of some of the reactions of the church to the events, and I stopped going. I've since returned to the Episcopal church for various personal reasons, but she has gone to college, broken up with the boyfriend, and is currently interested in Buddhism and Eastern thought.

My own mother is more of a bible-believer, even though she often misunderstands what it said in sometimes humorous ways, and my father was a devout Christian who kept his religious thoughts private, but he was very intelligent and a thinker and more concerned with how he conducted his own life than in trying to preach to others.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Some Christians do lost the ability to think, or maybe they are just people who never had the tendency in the first place.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
My daughter's high school boyfriend was the son of a pastor of the bible-worshipping type of church. When she first started going to church with him, one of her friends warned her that the church was going to try to tell her that the earth was only 6000 years old and that dinosaurs and humans lived together in peace and harmony. She thought he was kidding, and then she came home one day in shock to tell me that they really did believe that. She was baptized Episcopalian, a church that holds the God-given ability to reason in high regard, and I took her there when she was little, but after 9/11 I became disillusioned for a time with Christianity in general because of some of the reactions of the church to the events, and I stopped going. I've since returned to the Episcopal church for various personal reasons, but she has gone to college, broken up with the boyfriend, and is currently interested in Buddhism and Eastern thought.

My own mother is more of a bible-believer, even though she often misunderstands what it said in sometimes humorous ways, and my father was a devout Christian who kept his religious thoughts private, but he was very intelligent and a thinker and more concerned with how he conducted his own life than in trying to preach to others.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Some Christians do lost the ability to think, or maybe they are just people who never had the tendency in the first place.
My parents were non practicing Christians who never brought up in anything and I learned about all kinds of religions growing up. Now I am Jewish because I finally realized that when my son at 8 came home and told me something he learned in Sunday school...... It was a wake up call and I knew then that I needed to change direction. I stopped going and never looked back and finally completely walked away from Christianity permanently. It was the best decision I ever made.....

Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
My parents were non practicing Christians who never brought up in anything and I learned about all kinds of religions growing up. Now I am Jewish because I finally realized that when my son at 8 came home and told me something he learned in Sunday school...... It was a wake up call and I knew then that I needed to change direction. I stopped going and never looked back and finally completely walked away from Christianity permanently. It was the best decision I ever made.....
It seems to me from your posts that you've found the place where you belong.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
It seems to me from your posts that you've found the place where you belong.
Yes I have and 2 of my children made the choice to become Jewish too. My oldest will choose what he wants to be when he thinks it is important but at 16 religion is the last thing he thinks of....

He will be supported what ever his choice...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,152,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
The Bible talks about the creation of the heaven and earths, animals, humans and what happened after. I am pretty sure the Bio of Ben Franklin doesn't delve that deep.
So does The Silmarillion and other fantasy novels

Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 PM

38,608 posts, read 26,236,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I imagine that Christians that believe the bible is literal (The earth was created some 6,000 years ago) would not allow themselves to believe in an ice age since the Earth is in an ice age now. It started about 2 million years ago and is known as the Quaternary Period. Despite the many warm periods since then, we identify the entire time as one ice age because of the continuous existence of at least one large ice sheet—the one over Antarctica. (The glaciers and the Greenland ice sheet are also of long standing, but they are more recent). We are currently enjoying a warm interval: our climate represents an interglacial period that began about 10 000 years ago. The preceding glacial period lasted about 80 000 years.

The Bible says the earth is 6,000 years old?

Chapter and verse please.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Buuuuuuuuuutttttttttt AN and DR, Isn't the bible historical?????? Really where are your heads????

The Bible is many things.

It is historical, but it is also prophetic.

Some claim the historical part of the Bible gets history wrong.

They are usually the same people who don't know it gets the future correct.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
It is scientifically accepted that there have been ice ages.... But ice ages are not in the bible.....

Neither are corn dogs.

What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality